Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childoffortune View Post
I am so sorry for interfering but we also had two variants where to move: Townsville or Hobart. Hobart seems have got to be our winner I have read a lot of posts about Townsville (on pomsinoz) and really fell in love with it; but I also have discovered some cons in it: floods and a very-very-very hot weather with high humidity. A lot of natives move back from Townville/Cairns because of the weather But a lot of sun days, Great Bareer Reef and its remoteness make Townsville a very nice town.
I appreciate the reply. It's fun reading comments from other prospective Aussie immigrants.
Word to the wise, from what others have told me...
Tasmanians can be a strange breed with how they view immigrants and non-Tasmanians.
What will you be doing for work in Tassie?

The flooding risk is lousy, but I think I'll be fine with your second concern.
This "very-very-very hot weather" probably won't exist for me.

Today is my first day in Queensland.
I'm in Brisbane for 2 days of sightseeing before heading to Townsville.
When I got off the plane at sunrise I felt a bit cold, at 21 C/ 70 F and overcast.
Currently, it is now about 10:30am, maybe up to 24 C/75 F now and
I'm still wearing shoes, long pants and a hoodie overtop my Hawaiian shirt.
I'm starting to find it silly that so many people say they need air-conditioning 24/7 in Brisbane for at least 6 months.
I haven't even started to feel warm without my hoodie yet.
**I think I'm acclimated to the heat of the West Oz summer sun, whether in direct or indirect sunlight**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 04:11 AM

8 posts, read 29,022 times
Hi ColdCanadian.

I am very fond of a hot weather, I feel much better when it’s hot than it’s wet and gloomy. But I used to get tanned very quickly and my skin starts itching. I really hate this. When on vacations in different hot countries I usually try to be off-sun rather than to be on-sun, despite I love it very much. Regarding Hobart, it was my wife’s initiative to move there. She hates snakes, spiders etc. and she likes a mild climate, without a big quantity of hot/cold days. A lot of Englishmen living in Hobart say that their climate is something alike south England’s one. But on the other hand, a lot of people living in Townsville are very glad at their choice, moreover, according to the statistics, and I read tons of it (I like statistics very much), Townsville is a very dynamic city developing very quickly, with annual GDP growth. I think these cities are more or less of the same value

Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hi ColdCanadian.

I am very fond of a hot weather, I feel much better when it’s hot than it’s wet and gloomy. But I used to get tanned very quickly and my skin starts itching. I really hate this. When on vacations in different hot countries I usually try to be off-sun rather than to be on-sun, despite I love it very much. Regarding Hobart, it was my wife’s initiative to move there. She hates snakes, spiders etc. and she likes a mild climate, without a big quantity of hot/cold days. A lot of Englishmen living in Hobart say that their climate is something alike south England’s one. But on the other hand, a lot of people living in Townsville are very glad at their choice, moreover, according to the statistics, and I read tons of it (I like statistics very much), Townsville is a very dynamic city developing very quickly, with annual GDP growth. I think these cities are more or less of the same value
Cool post.

I can see why your wife likes Hobart. Good that you are equally content.
Myself, I always have trouble with temperatures below 10 C, so Hobart for me is quite cold.
But that's mostly because I have a medical condition.
Back in Toronto (like the Ukraine?) I would get teased for saying anything above 4 C is too cold.

Townsville does sound like an exciting city.
At least for Australia's tropics being its biggest tropical city.

I'm wondering if you mean "tanned and itchy" you mean "sun burnt" which means going red.

I'm very tanned (brown) and love it. Despite my blonde hair and blue eyes, some people ask if I'm half-Pakistani or half-Australian Aboriginal. I like it because when I used to wear sunscreen regularly as a teen, anytime I did waterskiing I would get burnt almost instantly, as I couldn't handle direct sun well without it. This I found was ridiculous, as when I was a child I never burnt and never wore sunscreen. Now I just limit my unprotected sun exposure to where I can avoid my skin feeling "hot and dry" at the end of the day.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Cool post.

I can see why your wife likes Hobart. Good that you are equally content.
Myself, I always have trouble with temperatures below 10 C, so Hobart for me is quite cold.
But that's mostly because I have a medical condition.
Back in Toronto (like the Ukraine?) I would get teased for saying anything above 4 C is too cold.

Townsville does sound like an exciting city.
At least for Australia's tropics being its biggest tropical city.

I'm wondering if you mean "tanned and itchy" you mean "sun burnt" which means going red.

I'm very tanned (brown) and love it. Despite my blonde hair and blue eyes, some people ask if I'm half-Pakistani or half-Australian Aboriginal. I like it because when I used to wear sunscreen regularly as a teen, anytime I did waterskiing I would get burnt almost instantly, as I couldn't handle direct sun well without it. This I found was ridiculous, as when I was a child I never burnt and never wore sunscreen. Now I just limit my unprotected sun exposure to where I can avoid my skin feeling "hot and dry" at the end of the day.
Yes, I meant this. I do hope that you'll enjoy your new place of living: great sun with great ocean and mountainous landscape. A full set of scenery

Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, I meant this. I do hope that you'll enjoy your new place of living: great sun with great ocean and mountainous landscape. A full set of scenery
thanks.
I hope you enjoy Tasmania.
I hear it's beautiful there.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
thanks.
I hope you enjoy Tasmania.
I hear it's beautiful there.
Honestly, we are still hesitating about where to move.
What are your first impressions of Townsville? Maybe you happen to know something about job market there?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
As you know Brisbane's summers aren't that hot for a sub-tropical climate. I did get hot walking around in the sun and humidity all day, though, but the thunderstorms make up for it. I'm pretty sure Townsville's climate will feel sufficiently torrid for your tastes!

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As you know Brisbane's summers aren't that hot for a sub-tropical climate. I did get hot walking around in the sun and humidity all day, though, but the thunderstorms make up for it.

I'm pretty sure Townsville's climate will feel sufficiently torrid for your tastes!
Ha ha ha. I only briefly felt "distinctly warm" on one day in Brisbane. This day had about 3-4 hours of sun, a sunrise temperature of 20 C and an afternoon maximum of about 28-29 C... roughly an average summer day during the *hottest* time of year. When the temperature dropped back to 25 C and was overcast, as early as 2pm, it felt coolish to me. Brisbane was never warm enough for me to even start sweating without excersize, even though there were puddles everywhere.

Two days ago it didn't even feel like summer in Townsville.
Only a half hour exceeded 25 C.

Yesterday was 24-25 C at sunrise, reaching a maximum of 31 C,
intermittent rain, lots of puddles, about 2-3 hrs of intermittent sunshine...
It's warm enough that I'd qualify it as summer, heat-wise it's still "mild heat."
I reckon a 29 C day in Perth's midday sunshine feels hotter with all the reflected sun heat.

I'm amazed and a bit confused as to how so many people find QLD summers too hot and muggy.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Having been back to San Juan, Puerto Rico in january for a month to help take care of my terminally ill father, my body felt like it was back home after a long time. I'm in the UK now and the asthma reared its ugly head. Body's used to it having heat indices around 90F everyday. Enjoy the cloudy afternoon and evening skies and the constant rainfall (I did) if Townsville is anything like San Juan that is. I don't want you to feel disappointed, but don't expect Caribbean like temps in north QLD. Townsville is quite cold at night for its latitude in winter

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-28-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Having been back to San Juan, Puerto Rico in january for a month to help take care of my terminally ill father, my body felt like it was back home after a long time. I'm in the UK now and the asthma reared its ugly head. Body's used to it having heat indices around 90F everyday. Enjoy the cloudy afternoon and evening skies and the constant rainfall (I did) if Townsville is anything like San Juan that is. I don't want you to feel disappointed, but don't expect Caribbean like temps in north QLD. Townsville is quite cold at night for its latitude in winter

History : Weather Underground
Oh I know.
Despite a similar latitude to San Juan,
I know Townsville's averages are more like Miami,
6 degrees further from the equator.

I'm enjoying the balmy evenings and tepid sunrise temperatures.

Not a problem. I might even appreciate a season that's slightly cool.
My main issue with a "tropical climate" that isn't very warm in winter was when I lived in a cold climate,
I use a tropical holiday to regain warm days I could not get in Canada.

Townsville's annual average low is still quite good, 20 C/68 F
which is still warmer than the warmest average monthly low in Perth's warmest coastal suburbs. (19 C/ 67 F)
It's also about the same as Brisbane's warmest average monthly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand