U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,486,094 times

Advertisements

What is the most friendliest place you been to in Australia? What is the least friendliest place you been to in Australia as well? I can name some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM

I find Sydney esp some parts of Western Sydney the least friendly people. I spent alot of time there. Even if they were friendly they were quite fake people. The friendliest places here are some small towns right thought the country. Not all small towns I found the people that friendly.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
I think the Gold Coast is the worst.

A lot of rural towns are pretty friendly overall. The connection I have found is that if the town is nicely kept up, the streets are clean and people have their houses in good shape, that usually is a good sign people are nice.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 PM

3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think the Gold Coast is the worst.

A lot of rural towns are pretty friendly overall. The connection I have found is that if the town is nicely kept up, the streets are clean and people have their houses in good shape, that usually is a good sign people are nice.
I will second that!

Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,036,345 times
Sydney is well known as unfriendly, particularly the southern and western suburbs. It is usual to not know who your neighbours are, and/or never see them.
Country towns vary, and coastal (or near coastal) towns can be quite stand-offish for a long period of time.
Locals can be quite parochial in some towns.
Some isolated towns, like Esperance WA, can be surprisingly friendly - after spending a whole summer working there.
Perth seems ok, but places like Mandurah not so.
We have friends that have moved to Brisbane, and they find it friendly, by contrast my mother has lived in the nearby Lockyer Valley for nearly 20 years - and finds the exact opposite, and has never been accepted there.
I spent a small period in the Qld Darling Downs, and found it friendly.
Greater Newcastle and the Lower Hunter Valley is friendly enough, without being overly so. Our kids have grown up here and that makes a difference, meeting people through schools etc.
It is very much hit-and-miss whether you find a place friendly, depends on what area or suburb you are in, and what you have in common with the locals.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:26 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,615,014 times
Queenslanders tend to be very unfriendly especially if you tell them you hail from Victoria or NSW . Queenslanders do not particularly like you especially if you come from a racial background and hold liberal views I could never live there - their conservative views would drive me insane LOL *joke*

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 11-25-2011 at 06:12 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 06:02 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
I think the rural/urban thing doesn't always hold true...I think nowadays you can't really dillineate things like friendliness as much on a locational basis but there definitely are differences. From my travels:

Perth - Friendly by Australian standards, but has become less so. Perth people can strike up a convo quite naturally.

Melbourne - Friendlier than you'd expect. I've had as many conversations with strangers/people help me as in Perth. You still get a bit of the big city curtness (the drivers for instance).

Sydney - The worst city I've been to. Lots of rude and pushy people, but again a generalisation. I never felt very comfortable in the posh Eastern suburbs where my aunty lives. People there seem suspicious and very private. There seem to be more tourists/out of towners and business people in the CBD.

Adelaide - A bit of a mixed bag but subjectively speaking I didn't find them particularly friendly. SA people seem parochial, conservative and stuck in the past. Much of the 'burbs of Adelaide are bogan central.

Brisbane - Similar to Perth. They still have more of a small town familarity vs Sydney and Melbourne to an extent. I haven't spent that much time here so can't say much.

Gold Coast - Basically the Australian version of Vegas or Miami as far as people go. Full of tourists, transients and oldies.

Rural areas

WA...country areas tend to be a bit friendlier, places like Margaret River with a lot of sea changers less so...Bridgetown is a mixed bag. Folks in the Wheatbelt, Midwest, Kimberley embody the older Australian spirit.

Had some weird experiences in some of the smaller towns in SA. Walked into a pub once and everyone just stared at me. I asked them where the nearest servo was and you could hear a pin drop. Never experienced that anywhere else in Oz but that was just one town so who knows...some rural parts of SA were pretty friendly like the Barossa but maybe they do that to butter up tourists.

Rural Queensland I didn't find particularly friendly or bad either way. But then I didn't spent much time there.

Hard to say about rural NSW...it varied a bit, but not particularly friendly either. Rural Vic maybe a bit moreso actually.

Tasmanians were pretty friendly. Some of them are stuck in the 1950s or something. They aren't as friendly as New Zealanders from the South Island though imo.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Sydney is well known as unfriendly, particularly the southern and western suburbs. It is usual to not know who your neighbours are, and/or never see them.
Country towns vary, and coastal (or near coastal) towns can be quite stand-offish for a long period of time.
Locals can be quite parochial in some towns.
Some isolated towns, like Esperance WA, can be surprisingly friendly - after spending a whole summer working there.
Perth seems ok, but places like Mandurah not so.
We have friends that have moved to Brisbane, and they find it friendly, by contrast my mother has lived in the nearby Lockyer Valley for nearly 20 years - and finds the exact opposite, and has never been accepted there.
I spent a small period in the Qld Darling Downs, and found it friendly.
Greater Newcastle and the Lower Hunter Valley is friendly enough, without being overly so. Our kids have grown up here and that makes a difference, meeting people through schools etc.
It is very much hit-and-miss whether you find a place friendly, depends on what area or suburb you are in, and what you have in common with the locals.
Well for the western parts of Sydney I find it rare for someone to be very sincere, ether people are friendly because they want something for you. If I encounter people that are very sincere and friendly are not from western sydney and just work there or go to the universities there.

I have lived in an small town in the blue mountains and I have never been really accepted there. But I now in the Lockyer Valley and I find the people real friendly here. But I have not been there for long and dont wish to spent too long there. I have lived in Brisbane for over an month and I dont find the people that friendly but friendlier than Sydney. I lived in Melbourne and find the people even more friendlier there than Brisbane.

I find the people in Adelaide quite friendly and more so than Melbourne.

I been to Newcastle and find the locals quite friendly but have not spent much time there.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:14 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Wondering why people are singling out Western Sydney? Where my aunty lives in the wealthy harbourside suburbs certainly isn't friendly.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,477,165 times
I think there are friendly and un-friendly people all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or