Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,049,410 times

Advertisements

ha I know NZ is about 20 years behind Australia, but sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,718,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was barracking for them against Geelong and again against Collingwood. It seemed the draw was just a cruel tease...to be fair though I think you were lucky to draw in the first game, it would be less painful if Collingwood had won. I almost dread it if the Saints get into the GF again - can you imagine losing a THIRD time? The Saints really do seem cursed. One premiership in over 100 years, yet they've lost quite a few, I think. They've been up there for what, the last 7-8 years now, got more than a sniff but they just can't get over the line!
Interesting for St Kilda, Geelong were the perennial bridesmaids for many years until the current batch of players emerged.
I've watched most AFL Grand Finals since the 80's, but don't follow it a great deal beyond that.
Talking of old school and lack of premierships, in Rugby League the old North Sydney Bears only every won 2 premierships (1921-22), in their nearly 100 year history in the game.
This team formed a brief alliance with Manly, before being punted out of the NRL for good. (mind you I think Sydney's North Shore would be more Rugby Union followers than Leaguies - for those from AFL states union is regarded as more solubrious and genteel than league, with mainly private school followings).
Still, for the NSW old school - it was a shame to see the North Sydney Bears go.
I am sure the Queenslanders would think differently.
The other longest drought is Cronulla Sharks, who have not won a premiership since their debut in 1967, and have been runners-up 3 times.
By contrast, the Mebourne Storm won the premiership in their 2nd year in the comp - back in 1999.
I doubt whether that teams success would make any impact with the fanatical AFL supporters in Melbourne.
The brief experiments with Perth and Adelaide in the 90s were abject failures.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Interesting for St Kilda, Geelong were the perennial bridesmaids for many years until the current batch of players emerged.
I've watched most AFL Grand Finals since the 80's, but don't follow it a great deal beyond that.
Talking of old school and lack of premierships, in Rugby League the old North Sydney Bears only every won 2 premierships (1921-22), in their nearly 100 year history in the game.
This team formed a brief alliance with Manly, before being punted out of the NRL for good. (mind you I think Sydney's North Shore would be more Rugby Union followers than Leaguies - for those from AFL states union is regarded as more solubrious and genteel than league, with mainly private school followings).
Still, for the NSW old school - it was a shame to see the North Sydney Bears go.
I am sure the Queenslanders would think differently.
The other longest drought is Cronulla Sharks, who have not won a premiership since their debut in 1967, and have been runners-up 3 times.
By contrast, the Mebourne Storm won the premiership in their 2nd year in the comp - back in 1999.
I doubt whether that teams success would make any impact with the fanatical AFL supporters in Melbourne.
The brief experiments with Perth and Adelaide in the 90s were abject failures.
Good riddance!

No one cares about the Western Force here.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM

790 posts, read 1,728,125 times
Quote:
Good riddance!

tell you what. We'll take the Force and Rebels back if you take the Lions, Suns, Swans and Giants. Deal?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
tell you what. We'll take the Force and Rebels back if you take the Lions, Suns, Swans and Giants. Deal?
And go back to it being a competition between suburbs of Melbourne? No thanks, lol.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM

991 posts, read 1,762,044 times
Quote:
Good riddance!

Those experiments were in Rugby League. The Western Force is Rugby Union.

I think the league experiments were the Western Reds and the Adelaide Rams (stupid names at a time when Rugby League were being more stupid than it is now).

Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Those experiments were in Rugby League. The Western Force is Rugby Union.

I think the league experiments were the Western Reds and the Adelaide Rams (stupid names at a time when Rugby League were being more stupid than it is now).
I know Force is Union. League or Union, rugby just isn't popular out West.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,049,410 times
Ha Trimac.... a lot of Vics would love it.
I like the national game. Never minded the Eagles/Lions (Bears)

On the other hand, Crows, Freo & Sydney~ no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
ha! now that is a passing of old Australia...
tribal lines of code. I have tried to watch League/Union. Zzzzz.
(although if have to choose, would be union)

This did make me laugh... we're coming NZ!

Wayne Schwass rates New Zealand ripe for AFL play | Herald Sun

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,942,660 times
Screen Australia hs alot of interesting footage regarding "old" Australia.

Life In Australia: Perth - YouTube

Life In Australia: Melbourne - YouTube

Life in Australia: Sydney - YouTube

Old 01-20-2012, 10:50 PM

317 posts, read 525,838 times
aerial ping pong zzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand