Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Two things that stuck out recently:

- Went up to Shark Bay, West Oz for a few days holiday. This area is almost entirely dependent on tourism. It's located in a climate that is basically tropical-desert. When I arrived, I was greated by weather typical of the area; 3pm and it's 33-35 C/93-95 F, clear skies and gusty winds. Nice view of the bay right in town (Denham) and the streets are lined with palm trees (obviously to appeal to tourists). Happy to arrive, I go to the Visitor's Centre and ask "...Ah, this is nice. Where can I buy a frozen drink? I could use one after such a long drive..." and the ladies in the visitors centre were confused by my request. They asked did I mean a slushie? The servos don't have any. So I had to explain what I meant by a frozen drink; fruit + crushed ice, with or without alcohol. They told me "...Oh we don't do anything like that here. The tourists are mostly older people who come up and fishermen. They wouldn't think of getting a drink like that.." I'm confused again. As if the idea of a frozen drink is a new-fangled fad. I told them that I'm from Canada, yet everyone knows what a frozen drink is there. We expect to see them when we go on holidays to places like Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Caribbean, plus lots of holiday spots carry them because they're so popular. I was just dumbstruck at how hard this was to explain, as Shark Bay would have the perfect climate for enjoying frozen drinks.

-Apparently, nearly every nightclub and bar in Australia doesn't permit boardshorts or thong-sandals because "...they're associated with yobbos..." yet it's perfectly fine to go shopping barefoot, in just a bathing suit. While I enjoy the freedom of barefoot shopping (but seldom do it ) it seems archaic that bars won't serve patrons that won't dress up, and that they have worries or prejudices over certain kinds of dress that aren't even remotely associated with gangs or violence. This has made me miss Florida BADLY! Too many times, I'd rather not have a night out on the town, because I don't want to dress up.

I'd also like to say even in Canada,
most bars and some clubs will let you in if you are suitably dressed to go grocery shopping.

Stupid stuff like this is what keeps me from being enthusiastic about "being Australian."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times
Unfortunately it's something you're going to have to get used to, we Austr-aliens just don't understand your foreign ways.

You seem to be asking for something that's like a cocktail?, Sorry, but you're not going to find a drink like that unless you go into a bar (even then it might be difficult?). The best you can hope for is a cold Coke from the servo fridge.

Though I do agree that the dress standard's have gotten ridiculous in some places.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I would have been confused as well. Frozen drink? Not sure we use that term around here lol. You mean fruit flavoured syrup over crushed ice? Sounds like a snow cone. I believe they are popular in Queensland. Obviously you can't expect things to be the same here, you're in a different country matey!

Btw what did you get up to in Shark Bay? Did you see the dolphins at Monkey Mia? The stromalites at Hamelin Pool? See any dugongs, or sharks?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
Jeez, I was born here and I've never understood the mentality here. I blame British settlement. Though...I don't know how that works seeing as Canada suffers the same misfortune.
I've learnt not to expect too much if I go to a bar or restaurant/cafe. I even bring my own Tonys Seasoning.
Don't worry, I won't slam the door on my way out. But I'll make sure I close it firmly.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 AM

There's this place in Perth I've tried to get into three times, unsuccessfully. Nothing that fancy just an ordinary club. First time it was because I was wearing jeans, then something else, then you have to wear black shoes. What the?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Jeez, I was born here and I've never understood the mentality here. I blame British settlement. Though...I don't know how that works seeing as Canada suffers the same misfortune.
I've learnt not to expect too much if I go to a bar or restaurant/cafe. I even bring my own Tonys Seasoning.
Don't worry, I won't slam the door on my way out. But I'll make sure I close it firmly.
What I love about New Orleans is how the party is on the street as well. In Australia, the street is full of cops and wannabe tough-guys and shrieking banshees.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:36 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There's this place in Perth I've tried to get into three times, unsuccessfully. Nothing that fancy just an ordinary club. First time it was because I was wearing jeans, then something else, then you have to wear black shoes. What the?
Obviously they just don't need your $$. Who needs a dump like that?

I remember a delightful evening at the crown jewel of Adelaides' theatrical temple, the festival center. They have a bar/bistro and we thought we'd like to have a bite to eat and some libations.
But....it was 3pm!! Were we out of our tiny skulls?? The hostess stared at us, (yes, they looked open for business) and when we asked if it was problematic she sorta twisted her hands and said 'well, it's not normal....'.
I felt as if we'd stumbled into a Fawlty Towers candid camera spectacular.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Obviously they just don't need your $$. Who needs a dump like that?

I remember a delightful evening at the crown jewel of Adelaides' theatrical temple, the festival center. They have a bar/bistro and we thought we'd like to have a bite to eat and some libations.
But....it was 3pm!! Were we out of our tiny skulls?? The hostess stared at us, (yes, they looked open for business) and when we asked if it was problematic she sorta twisted her hands and said 'well, it's not normal....'.
I felt as if we'd stumbled into a Fawlty Towers candid camera spectacular.
Yeah pure pretention. After the third time I decided I didn't WANT to go into a place like that, which was probably full of snobs anyway.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Two things that stuck out recently:

- Went up to Shark Bay, West Oz for a few days holiday. This area is almost entirely dependent on tourism. It's located in a climate that is basically tropical-desert. When I arrived, I was greated by weather typical of the area; 3pm and it's 33-35 C/93-95 F, clear skies and gusty winds. Nice view of the bay right in town (Denham) and the streets are lined with palm trees (obviously to appeal to tourists). Happy to arrive, I go to the Visitor's Centre and ask "...Ah, this is nice. Where can I buy a frozen drink? I could use one after such a long drive..." and the ladies in the visitors centre were confused by my request. They asked did I mean a slushie? The servos don't have any. So I had to explain what I meant by a frozen drink; fruit + crushed ice, with or without alcohol. They told me "...Oh we don't do anything like that here. The tourists are mostly older people who come up and fishermen. They wouldn't think of getting a drink like that.." I'm confused again. As if the idea of a frozen drink is a new-fangled fad. I told them that I'm from Canada, yet everyone knows what a frozen drink is there. We expect to see them when we go on holidays to places like Mexico, Hawaii, Florida or the Caribbean, plus lots of holiday spots carry them because they're so popular. I was just dumbstruck at how hard this was to explain, as Shark Bay would have the perfect climate for enjoying frozen drinks.

-Apparently, nearly every nightclub and bar in Australia doesn't permit boardshorts or thong-sandals because "...they're associated with yobbos..." yet it's perfectly fine to go shopping barefoot, in just a bathing suit. While I enjoy the freedom of barefoot shopping (but seldom do it ) it seems archaic that bars won't serve patrons that won't dress up, and that they have worries or prejudices over certain kinds of dress that aren't even remotely associated with gangs or violence. This has made me miss Florida BADLY! Too many times, I'd rather not have a night out on the town, because I don't want to dress up.

I'd also like to say even in Canada,
most bars and some clubs will let you in if you are suitably dressed to go grocery shopping.

Stupid stuff like this is what keeps me from being enthusiastic about "being Australian."
Seriously? You get worked up over little stuff like this? Hey, I find it odd that mailmen in Canada don't pickup outgoing mail, you have to drive to a beer store to get beer and a wine store to get wine and loonies and twonies get really heavy in my purse after a while. But I love Canada and find these little differences from the States charming. It's like a slightly parallel universe. Why focus on petty annoyances just because it's different from your experience? Isn't that why we travel? To see how other people live?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Where have you been convict? Best be on your best behavior or your upcoming release will be delayed. Nola awaits buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand