U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Supposedly it was invented on Light Square in the city. Its also an SA Heritage icon. I don't really care if it were invented by cockroaches or by South Australians. I like it. Much like pavlovas, if kiwis want to claim it.. good on em, they has so little to claim of anything significant, I say give em the pav. I pity them.
They have Russel Crowe when we don't want him (usually after throwing phones at people etc)

Quote:
BTW, when I ordered a pie floater at an Aussie pie shop in Boston they owner (from NSW) said.. you must be from Adelaide.
Maybe they are a SA thing. I've only ever seen them in SA and NSW though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
ick.
Most certainly not a Victorian thing

Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 5,180,049 times
Ive never seen a pie floater, although pies are not something i eat regularly.

The photos i got doing a google search did not look very tempting thats for sure.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Holden cars (Holden started in ADL), Grange shiraz, hill of grace shiraz, Haighs, pie floaters, and me.. LOL.

PS (gasp) Im happy with Cadbury fruit and nuts
Holden, you mean GM's Australian branch? lol.

Haigh's isn't that good tbh. But neither Daryl Lea or that other one, Johnny something, is that fantastic. Just pretty decent sort of commercialized chocolatiers. I think the smaller ones are better. Tasmania has a few.

A pie floater might actually not be as bad as it sounds. Pea soup can taste nicer than it sounds too.

I'm jealous of your Central Markets...we really need something like that in the West.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM

IMO Darrell Lea is no where near the quality of Haigh's. Trust me, I worked there for a few years through highschool wearing that horrendeous uniform... DL chocolate isn't very good, they're liquorice is okay.

Koko Black is the best in terms of chain, except they're not in Sydney yet.

Not sure of the Johnny one you're talking about... ?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,130,623 times
Good old Blue Boiler pea soup, with bacon bones added {or just plain bacon rashers chopped up and tossed in}, and with or without the pie, as long there is a bottle of tomato sauce handy <g>.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,976 times
Quote:
Supposedly it was invented on Light Square in the city. Its also an SA Heritage icon.
Seems you're correct, it is indeed a SA thing.

I shall now go and eat humble pie floater.

Agree with Artemis about Darryl Lea the chocolate is sub-par but the liquorice is pretty good.

This place

http://www.justwilliam.com.au/

Is right near my house and is pretty good. Although I'm not a huge chocolate eater. There's also a Max Brenner about 3 minutes walk from my place, and the hot chocolates there are very tasty on a winter day!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM

Just William is a must, when shopping on William St ...

Max Brenner is okay. their cinnamon babka (cue Seinfeld) is good. I like the chocolate pipe thingy... a-la Willy Wonka

Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,957,138 times
A sad state of affairs having no real competition here in WA. Don't even get Aldi in this state. I tend to shop mostly at Woolworths being so near to the house or on occassions IGA which is even closer but limited and more expensive.
There isn't any feasible alternative in my case. If only we had a proper market as has been remarked already Adelaide has.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Holden, you mean GM's Australian branch? lol.

Haigh's isn't that good tbh. But neither Daryl Lea or that other one, Johnny something, is that fantastic. Just pretty decent sort of commercialized chocolatiers. I think the smaller ones are better. Tasmania has a few.

A pie floater might actually not be as bad as it sounds. Pea soup can taste nicer than it sounds too.

I'm jealous of your Central Markets...we really need something like that in the West.

Holden is still an Australian icon. As much as Vegemite (owned by Kraft foods USA) or Tim tams (Pepperidge Farms USA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand