U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 AM

9,072 posts, read 11,979,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Two things that stuck out recently:

- Went up to Shark Bay, West Oz for a few days holiday. This area is almost entirely dependent on tourism. It's located in a climate that is basically tropical-desert. When I arrived, I was greated by weather typical of the area; 3pm and it's 33-35 C/93-95 F, clear skies and gusty winds. Nice view of the bay right in town (Denham) and the streets are lined with palm trees (obviously to appeal to tourists). Happy to arrive, I go to the Visitor's Centre and ask "...Ah, this is nice. Where can I buy a frozen drink? I could use one after such a long drive..." and the ladies in the visitors centre were confused by my request. They asked did I mean a slushie? The servos don't have any. So I had to explain what I meant by a frozen drink; fruit + crushed ice, with or without alcohol. They told me "...Oh we don't do anything like that here. The tourists are mostly older people who come up and fishermen. They wouldn't think of getting a drink like that.." I'm confused again. As if the idea of a frozen drink is a new-fangled fad. I told them that I'm from Canada, yet everyone knows what a frozen drink is there. We expect to see them when we go on holidays to places like Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Caribbean, plus lots of holiday spots carry them because they're so popular. I was just dumbstruck at how hard this was to explain, as Shark Bay would have the perfect climate for enjoying frozen drinks.

-Apparently, nearly every nightclub and bar in Australia doesn't permit boardshorts or thong-sandals because "...they're associated with yobbos..." yet it's perfectly fine to go shopping barefoot, in just a bathing suit. While I enjoy the freedom of barefoot shopping (but seldom do it ) it seems archaic that bars won't serve patrons that won't dress up, and that they have worries or prejudices over certain kinds of dress that aren't even remotely associated with gangs or violence. This has made me miss Florida BADLY! Too many times, I'd rather not have a night out on the town, because I don't want to dress up.

I'd also like to say even in Canada,
most bars and some clubs will let you in if you are suitably dressed to go grocery shopping.

Stupid stuff like this is what keeps me from being enthusiastic about "being Australian."
Hmmm... from their perspective.. you were the alien, after all you are a visitor in their country.

I'd celebrate the differences as this is what travel is all about. Go with the flow and try not to compare everything to Canada (e.g., person took too long in line in front of you in McDonalds or this new thread). If I started a thread about the differences I found iun all my travels to 45+ countries, people would hate me at CD.

It's all good... you'll be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,318,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Canadian
We expect to see them when we go on holidays to places like Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Caribbean, plus lots of holiday spots carry them because they're so popular. I was just dumbstruck at how hard this was to explain, as Shark Bay would have the perfect climate for enjoying frozen drinks.
But you weren't in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Carribbean. Seems like a pretty minor thing to get worked up about.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 AM

2,370 posts, read 2,347,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
But you weren't in Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Carribbean. Seems like a pretty minor thing to get worked up about.
I never cease to be amazed by people who travel to the other side of the world hoping to find an exact reproduction oof what they left behind.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:01 PM

834 posts, read 1,161,199 times
When I travel I just enjoy the differences in culture. You can't expect a different country with a different culture to have the same.... well, anything really.

My wifes' family lives in Belize so we went to visit last year, and Belize is absent sweet tea, and although I really wanted sweet tea after a couple days it wasn't a big deal.

Her sister is a really nice person who went out of her way to find me some sweet tea , but she brought back this canned lipton lemon stuff which I hate.... but I drank every can. I wasn't gonna let her know I didn't like it after she went to the trouble.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:02 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,537,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Where have you been convict? Best be on your best behavior or your upcoming release will be delayed. Nola awaits buddy.
I just dropped in here 'cos I saw CCs thread title and thought "Ooohh, I can relate". We're on the home stretch now and expect to see you back in NOLA in the not too distant future. Right, to get back on topic...yeah, Australia. Um....

Old 12-22-2011, 04:55 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,346,950 times
How can you drink something that is frozen? You would have to eat it.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,283,615 times
I assume the OP was looking for something like this, a frozen margarita, which was invented here in Dallas in the '70s:

Australians seem like aliens to me, sometimes-margarita.jpg

First Frozen Margarita Machine Dallas and FAQ: Margaritas by Margarita Masters

Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Two things that stuck out recently:

- Went up to Shark Bay, West Oz for a few days holiday. This area is almost entirely dependent on tourism. It's located in a climate that is basically tropical-desert. When I arrived, I was greated by weather typical of the area; 3pm and it's 33-35 C/93-95 F, clear skies and gusty winds. Nice view of the bay right in town (Denham) and the streets are lined with palm trees (obviously to appeal to tourists). Happy to arrive, I go to the Visitor's Centre and ask "...Ah, this is nice. Where can I buy a frozen drink? I could use one after such a long drive..." and the ladies in the visitors centre were confused by my request. They asked did I mean a slushie? The servos don't have any. So I had to explain what I meant by a frozen drink; fruit + crushed ice, with or without alcohol. They told me "...Oh we don't do anything like that here. The tourists are mostly older people who come up and fishermen. They wouldn't think of getting a drink like that.." I'm confused again. As if the idea of a frozen drink is a new-fangled fad. I told them that I'm from Canada, yet everyone knows what a frozen drink is there. We expect to see them when we go on holidays to places like Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Caribbean, plus lots of holiday spots carry them because they're so popular. I was just dumbstruck at how hard this was to explain, as Shark Bay would have the perfect climate for enjoying frozen drinks.

-Apparently, nearly every nightclub and bar in Australia doesn't permit boardshorts or thong-sandals because "...they're associated with yobbos..." yet it's perfectly fine to go shopping barefoot, in just a bathing suit. While I enjoy the freedom of barefoot shopping (but seldom do it ) it seems archaic that bars won't serve patrons that won't dress up, and that they have worries or prejudices over certain kinds of dress that aren't even remotely associated with gangs or violence. This has made me miss Florida BADLY! Too many times, I'd rather not have a night out on the town, because I don't want to dress up.

I'd also like to say even in Canada,
most bars and some clubs will let you in if you are suitably dressed to go grocery shopping.

Stupid stuff like this is what keeps me from being enthusiastic about "being Australian."
Coldy if you want to sip on expensive iced fruit drinks or cocktails in a bar in your boardies, go for a holiday on the Gold Coast.

We are talking about a rural town of 600 people in the middle of nowhwere Western Australia hear. No an established tourist resort, or a town thats an easy day trip from a city of few hundred thousand people.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-22-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,017,136 times
I can relate... I visited Oz a number of years ago and I got turfed out of a nightclub in Sydney for wearing shorts.. at first I didn't know what was going on but figured it out afterwards and was quite dumbfounded to be honest...
I do admit that not having a conveniently available supply of ice cold/frozen drinks in a place like Shark Bay would be annoying.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,005,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I would have been confused as well. Frozen drink? Not sure we use that term around here lol. You mean fruit flavoured syrup over crushed ice? Sounds like a snow cone. I believe they are popular in Queensland. Obviously you can't expect things to be the same here, you're in a different country matey!

Btw what did you get up to in Shark Bay? Did you see the dolphins at Monkey Mia? The stromalites at Hamelin Pool? See any dugongs, or sharks?
Eeeewww... Not fruit-flavoured syrup, but bloody fruit juice itself, with pieces of whole fruit thrown in to the blender, adding extra flavour and texture. This is what a margarita is like, but also a daquiri and pina colada. I'm sure there are other fruit + ice + juice + grog mixes around.

Sawr all of those and more mate, but no sharks. Probably a good thing? (too many shark sitings in WA lately )

*Ironically, Monkey Mia served "iced coffee" which would have been a fair substitute, but the people in Denham (20-ish km's away, but the same general area) visitor's centre didn't know they had it?*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand