U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times

Advertisements

ha! I think Vichel's been pretty relaxed on the off-topic of this thread!

Hmm. Good fish n chips are good. Bad are horrible.
I prefer non-battered fish and potato cakes *the correct word*

but yeah too much fried isn't nice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 12:32 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Tim Tam will do that. Every other chocolate biscuit pales in significance.

I hope you did the slam.
That's what I thought, until I discovered those imported European bikkies. Still love Tim Tams though!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like fish and chips? To me they're a bit like communism, sounds great in theory but in reality I take one bite and I feel sick.

Yes, fairly OT, but someone mentioned fish and chips.
Fish and chips is great when you're craving something greasy. But when very hungry the idea of all that grease kind of makes me feel ill to. Like chocolate, it's great, but the idea of say having it for breakfast is a bit nauseating. I think sometimes the portions are too big, especially the chips, which always makes one feel a little ill after eating a whole pile of the stuff.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
ha! I think Vichel's been pretty relaxed on the off-topic of this thread!

Hmm. Good fish n chips are good. Bad are horrible.
I prefer non-battered fish and potato cakes *the correct word*

but yeah too much fried isn't nice.
It's still about shopping, lol.

Bad fish'n'chips: when they ignore the fish, hoping that the calorific batter will mask the taste. I demand good fish as well as batter, fish as good as if I were ordering it without the batter. If it tastes bad by itself, it's bad. Fish should definitely be fresh for a start. Common complaints for me are too dry/stringy (depends on the fish too), rubbery (again depends on the fish but also the way it's cooked) or too soaked in oil. Goes without saying batter should be neither undercooked or overcooked. It should be crunchy the way through, as good beer-batter should be.

Batter shouldn't be too thick...less often it's too thin. Fish and chips should be well drained of oil.

Chips are often overcooked. A light golden brown consistent colour, not a dark brown and definitely no burnt bits. I've sometimes had a batch of chips which included cold/near frozen/pale white chips and burnt chips in the same batch! Go figure! Well seasoned with chicken salt is the best, imo. Occasionally, one has the luxury of hand-cut non-frozen chips.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,479,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's what I thought, until I discovered those imported European bikkies. Still love Tim Tams though!
what bikkies do you speak of?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's still about shopping, lol.

Bad fish'n'chips: when they ignore the fish, hoping that the calorific batter will mask the taste. I demand good fish as well as batter, fish as good as if I were ordering it without the batter. If it tastes bad by itself, it's bad. Common complaints for me are too dry/stringy (depends on the fish too), rubbery (again depends on the fish but also the way it's cooked) or too soaked in oil. Goes without saying batter should be neither undercooked or overcooked. It should be crunchy the way through, as good beer-batter should be.

Batter shouldn't be too thick...less often it's too thin. Fish and chips should be well drained of oil.

Chips are often overcooked. A light golden brown consistent colour, not a dark brown and definitely no burnt bits. I've sometimes had a batch of chips which included cold/near frozen/pale white chips and burnt chips in the same batch! Go figure! Well seasoned with chicken salt is the best, imo.
LOL true! Should I start talking about shoes?!

Yes! I've had that dry batter before.. when I bit into my potato cake it disintegrated into thin air

BCC; the fish&chip place in Drummoyne is pretty good ~ ocean foods

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
what bikkies do you speak of?!

LOL true! Should I start talking about shoes?!

Yes! I've had that dry batter before.. when I bit into my potato cake it disintegrated into thin air

Jules Destrooper Biscuits, A Little Bite Of Happiness (http://www.destrooper.com/en/default.asp - broken link)

Well these are just one example. Have you tried them before? I've only had the chocolate covered ones (milk, dark and white). I discovered them at one of the more European-orientated delis/greengrocers a few years back and think they are the bee's knees. Now they are selling them at some Coles, IGA etc. At $6 for 100 grams they're like 12 times the price of Tim Tams (or more) but well worth it imo.

The problem with fish'n'chip and pizza places is there are too many of them. Many claiming to be the 'best in town, 'best in the west' blah blah. Few live up to such lofty claims, I guess in advertising you can make any such baseless claim.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,980,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like fish and chips? To me they're a bit like communism, sounds great in theory but in reality I take one bite and I feel sick.

Yes, fairly OT, but someone mentioned fish and chips.
You now in concept its of interest to me.. but once in front of me.. I'd rather have a schnitty,

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,011,976 times
Quote:
Bit of a mission from Paddington though!

Have you tried the fish burgers at Out of the Blue in Coogee? The fish burger sounds pretty rank to me but I got it with pineapple and bacon and it was seriously one of the best burgers I've ever had. During summer it can take a while to get served, it's a tiny hole in the wall place and the wait is usually 20-25 minutes if you don't call ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20
Bad fish'n'chips: when they ignore the fish, hoping that the calorific batter will mask the taste.
I agree. But then I think it's the combo of the texture of the fish and the batter that puts me off. FWIW I can't eat cooked salmon it's way to heavy. Raw I'm fine with though.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,320,976 times
You have Costco at Melbourne and Perth too, I see.
Ours stock a good variety of Belgian biscuits and chocolates, and where we get most of our daily needs. However, we buy our fresh fruits and vegetables from other farmers markets, IGA and Korean supermarkets. (for your info only - OT)

Any Aussie's Costco addicts here?
Addicted To Costco!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
You have Costco at Melbourne and Perth too, I see.
Ours stock a good variety of Belgian biscuits and chocolates, and where we get most of our daily needs. However, we buy our fresh fruits and vegetables from other farmers markets, IGA and Korean supermarkets. (for your info only - OT)

Any Aussie's Costco addicts here?
Addicted To Costco!
We have Costco in Perth? That's news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand