Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I don't see the problem to be honest - why should it be easier for Kiwis to settle here than for us to settle in NZ or vice versa? In fact, I'll bet a higher proportion of Kiwis/Aussies are eligible to settle here than the other way round due to the fact you are much more likely to have recent enough British/other European ancestry to get dual citizenship than we are to happen to have a parent or grandparent born Down Under. Also, if it's the case that you as a Commonwealth citizen can get into our country through serving in our military then the hypocrisy is on the other foot, as I bet I also as a Commonwealth citizen couldn't get into your country through doing the same thing.
Ah but that is the point after we give people permanent residence we do not chuck them out after five years, but no reason why we should not change it for Brits.
You believe the MOD is keen of Commonwealth lads joining the British army out of the goodness of the MOD heart?

Yep, British military can get into NZ by joining the military if they have the skills we need, hell we even allow yanks to apply.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 AM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I really think it's time to do something about the trans tasman labour agreement, maybe introduce some sort of skills assessment test to migrating kiwis?

1000 leave for Australia every week - National - NZ Herald News
Why not just treat them the same as all other prospective immigrants?

Seems fair to me.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Why not just treat them the same as all other prospective immigrants?

Seems fair to me.
Dump CER ? no problem Aus sells a lot more into the NZ market than we sell into Aus, a lot of aussies will be whining if the CER is dumped.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I really think it's time to do something about the trans tasman labour agreement, maybe introduce some sort of skills assessment test to migrating kiwis?

I agree as a Kiwi I believe Australia had bled NZ dry for far to long. Closing the free movement of individuals between the two nation will help the NZ economy immensely. Even though NZ population growth still easily exceeds countries like the US and the UK, closing the easy movement to the larger economy of Australia will boost the NZ economy.

The free ride for Australia needs to end.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
[

I agree as a Kiwi I believe Australia had bled NZ dry for far to long. Closing the free movement of individuals between the two nation will help the NZ economy immensely. Even though NZ population growth still easily exceeds countries like the US and the UK, closing the easy movement to the larger economy of Australia will boost the NZ economy.

The free ride for Australia needs to end.
Haha, we don't exactly coerce you to come here, lol.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Classic kiwi whine:

"Australia takes everything from us"

Yawn.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Dump CER ? no problem Aus sells a lot more into the NZ market than we sell into Aus, a lot of aussies will be whining if the CER is dumped.
Thats a lot of people needing jobs and welfare. Good luck with that.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Haha, we don't exactly coerce you to come here, lol.

My statement was a little bit tongue in cheek with elements of truth, kinda the opposite to the ignorant extremist redneck views some Aussies are posting in forums about there brothers across the ditch. Like there is any tangible difference between Kiwis and Aussies demographically nearly identical in every way excluding the obvious difference between the two indigenous populations.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Of course we never see racist redneck views expressed by kiwis on CD!

Last edited by minibrings; 12-23-2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 07:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
My statement was a little bit tongue in cheek with elements of truth, kinda the opposite to the ignorant extremist redneck views some Aussies are posting in forums about there brothers across the ditch. Like there is any tangible difference between Kiwis and Aussies demographically nearly identical in every way excluding the obvious difference between the two indigenous populations.
Yeah Kiwis for the most part are actually a decent lot, I have to say. You meet a fair few even here in WA, including Maoris and everything in between. Don't feel we're being 'overrun' quite yet, but then people here will probably complain if we get overrun by Eastern staters, even if some of them originally were from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand