U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,467,965 times

Advertisements

Which ever one has Doritos on special
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,014,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Holden is still an Australian icon. As much as Vegemite (owned by Kraft foods USA) or Tim tams (Pepperidge Farms USA).
Agree.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 AM

973 posts, read 1,404,403 times
Quote:
Holden is still an Australian icon. As much as Vegemite (owned by Kraft foods USA) or Tim tams (Pepperidge Farms USA).
You do bring up an interesting issue, is a Pepperidge Farms Tim Tam the same as an Arnotts Tim Tam, as is a Pontiac G8 the same as a Holden Commodore?

Tasted both and especially in the new packaging the Pepperidge Farms Tim Tam is a little sweeter than the Arnotts.

As yet Kraft have not repackaged Vegemite into something else - Nutella Salty for instance.

PS - slight correction Tim Tams/ Arnotts are owned by the Campbell Company and Pepperidge Farms is one of their brands.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,988,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
You do bring up an interesting issue, is a Pepperidge Farms Tim Tam the same as an Arnotts Tim Tam, as is a Pontiac G8 the same as a Holden Commodore?

Tasted both and especially in the new packaging the Pepperidge Farms Tim Tam is a little sweeter than the Arnotts.

As yet Kraft have not repackaged Vegemite into something else - Nutella Salty for instance.

PS - slight correction Tim Tams/ Arnotts are owned by the Campbell Company and Pepperidge Farms is one of their brands.

Thanks for the correction (Campbell). I am well versed in Tim Tams and yes the Pepperidge Farms Tim Tam is the same as the one from Arnotts. I had both packages once and me and a mate from Melbourne did our taste test. Also the Arnott's Tim Tams are made in the same factory, they just change the packaging, and shipped over from Oz.

The Tim Tams that taste DIFFERENT are those made in Indonesia. While on holiday in Thailand I picked up Indo Tim Tams and blech.. they must not use good quality milk.

I've never tried Nutella Salty, is that available stateside? I did a google and could not find a nutella salty.

Finally the only difference between the Commodore and the G8 (aside from steering wheel location) is body kit. At least this is what my mates who work at the factory told me. I remember going for a drive to Port Adelaide to see thousands of Pontiacs awaiting shipping to the states. Odd as we knew they were Holdens.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-07-2011 at 10:17 AM..

Old 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,322,805 times
Other than fish & chips and Tim Tam, I can't remember the shape & size & taste of any Australian chocolates. Not implying anything here.
Having said that, we do not have good nougats here, and the only types I could find are imported from Australia; oh, they are just ok, not the best. I know that you have better nougats, but I just can't remember the brand names.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:33 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Quote:
Finally the only difference between the Commodore and the G8 (aside from steering wheel location) is body kit. At least this is what my mates who work at the factory told me. I remember going for a drive to Port Adelaide to see thousands of Pontiacs awaiting shipping to the states. Odd as we knew they were Holdens.
Correct, the G8 was a Commodore, just with a different front and rear end clip and some other changes for the USA market. The car is also sold in left hand drive to South Africa, Brazil and the Middle East as the Chevy Lumina.

When the G8 went out of production, GM had around 1500 front and rear clips left which they used to make a limited edition Commodore for the Australian market.

G8 only lasted for 2 model years. However the Commodore is back in the USA as a new police car called the Chevy PPV. And it is possible when the Commodore receives it's next redesign the car will come back to the USA as a Chevy.

The Holden Commodore ute almost ended up here as well but the 2008 GFC put paid to that.

Also V8 Supercars is coming to Texas in 2013.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,404,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Correct, the G8 was a Commodore, just with a different front and rear end clip and some other changes for the USA market. The car is also sold in left hand drive to South Africa, Brazil and the Middle East as the Chevy Lumina.

When the G8 went out of production, GM had around 1500 front and rear clips left which they used to make a limited edition Commodore for the Australian market.

G8 only lasted for 2 model years. However the Commodore is back in the USA as a new police car called the Chevy PPV. And it is possible when the Commodore receives it's next redesign the car will come back to the USA as a Chevy.

The Holden Commodore ute almost ended up here as well but the 2008 GFC put paid to that.

Also V8 Supercars is coming to Texas in 2013.
Actually the Chevy PPV is based upon the Holden Caprice (and now discontinued Statesman) which is also the Buick Regal in China (I think its the Regal, you never know with all the different GM names).

There was a rumour that the Commodore was going to be the basis for the new Impala.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Actually the Chevy PPV is based upon the Holden Caprice (and now discontinued Statesman) which is also the Buick Regal in China (I think its the Regal, you never know with all the different GM names).

There was a rumour that the Commodore was going to be the basis for the new Impala.
I'm aware of the Statesman/Caprice connection but I was keeping it simple for those not into cars. The VE platform underpins all of them.

There is talk of Chevy bringing the Commodore over here, but I haven't heard anything lately.

A few of the Chevy PPV's have been trickling into civilian hands though here in the USA.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,487,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Other than fish & chips and Tim Tam, I can't remember the shape & size & taste of any Australian chocolates. Not implying anything here.
Having said that, we do not have good nougats here, and the only types I could find are imported from Australia; oh, they are just ok, not the best. I know that you have better nougats, but I just can't remember the brand names.
Tim Tam will do that. Every other chocolate biscuit pales in significance.

I hope you did the slam.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,014,109 times
Am I the only one who doesn't like fish and chips? To me they're a bit like communism, sounds great in theory but in reality I take one bite and I feel sick.

Yes, fairly OT, but someone mentioned fish and chips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand