U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM

9,326 posts, read 19,019,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcroc View Post
I try to avoid them both. I tend to buy some staples at Aldi and I shop at warehouse supermarkets where I can find dry goods at great bulk prices (I wish we lived near Costco!) Our fresh foods mostly come from farmers markets, and we buy bulk wherever possible.

IGA prices vary quite a bit outside of their main specials, so a large IGA can often be cheap. Small ones tend to be pricey.
Tell me about it. We had a small one on Melbourne Street in North Adelaide, which is a fairly affluent area. I'd go only in an emergency as their prices were Tokyo expensive (okay maybe cheaper than Tokyo, but still ridiculous). Not far away was a giant IGA on O'Connell Street in the same suburb, much more reasonable for prices and good seafood (dozen oysters for $10.00).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,136,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Tell me about it. We had a small one on Melbourne Street in North Adelaide, which is a fairly affluent area. I'd go only in an emergency as their prices were Tokyo expensive (okay maybe cheaper than Tokyo, but still ridiculous). Not far away was a giant IGA on O'Connell Street in the same suburb, much more reasonable for prices and good seafood (dozen oysters for $10.00).
And north of Geppes Cross it's dearer again!

Not unlike LPG, I can throw a stone on the gas tanks at the LPG production facility from where I am, and yet we pay MORE for gas up here than you do 400K's away in the city??? As supermarkets are tied together with their pricing, so LPG is tied together with petrol pricing, regardless of where it's produced.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
And north of Geppes Cross it's dearer again!

Not unlike LPG, I can throw a stone on the gas tanks at the LPG production facility from where I am, and yet we pay MORE for gas up here than you do 400K's away in the city??? As supermarkets are tied together with their pricing, so LPG is tied together with petrol pricing, regardless of where it's produced.
Ahhh Geppes Cross... an intersection I know and loath immensely!
Can you ship Farmers Union Iced Coffee, Balfours frogs and Haighs chocolate to the states? LOL..

Old 12-05-2011, 12:19 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,516,464 times
Must say ~ Haigh's Chocolate is one of the best things to ever come out of Adelaide.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Must say ~ Haigh's Chocolate is one of the best things to ever come out of Adelaide.
Holden cars (Holden started in ADL), Grange shiraz, hill of grace shiraz, Haighs, pie floaters, and me.. LOL.

PS (gasp) Im happy with Cadbury fruit and nuts

Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM

973 posts, read 1,408,983 times
Quote:
Holden cars (Holden started in ADL), Grange shiraz, hill of grace shiraz, Haighs, pie floaters, and me.. LOL.

And not to forget Coopers and R.M. Williams (if you include Grange and Hill of Grace being from "Adelaide").

Old 12-05-2011, 05:48 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,516,464 times
Quote:

Meh; Holdens. I'm a European supercar or American muscle car kinda girl

Grange; yes. The taste I had once was nice.... and of course Mini

oh dear, Cadbury's.... thats last resort kinda stuff !!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,021,766 times
Quote:

Pie floaters, you can't be serious!!!! That's almost as bad as when the Kiwis try to claim pavlova.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
And not to forget Coopers and R.M. Williams (if you include Grange and Hill of Grace being from "Adelaide").
ah my beloved Coopers. How could I have forgotten to mention thee, my beloved sweet nectar of home.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Pie floaters, you can't be serious!!!! That's almost as bad as when the Kiwis try to claim pavlova.
Supposedly it was invented on Light Square in the city. Its also an SA Heritage icon. I don't really care if it were invented by cockroaches or by South Australians. I like it. Much like pavlovas, if kiwis want to claim it.. good on em, they has so little to claim of anything significant, I say give em the pav. I pity them and thank God that I'm not an Aussie hating jealous kiwi (there's so many of em)

BTW, when I ordered a pie floater at an Aussie pie shop in Boston they owner (from NSW) said.. you must be from Adelaide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand