Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Oh I know.
Despite a similar latitude to San Juan,
I know Townsville's averages are more like Miami,
6 degrees further from the equator.

I'm enjoying the balmy evenings and tepid sunrise temperatures.

Not a problem. I might even appreciate a season that's slightly cool.
My main issue with a "tropical climate" that isn't very warm in winter was when I lived in a cold climate,
I use a tropical holiday to regain warm days I could not get in Canada.

Townsville's annual average low is still quite good, 20 C/68 F
which is still warmer than the warmest average monthly low in Perth's warmest coastal suburbs. (19 C/ 67 F)
It's also about the same as Brisbane's warmest average monthly low.
I think it's still quite good, getting a break from the daytime heat. Cairns has my most favorite climate in Australia. Puerto Rico heat during the day, cool subtropical highland like nights. I would probably appreciate coastal WA's Mediterranean climate more, but considering only my previous exposure to oceanic, continental hot summer, tropical monsoon and rainforest climates, my closest favorite would be tropical rainforest, which is found in the mountains of Puerto Rico, particularly the eastern 1/3 and Cairns seems to be the perfect fit for me. Sucks it took me years to become cold hardy, only to be ruined in one month It's a shame Australia is so far away, I'd move there in a heartbeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think it's still quite good, getting a break from the daytime heat. Cairns has my most favorite climate in Australia. Puerto Rico heat during the day, cool subtropical highland like nights. I would probably appreciate coastal WA's Mediterranean climate more, but considering only my previous exposure to oceanic, continental hot summer, tropical monsoon and rainforest climates, my closest favorite would be tropical rainforest, which is found in the mountains of Puerto Rico, particularly the eastern 1/3 and Cairns seems to be the perfect fit for me. Sucks it took me years to become cold hardy, only to be ruined in one month It's a shame Australia is so far away, I'd move there in a heartbeat
Nothing 'highland like' about nights in Cairns, which are reliably warm all year round. In the warmer part of the year they are downright muggy.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Nothing 'highland like' about nights in Cairns, which are reliably warm all year round. In the warmer part of the year they are downright muggy.
Having an average low temp of 13C across winter is pretty cold compared to the 23C that the capital of Puerto Rico offers and San Juan faces the wet trade winds and the ocean like Cairns does. Even Darwin is cooler than San Juan. The only places that get cool like Cairns in the Caribbean are cities located in the highlands, like Cayey, PR which is around 15C at night in winter. You bolded the part I deliberately wrote in there, that Cairns is like a subtropical highland location at night.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Having an average low temp of 13C across winter is pretty cold compared to the 23C that the capital of Puerto Rico offers and San Juan faces the wet trade winds and the ocean like Cairns does. Even Darwin is cooler than San Juan. The only places that get cool like Cairns in the Caribbean are cities located in the highlands, like Cayey, PR which is around 15C at night in winter. You bolded the part I deliberately wrote in there, that Cairns is like a subtropical highland location at night.
What station are you looking at?

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Average low in coolest month is 17.1C, maybe you saw the stats for one of the nearby stations.

I was in Cairns in August and nights were balmy.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
What station are you looking at?

Average low in coolest month is 17.1C, maybe you saw the stats for one of the nearby stations.

I was in Cairns in August and nights were balmy.
Looked at the airport records. Maybe the lower temps due to less urban heat island?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Looked at the airport records. Maybe the lower temps due to less urban heat island?
You may have been looking at Mareeba AP:

Average low of 13.6C in July but Mareeba is 472m asl. There is no station called Cairns Airport, it's Cairns Aero, the station I used, which is close to the city centre. Mareeba is a separate town.

Not much heat island effect in Cairns. Isn't really much industry and Cairns is not a big city. Winter there is noticeably different to say Townsville: higher humidity, gets some of the NE trade winds and actually moderate amounts of rain which allow the vegetation to be so lush. Compare nearby stations to Cairns which are equally mild in the winters.

If you find Cairns winter nights too warm there are always the Atherton Tablelands nearby, where Mareeba is (there are higher stations). But Cairns pretty much is the 'true tropics' in that it's warm to hot year-round, with only a handful of winter nights that feel cool.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Bangkok and Darwin are actually almost parallel versions of each other, roughly the same latitude too.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
Quote:
If you find Cairns winter nights too warm there are always the Atherton Tablelands nearby, where Mareeba is (there are higher stations). But Cairns pretty much is the 'true tropics' in that it's warm to hot year-round, with only a handful of winter nights that feel cool.
Somehow I doubt *winter nights being too warm* will be an issue for me.

I like the mornings just the way they are this time of year ...
actually sunrise doesn't really feel warm here when it's 24 C/75 F, if it's overcast at the time.
I'm not looking forward to nighttime temps as Townsville transitions to the Dry Season.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Somehow I doubt *winter nights being too warm* will be an issue for me.

I like the mornings just the way they are this time of year ...
actually sunrise doesn't really feel warm here when it's 24 C/75 F, if it's overcast at the time.
I'm not looking forward to nighttime temps as Townsville transitions to the Dry Season.
How you dealing with the intense sun? uvi like what 14/15 there?

Old 03-03-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
How you dealing with the intense sun? uvi like what 14/15 there?
I believe I may be wrong, but I think the UV index is actually lower in northern Queensland than around 30°S. I always hear about the ozone hole being over southern Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand