Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Don't give up totally on Bali. I had that impression (crawling with drunk bogans) for years, then we went in July last year, but to Ubud. Lovely place, fantastic people. Well worth a visit, just stay away from that Kuta, Legian, Seminyak area. We were in Seminyak for a couple days on our Bali trip - huge letdown after Ubud. Seminyak felt like Tijuana. Ubud was serene, like what I wanted Bali to be.

I stayed at the Nusa Dua section, its an upscale area, far away from the drunken kiwis in Kuta. Nice and quiet. mostly older Euro tourists. Bogan kiwis flocked to Kuta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
We Americans have been shifting from liquor to wine and beer over the past few decades - when I was young the adults had cocktail hours before dinner, where they drank liquor on an empty stomach so it wasn't diluted. Beer and wine were just happy little drinks a notch above soda ..... sometimes beer was used to chase a shot of something hard. The WW2 generation would get liquor by the discounted cases every month as they grew older and wiser. They used to drop like flies from liver disease and car accidents.

Every year we hear fewer Ugly American stories. Nowadays Americans aren't hated for their habits overseas so much as our rightwing politics - refusing to work with other nations on climate issues, invading thirdworld countries, stealing from the poor to give to the rich, etc.

I suppose that the current bad boys of world travel live in places where they haven't downshifted as much from liquor to beer and wine.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
We Americans have been shifting from liquor to wine and beer over the past few decades - when I was young the adults had cocktail hours before dinner, where they drank liquor on an empty stomach so it wasn't diluted. Beer and wine were just happy little drinks a notch above soda ..... sometimes beer was used to chase a shot of something hard. The WW2 generation would get liquor by the discounted cases every month as they grew older and wiser. They used to drop like flies from liver disease and car accidents.

Every year we hear fewer Ugly American stories. Nowadays Americans aren't hated for their habits overseas so much as our rightwing politics - refusing to work with other nations on climate issues, invading thirdworld countries, stealing from the poor to give to the rich, etc.

I suppose that the current bad boys of world travel live in places where they haven't downshifted as much from liquor to beer and wine.
Not that I'm claiming that those Americans whom are travelling aren't behaving better now, but the *ahem* particular demographic of those who are usually a bit rowdy probably aren't travelling outside the U.S as frequently given the state of the U.S dollar. Australia's dollar is strong, hence so many are travelling overseas.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand