U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:43 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,251,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
All depends on how you qualify "living/quality". If it involves money, then America offers more if you're middle class and up. Blue collar workers have a higher minimum wage, better health care, education and social security in Australia.

Most things cost significantly more in Australia and taxes are higher. Cars and housing for example are 2-3 more expensive.

I can get a 30 year FIXED loan here in the USA @ 3.875%, but in Australia you can't lock in for more than 5 years and the interest rate is 6-7% for a 30 year loan. A $400K house in the USA would cost $800K to a million in Australia in the current market conditions.

Americans also enjoy more freedoms IMHO, but that can be a good or bad thing depending on what side of the fence you're on.

As for beaches, I grew up on the Gold Coast and have lived at Bondi, but I have not been to CA beaches. IIRC there is a fundamental difference in the surf. Oz is a wind driven swell and Ca is tidal or something like that - don't quote me.

I have never seen a Shark when out surfing in Oz, but I have seen a mountain lion and lots of bears and surprised a few rattlers when mountain biking.

IME Australians "get" America due to all the American media they are exposed to. American's don't get much Oz media and have difficulty with the culture and accents.
Beach culture in CA is pretty different to Oz, but ultimately beach culture anywhere is pretty much the same. Mission Beach in San Diego, I believe, has an interesting feel, the way the buildings line the beach is something you don't see in Oz (in Oz there's usually a road between beach and the main buildings, aside from say the surf lifesaving club, a few cafes etc).

Never lived in the US but I think quality of life for the average person is better in Australia, although the US has more to see and do imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,018,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually when I booked my flight I thought I only had 3 1/2 weeks...it turns out circumstances changed (I quit my job, or rather couldn't continue) and that might've been a possibility. I do see quite a few deals to Hawaii nowadays, but I don't think Qantas flies direct to Honolulu. I'd have to go with United probably or maybe Air NZ?
Qantas flies direct 3x/week. If you went United then you'd have to go the LAX and fly backwards, a major PITA. Air NZ you would have to fly to AKL, not as big a detour, but Hawaiian, Jetstar and Qantas all have direct service to Hawaii.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Qantas flies direct 3x/week. If you went United then you'd have to go the LAX and fly backwards, a major PITA. Air NZ you would have to fly to AKL, not as big a detour, but Hawaiian, Jetstar and Qantas all have direct service to Hawaii.
Thanks for the info, Hawaii is in my plans somewhere, maybe next time I go to the States.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 AM

1,516 posts, read 3,178,211 times
California as a whole is one of the most desirable places to live in the world!

I live in Sydney, but I've been to Southern California (LA) and I think it's a fantastic place..

The coast in SoCal is much better and aesthetically nicer.. The coastal areas of SoCal (Los Angeles) are nice unkept high-end areas..

Where as Bondi is rundown, graffiti, dirty etc..

People in SoCal are much more relaxed, in Sydney there is this aggressive behavior..

Traffic in Sydney is just as bad as LA, but with violence..

Weather in SoCal is better than NSW/Sydney

And not to mention the topography/terrain of Cali, where mountains, snow are just behind of LA..

Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 AM

206 posts, read 327,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Where as Bondi is rundown, graffiti, dirty etc..
It's not graffiti, it's street art encouraged by the city and by very talented people. Bondi aims for a very urban feel, it is rather unique, but if you don't like that there are 150 other beaches in the city on the harbour and the coast.

Quote:
People in SoCal are much more relaxed, in Sydney there is this aggressive behavior..
Not aggressive, people in Sydney are friendly they're just... rushed and impatient.

Quote:
Traffic in Sydney is just as bad as LA, but with violence..
Violence is pretty rare...

Quote:
Weather in SoCal is better than NSW/Sydney
I wouldn't say that, the temperature and weather are similar, however SoCal has much less humidity so it doesn't feel as hot.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM

176 posts, read 562,363 times
I lived in SoCal for about a year around 2006. I'd say it's not laid back at all but maybe that's just the people I associated with. The population is pretty big so you could find all types I'm sure.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,504,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm21 View Post
I lived in SoCal for about a year around 2006. I'd say it's not laid back at all but maybe that's just the people I associated with. The population is pretty big so you could find all types I'm sure.
Well of course having a holiday somewhere one always gets an accurate perception of a place! ( )

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 PM

There's quite a bit of aggro on the roads in Australia in general. In Sydney just multiply that by two because of how busy it is.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,910,189 times
I think if the O.P. has the luxury of dual citizenship he should give Australia a try - even if he doesn't stay permanently. Travel is always a beneficial experience - you learn so much about the world and yourself. It makes you more open-minded and adaptable. I think a year or two trial period in Australia would be fantastic for a young guy. As others have said - it may suit you.

As far as beach lifestyle there are a number of places in California you can achieve that - LA, OC, San Diego County, Santa Cruz, Pismo. If you live in New England it would be quite the experience for you to come out here. Hawaii might be another option. Fantastic beaches and a lifestyle and culture as close to a foreign country without actually leaving the US. A beach lifestyle is easy to find there.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

973 posts, read 1,406,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
It's not graffiti, it's street art encouraged by the city and by very talented people. Bondi aims for a very urban feel, it is rather unique, but if you don't like that there are 150 other beaches in the city on the harbour and the coast.

Not aggressive, people in Sydney are friendly they're just... rushed and impatient.

Violence is pretty rare...

I wouldn't say that, the temperature and weather are similar, however SoCal has much less humidity so it doesn't feel as hot.
Bondi has to be the worst beach that the poster picked. There are much nicer calmer and sandier beaches in Sydney than any in SoCal. The best beach in SoCal is by far and away Coronado and it's no where near as nice as Airlie or even Palm if you want to be near a city. The big issue with beach living in Australia is that you are stuck between either being close to a built up city or our in the sticks. (I include the Gong, Rockhampton and GC as being part of the city)

I don't think there are any freeway shootings in Sydney and people are just as aggressive a driver in SoCal, it's just that they don't do anything about it because there is always a chance that the aggressive driver has at least a handgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand