U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,036,345 times

Advertisements

Just found this to be useful:

List of supermarket chains in Oceania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd forgotten about Jewell supermarkets in NSW as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_F...res_(Australia)

Last edited by Derek40; 11-29-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: extra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Don't you folks find IGA prices higher than Coles? I always did. Woolies seemed to have the cheapest prices of the 3 (Wool, Coles, IGA).
When I lived in SA, I did try to buy Aussie, when possible. Even living in the US, I try to buy ONLY Aussie wine and I still buy only Coopers beer.
The only kiwi product I've seen for sale in the US is Sauv Blanc wine, sea salt and water. There are a lot more Aussie products available (lamb, wines, tim tams, Holden Commodores)
Yeah IGA is generally more expensive than the 'big two'. My mum complains that junk food is almost always on special (it's rare to find Tim Tams NOT on special lol...I blame 99 cent Tim Tams for my weight problems, lol jk). The fresh produce at IGA often leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The missus shops at Woolies mainly, supposedly for better fresh produce.
I tend to get a few bits and pieces from local Coles as well.
There is an Aldi nearby but seldom use it, and IGA is too expensive (and less choice).
Unfortunately the duopoly of Coles and Woolies is well entrenched now, as they also own Big W (Woolies), K-Mart and Target (Coles-Myer) as well.
When I was a kid, Franklins and to a lesser extent Flemings challenged the Big 2, and there were even others like Half-Case and Safeway (before it was taken over by Woolies), which have now fallen by the wayside.
Campbell's Cash and Carry was going to be the next big thing, but it never happened.
Yeah I definitely preferred it when there was more variety. Now everything is a Coles, Woolies or IGA. I've been to Aldi in Victoria and frankly not missing much here in WA. What's with the pitiful range of products, and all these brands I've never heard of? lol

Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I definitely preferred it when there was more variety. Now everything is a Coles, Woolies or IGA. I've been to Aldi in Victoria and frankly not missing much here in WA. What's with the pitiful range of products, and all these brands I've never heard of? lol
Yeah, that's what I thought of Aldi too. When I was in Melbourne for work, staying in an apartment, I went to Aldi expecting something along the line of Costco in the US or Canada, just smaller. Instead I found a depressing place, with stuff randomly everywhere, unknown brands and weird people in there with miserable check out chicks. I wasn't so desperate to save $2 so I went to Coles, where I always shopped in Perth. Sometimes Woolies as well but the Coles near me was nice and their meats were excellent.

IGA in Perth - some are good, like the Gwelup and Innaloo ones but others are pretty tired with high prices and wilted produce that should have been tossed in the bin three days ago. I still remember the time I went to the local IGA on a Sunday to buy a leek. It was wilted, turning brown, and they wanted $4.99 for it! I changed my menu plan. Coles and Woolies had them for $2.39.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought of Aldi too. When I was in Melbourne for work, staying in an apartment, I went to Aldi expecting something along the line of Costco in the US or Canada, just smaller. Instead I found a depressing place, with stuff randomly everywhere, unknown brands and weird people in there with miserable check out chicks. I wasn't so desperate to save $2 so I went to Coles, where I always shopped in Perth. Sometimes Woolies as well but the Coles near me was nice and their meats were excellent.

IGA in Perth - some are good, like the Gwelup and Innaloo ones but others are pretty tired with high prices and wilted produce that should have been tossed in the bin three days ago. I still remember the time I went to the local IGA on a Sunday to buy a leek. It was wilted, turning brown, and they wanted $4.99 for it! I changed my menu plan. Coles and Woolies had them for $2.39.
When I was living in Bridgetown the IGA was the only supermarket in town so that's where I did most of my shopping. You'd expect a supermarket in the country, close to the source of a lot of the produce, to have fresh veggies but a lot of the time I was disappointed. Lots of sad wilted produce, and sometimes they didn't have the most basic of things, like broccoli or something. They were quite often totally out of chicken too, for instance. The fruit was a bit better, but you come to expect that living in the biggest apple and stone-fruit growing area in the state (moreso Donnybrook and surrounding areas these days). There are so many farms, orchids and places like the Fruit Barn to buy good fruit there anyway.

I've never been to Costco but heard about it. It's a British chain right? Yeah I don't know how there are so many Aldi places, nothing great about them at all.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM

973 posts, read 1,403,115 times
Quote:
When I was living in Bridgetown the IGA was the only supermarket in town so that's where I did most of my shopping. You'd expect a supermarket in the country, close to the source of a lot of the produce, to have fresh veggies but a lot of the time I was disappointed. Lots of sad wilted produce, and sometimes they didn't have the most basic of things, like broccoli or something. They were quite often totally out of chicken too, for instance. The fruit was a bit better, but you come to expect that living in the biggest apple and stone-fruit growing area in the state (moreso Donnybrook and surrounding areas these days). There are so many farms, orchids and places like the Fruit Barn to buy good fruit there anyway.

I've never been to Costco but heard about it. It's a British chain right? Yeah I don't know how there are so many Aldi places, nothing great about them at all.
Costco is a big box retail/discounter from the United States. It sells in bulk, think of a Campbells but retail.

Aldi (Sud) which is Aldis in Australia is a different concept, it stocks less brands and usually less well known but cheaper brands and then stocks them on the pallet. No shelf packing etc. It's meant to be a lot cheaper than traditional supermarkets.

Does Woolies still have it's downmarket Food 4 Less branded stores which basically took over from Franklins?

Will be back in a couple of weeks and my food (promite) shopping will necessitate going to one or the other.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:45 PM

51 posts, read 61,872 times
I try to avoid them both. I tend to buy some staples at Aldi and I shop at warehouse supermarkets where I can find dry goods at great bulk prices (I wish we lived near Costco!) Our fresh foods mostly come from farmers markets, and we buy bulk wherever possible.

IGA prices vary quite a bit outside of their main specials, so a large IGA can often be cheap. Small ones tend to be pricey.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,327 times
Quote:
Costco is great. Where else can you get cheap steaks, Pol Roger, toilet paper and a $100k diamond ring all under one roof!

Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times
Quote:
Costco is American - out of Washington state. They merged with the original big warehouse store, Price Club, which started in San Diego.

Was just there this afternoon. Picked up a memory foam mattress pad, pillows, towels, slippers, a multi-function printer, a jacket, maple syrup, paper towels, a dog bed, etc.

Some of the food items are too big though. Great for big families but I didn't want to store 10lbs of Quaker Oats ($7.89) for the year it'd take us to eat the stuff, or stuff the fridge with the 2 litres of Hellman's mayo ($6.89 - which is what I believe 250ml costs in Perth.). I also bought a bag of limes for $2.69 which is what Coles was selling them for in Perth for one. Problem is, it's easy to go crazy there, you have to be very disciplined.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Costco is American - out of Washington state. They merged with the original big warehouse store, Price Club, which started in San Diego.

Was just there this afternoon. Picked up a memory foam mattress pad, pillows, towels, slippers, a multi-function printer, a jacket, maple syrup, paper towels, a dog bed, etc.

Some of the food items are too big though. Great for big families but I didn't want to store 10lbs of Quaker Oats ($7.89) for the year it'd take us to eat the stuff, or stuff the fridge with the 2 litres of Hellman's mayo ($6.89 - which is what I believe 250ml costs in Perth.). I also bought a bag of limes for $2.69 which is what Coles was selling them for in Perth for one. Problem is, it's easy to go crazy there, you have to be very disciplined.
Have you moved already? How has that been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand