U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
6,976 posts, read 3,675,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes.

Hmm,of course most american food isn't very nutritious...but it IS full of chemicals and corn syrup....
That may be true for the canned and processed stuff...but you won't find any of it in my kitchen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Haggis isn't that bad, although I've never seen it in Australia. Bone marrow isn't really my thing but a lot of people like it and it's pretty common. Osso Bucco (sp?) is all about getting that bone marrow. My local does a burger and the pattie is veal, lamb and bone marrow. It's delicious.
No more bone marrow for me! It was more the texture of gelatinous fatty tasting goop that turned me off. I really did not taste anything but the texture really raised the hairs on the nape of my neck!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

19,556 posts, read 11,211,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
That may be true for the canned and processed stuff...but you won't find any of it in my kitchen
Corn syrup is in about EVERYTHING in this country...it is almost a national ingredient for American food....

Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Corn syrup is in about EVERYTHING in this country...it is almost a national ingredient for American food....
Not in the fresh grown food! I don't eat things that come in cans or jars. I eat mostly fresh fruit and veggies. Fresh meat that I cook daily. I really despise processed food and have stayed away from it for mostly the last 30 years of my life.

Besides corn syrup is not leathal

Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM

You weren't discussing fresh food,you were discussing a processed Australian food product.

If it came to fresh food,Australia was much better than what we see here,at least that was our experience.

Sugar comes from sugar cane,not corn syrup.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
You weren't discussing fresh food,you were discussing a processed Australian food product.

If it came to fresh food,Australia was much better than what we see here,at least that was our experience.

Sugar comes from sugar cane,not corn syrup.
Um Ok I was talking about vegemite and you brought up processed American food and I commented on it .

I live in CA where the fruits and veggies are grown...my experience sounds to be much different then yours. When I lived in TX I shopped at Whole Foods and was very pleased with the produce and meat...but the Whole Foods in CA has better fruits and veggies due to most of it being locally grown. I love love love shopping at Whole Foods! Try it if you have one in SC...you might like it.

Where did I mention sugar?

BTW Imperial Sugar began in 1843 as a single sugar cane plantation in what was to become Sugar Land, Texas!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Um Ok I was talking about vegemite and you brought up processed American food and I commented on it .
Processed food to processed food is all.

Quote:
I live in CA where the fruits and veggies are grown...my experience sounds to be much different then yours. When I lived in TX I shopped at Whole Foods and was very pleased with the produce and meat...but the Whole Foods in CA has better fruits and veggies due to most of it being locally grown. I love love love shopping at Whole Foods! Try it if you have one in SC...you might like it.
Been to a Whole Foods,it was alright.
We like veggies locally grown too.Plan to grow our own so we actually know what was done to it.

Quote:
Where did I mention sugar?

BTW Imperial Sugar began in 1843 as a single sugar cane plantation in what was to become Sugar Land, Texas!
HFCS is America's 'sugar' for some reason,well mainly for political reasons...

Anyway,vegemite is an acquired taste,few outsiders acquire it...LOL.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Processed food to processed food is all.

Been to a Whole Foods,it was alright.
We like veggies locally grown too.Plan to grow our own so we actually know what was done to it.

HFCS is America's 'sugar' for some reason,well mainly for political reasons...

Anyway,vegemite is an acquired taste,few outsiders acquire it...LOL.
Did you bring vegemite with you when you moved to SC?

Good Luck with your veggie garden...that sounds like fun! I have a super green thumb and love to grow things

Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Did you bring vegemite with you when you moved to SC?
No,I have been here since the 1980's....we buy it at World Market.
And I thought about it and it was a 'Fresh Market' not a 'Whole Foods'.
I liked the Deli and the cheese selection.

Quote:
Good Luck with your veggie garden...that sounds like fun! I have a super green thumb and love to grow things
Thanks.
Still in the planning stages right now,we have winter to get it organised.
My wife is the plant person.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:03 AM

9,926 posts, read 8,390,922 times
We had a jar of Vegemite and crackers on our stationary hors d'ouvres buffet at our wedding. People tried it. Don't care if they like it or not. I'm just glad for the extra jar of it because it's waaaay too expensive to buy here, even at Wegman's.

Oh and someone in Australia gave me a haggis once. They'd bought it at David Jones, as if that was some kind of badge of honour. I kept it in the fridge for 12 months before I threw it out with Monday's garbage. In all that time I couldn't work up the courage to eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand