Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Obama like most presidents was a multi millionaire before he took office.
Yeah, he's loaded.

Millionaires-in-Chief - Obama's money (5) - Money Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter
The extremely rich run the Untied states, any compensation for doing the job is small change. They are also paid a salary for the rest of there lives.
I don't think that's true of the House, although the Senate is most definately a millionaires' club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Obama a multi millionaire?

I'm disappointed people don't do basic research before they spew forth lies. Obama was not even a millionaire when he was running for president.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Mr. and Mrs. Obama made around $200,000 per year for several years before 2005, when their income jumped to $1,655,106 on the back of book sales after Mr. Obama’s breakout speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention.

Obama's income decreased in 2008 - Washington Times

Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Mr. and Mrs. Obama made around $200,000 per year for several years before 2005, when their income jumped to $1,655,106 on the back of book sales after Mr. Obama’s breakout speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention.

Obama's income decreased in 2008 - Washington Times
The money article places his net worth as 1.2 mill. odd.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The money article places his net worth as 1.2 mill. odd.
Mrs. Obama is a shopaholic and she has a taste for the high life.

When she left her phony baloney "community outreach" job at the hospital she was at, she was making around $320,000 a year. Aint that somethin.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
well at the same time Julia Gillard and the MPs get an massive pay rise, there are budget cuts such as around $640 million will be cut from higher education, including $240 million over four years in proposed teacher reward payments and $400 million from raising HECS fees for maths and science students to their previous levels.

In addition the baby bonus would be reduced.

I can understand an massive pay rise if there is not going to be reductions in the budget but this government has done the opposite.

However Tony Abbot also is not against the pay increase for MPs.

Sky News: Govt faces backlash over budget cuts

Well the CEO salaries and Politicians salaries are different. CEO's salaries are approved by shareholders and are determined by certain performance criteria. I couldn't care less what they get paid unless I was a shareholder.
I think that is the problem
Although they state its an "independent" decision.
If we're honest, its probably never a great time, but in the same week as those announcements ~ particularly bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
But we still get monkeys no matter how much we pay them. The salary's bad enough, then there's the lifelong solid gold perks which they don't really need given the salary and their platinum super. They should be able to save for plane trips and all the other frills they get, after they leave office, by themselves. I'd be more okay with the pay they get, even a bit higher if it weren't for the perks, which I think are over the top. They're public servants, not European royalty.
I think some of these perks were removed (good!)
The endless travel and "study" grants etc.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Obama like most presidents was a multi millionaire before he took office.

The extremely rich run the Untied states, any compensation for doing the job is small change. They are also paid a salary for the rest of there lives.
Aint that the truth. Lets not forget the free trips & perks all over the world esp hawaii. They shouldnt be paid a salary if they are not in the white house anymore esp since the max term is 8 yrs. The ex presidents & their immediate family also get secret service protection the rest of their lives. The U.S. govt sure wastes the tax payers money. Its crazy.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:41 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
No problem with this, you get monkeys if you pay peanuts.
Public Servants in general tend to get critisized, but salaries are much less than the private sector at the top end.
this is the theory, but i think the practice is very different. They don't tend to pluck highly skilled people out of other areas, but rather promote those who have been loyal to the political party.

*edit* also, someone mentioned public servants vs the private sector: the trade off for the slightly lower salaries is job security.

Anyway, an interesting, relevant article from the punch: A well deserved payrise for these upstanding citizens | Article | The Punch

Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,011 times
Quote:
PRIME Minister Julia Gillard's salary will soar by $90,000 to about $470,000, making her more highly paid than US President Barack Obama and British PM David Cameron.
[URL="http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/pollies-in-line-for-huge-pay-increase/story-e6freon6-1226210702704"]Prime Minister Julia Gillard's salary to overtake US President Barack Obama as politicians in line for huge pay increase | Courier Mail[/URL]
I think Gillard thinks she is a lot better than she is. She took money from the people and gave it to herself and her party! I didn't like her from the start to be honest, but this is just a joke.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 AM

425 posts, read 995,682 times
[quote=steel7;22240358 The ex presidents & their immediate family also get secret service protection the rest of their lives. [/QUOTE]

That's no longer the case. The law was changed in 1997. Former president Clinton will be the last president to get Secret Service protection for the rest of his life. Bush, Obama, and all future presidents will just get 10 years' of protection.

(source: Secret Service website)

In any case, Obama will continue to bring in the bucks for the remainder of his life; not just in retirement income as a former president, and former senator, but also book deals, and speaking engagements. He can afford his own bodyguard if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand