U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 AM

29 posts, read 22,228 times

Advertisements

I always thought Aussies were more liberal than Americans, like on par with Canadians, but my Aussie friend tells me that Australia has quite a 'redneck' culture, and Anzac Day is a huge deal, like even moreso than Veteran's and Memorial Day in America (which really many Americans I feel are apathetic about), which kind of surprised me because I didn't think Aussies were warlike people.

I've also heard that a lot of Aussies are anti-gay rights and wish for things like capital punishment to return. If that's true though, than why does Australia generally have more liberal politics than the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 AM

9,097 posts, read 12,592,087 times
From living in Oz, the US and Canada. I would say Canadians are the most liberal, Americans the most conservative and Aussies are in between. It would depend where they live, just like in the states. You can't really say every country is X. It would depend on geography (ex: the US east coast tends to be liberal, the south not so much)

I've never encountered people in Oz that were pro capital punishment, not that they may not be there. As for gay rights, I did a wiki for you and the result is pretty fair assessment. Since South Australia first legalised sexual conduct between males in 1975, the country has been evolving:
LGBT rights in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

I've never encountered people in Oz that were pro capital punishment, not that they may not be there. As for gay rights, I did a wiki for you and the result is pretty fair assessment. Since South Australia first legalised sexual conduct between males in 1975, the country has been evolving:
LGBT rights in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Australia seemed pretty pro-capital punishment when Bali happened. Though it might have just been a temporary, and understandable burst of national outrage. I don't think they ever considered executing the bombers themselves, even though they were okay with Indonesia doing it.

I don't even think America got that angry over 9/11!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM

2,006 posts, read 1,490,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucker View Post
I always thought Aussies were more liberal than Americans, like on par with Canadians, but my Aussie friend tells me that Australia has quite a 'redneck' culture, and Anzac Day is a huge deal, like even moreso than Veteran's and Memorial Day in America (which really many Americans I feel are apathetic about), which kind of surprised me because I didn't think Aussies were warlike people.

I've also heard that a lot of Aussies are anti-gay rights and wish for things like capital punishment to return. If that's true though, than why does Australia generally have more liberal politics than the US?
There's a difference between honouring those who lost their lives defending your country and glorifying war.

The LGBT thing is strange. In Tasmania until 1997 homosexuality was illegal (not enforced though), yet Tasmania's most prominent politician was an openly gay man who lived with his partner. I don't think people are anti-gay rights, they're just not particularly interested. Politically Australians are very apathetic.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
There's a difference between honouring those who lost their lives defending your country and glorifying war.
Not really, because if you actually believe the lie that the military is the only thing preventing Muzzies/Commies from wresting our way of life, you probably believe war is necessary and just.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Not really, because if you actually believe the lie that the military is the only thing preventing Muzzies/Commies from wresting our way of life, you probably believe war is necessary and just.
Umm...OK

So I guess Remembrance Day is also about thanking those who are defending Canada from Muzzies/Commies?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Umm...OK

So I guess Remembrance Day is also about thanking those who are defending Canada from Muzzies/Commies?
Yeah or whoever the current bogeyman is.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah or whoever the current bogeyman is.
So then I can infer from your OP that Canadians are red-necks?

As are the British, French, Dutch...Pretty much everyone.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 6,035,651 times
It depends.

I worked in a small ton of 24,000 people in NSW and the majority were catholic, very conservative and staid.

I live in Vermont, the people here are very liberal in general.

Generally country folk are conservative and city folk more liberal, in any country.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM

9,097 posts, read 12,592,087 times
Quote:
I don't even think America got that angry over 9/11!
I was at the World Trade that day and in NY afterwards. People were plenty angry.
Which is why they bombed Afghanistan and Iraq and hunted down bin laden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand