U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,323,684 times

Advertisements

I misread the news article.
You're right, no Costco in Perth. Perth Prices

Can't live without Costco that saves us thousands of dollars a year and gives us back 2% on all our purchases. With our membership cards, we can shop at their US locations and save several hundreds on snow tires, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,992,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A sad state of affairs having no real competition here in WA. Don't even get Aldi in this state. I tend to shop mostly at Woolworths being so near to the house or on occassions IGA which is even closer but limited and more expensive.
There isn't any feasible alternative in my case. If only we had a proper market as has been remarked already Adelaide has.
What about the Fremantle markets! Any good? The central market in Adl was good.. You couple get Russian food, plantains, Soursop, yum cha, in adition to regular meats, veggies, cheese, meats, bagels and baked goods. Then have a cup of coffee at n Italian pastry shop. I miss it.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:18 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,039,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Jules Destrooper Biscuits, A Little Bite Of Happiness (http://www.destrooper.com/en/default.asp - broken link)

Well these are just one example. Have you tried them before? I've only had the chocolate covered ones (milk, dark and white). I discovered them at one of the more European-orientated delis/greengrocers a few years back and think they are the bee's knees. Now they are selling them at some Coles, IGA etc. At $6 for 100 grams they're like 12 times the price of Tim Tams (or more) but well worth it imo.

The problem with fish'n'chip and pizza places is there are too many of them. Many claiming to be the 'best in town, 'best in the west' blah blah. Few live up to such lofty claims, I guess in advertising you can make any such baseless claim.
You often see ""best fish and chips"","" best hamurgers"" in the city etc etc, wherever you go.
There are so many ways to get this ""award"", and so many bodies giving it, that it is meaningless -eg newspapers, different radio stations etc.
In the southern suburbs of Sydney for instance, you have the best fish and chips in Sydney in Blakehurst, and then cross the Tom Ugly's bridge for the best hamburgers in the state (or is it the country?) in Sylvania.
On the later subject of boutique greengrocers/delis - Jones the Grocer in Woollahra in the Eastern Suburbs is a good one.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,015,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
You often see ""best fish and chips"","" best hamurgers"" in the city etc etc, wherever you go.
There are so many ways to get this ""award"", and so many bodies giving it, that it is meaningless -eg newspapers, different radio stations etc.
In the southern suburbs of Sydney for instance, you have the best fish and chips in Sydney in Blakehurst, and then cross the Tom Ugly's bridge for the best hamburgers in the state (or is it the country?) in Sylvania.
On the later subject of boutique greengrocers/delis - Jones the Grocer in Woollahra in the Eastern Suburbs is a good one.
I had Paul's on Sunday. The weather was bad so me and a mate drove down. The burgers are probably the best I've had in Sydney. There's nothing gourmet about them. They really are old fashioned hamburgers.

Jones the Grocer just seems like an overpriced version of Thomas Dux, although it must do alright because I remember it first opening back in '93/'94.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
Speaking of gourmet burgers. That's another trend, 'healthy' gourmet burgers (there's a number of chains). Hip interiors, a large menu, good ingredients. Yes, the burgers do taste great, but $14 for a single burger by itself?

Although some of the burgers you find at those take-away joints and kebab shops are also right royal rips. I've seen burgers alone over $10. And I'm talking tasteless, low-quality beef patties, kraft single cheeses, buns that are often burnt (some of them are good though I admit, but many pretty ordinary).

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM

14,790 posts, read 13,491,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Speaking of gourmet burgers. That's another trend, 'healthy' gourmet burgers (there's a number of chains). Hip interiors, a large menu, good ingredients. Yes, the burgers do taste great, but $14 for a single burger by itself?

Although some of the burgers you find at those take-away joints and kebab shops are also right royal rips. I've seen burgers alone over $10. And I'm talking tasteless, low-quality beef patties, kraft single cheeses, buns that are often burnt (some of them are good though I admit, but many pretty ordinary).
not much beats the good old "the lot" at the local fish n chips

do you mean "grilled" etc .. if I pay $14 I'm likely to be full for more than an hr, which is what normally happens at macca's etc

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
not much beats the good old "the lot" at the local fish n chips

do you mean "grilled" etc .. if I pay $14 I'm likely to be full for more than an hr, which is what normally happens at macca's etc
Lol I'd expect you'd be bursting if you paid $14 for eats at McDonalds. Even a medium Angus McValue meal is less than $10. I have to admit McDonald's has some things on the menu that are better than many take-aways (I love the Angus burgers personally). I guess at those yuppie burger joints $12-14 or whatever for a burger isn't that bad if chips are a few dollars. That's a meal of $16 or so which isn't that uncommon for burger and chips here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand