Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilleatyourface View Post
Big hello to everyone! I'm new here.

I have 3 questions about Australia particularly Brisbane.

1.) - Would $1500 to $2300 AUD be enough to live on per month excluding rent?

Also what type of lifestyle would this allow a single uni dude to live?

2.) - How is it being black in Australia/Brisbane? I'm African American and have heard all sorts of things from good to bad. I've heard that aussies are extremely accepting, laid black, all-round awesome people! I've also heard aussie ladies love black guys. (don't bite my head off, just what I've heard LOL)

On the other end of the spectrum I've heard about really bad racism and violence against foreigners and people of colour. Scary stuff! I'm not really sure what to believe so I figure what better place to ask than here!

3.) - How hard is it to get a part-time job to work on Saturdays for some extra money?

Also what type of Job would typically be available to a student?

Thank you loads for reading this! I hope I didn't sound like too much of an arse. xD
1) Minus the rent, $1500 AUD a month should be more than enough to sustain you while in Australia provided you keep a reasonably tight budget. Would still leave you with a good amount of money to go out clubbing etc. The exchange rate at the moment is at parity but you might want to budget for costs being about 25% more here for everyday items, entertainment and food

2)You shouldn't have a problem at all being black here, all of Australia's cities are multicultural so we're quite used to all types of people. Like with anywhere around the world you may be unlucky enough to strike path's with a nasty person but I doubt you'll experience such a problem.

3)You shouldn't have a problem getting part-time work in a a cafe/restaurant, supermarket etc. and the minimum wage is quite high...$16 per hour I think. Depending on where you work you may also get weekend penalty rates on top of this, or sometimes its factored into a flat base rate over the week. Depending on where your studying you can also try getting a job working at the university library as students usually man the desks at weekends and evenings.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand