U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Bondi has to be the worst beach that the poster picked. There are much nicer calmer and sandier beaches in Sydney than any in SoCal. The best beach in SoCal is by far and away Coronado and it's no where near as nice as Airlie or even Palm if you want to be near a city. The big issue with beach living in Australia is that you are stuck between either being close to a built up city or our in the sticks. (I include the Gong, Rockhampton and GC as being part of the city)

I don't think there are any freeway shootings in Sydney and people are just as aggressive a driver in SoCal, it's just that they don't do anything about it because there is always a chance that the aggressive driver has at least a handgun.
The East Coast is pretty good, try the west. Heaps of development and many sizable towns and cities. Bondi is popular only because it's in Sydney, it's the place you go if you want to see hot European backpackers in bikinis - or not, haha.

Doubt it's available over there but look for a movie called 'Puberty Blues', and also 'Bra Boys' depicting beach life in Sydney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,572,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Doubt it's available over there but look for a movie called 'Puberty Blues', and also 'Bra Boys' depicting beach life in Sydney.
Great movies... PB is a bit out of date, since it was a late 70's movie and Bra Boys is enough to scare anyone away. It's about hard core, locals/territorial surf culture. Kind of like recommending Animal Kingdom, Chopper, Romper Stomper or The Boys to get an idea about the Australian way of life . Bra Boys is kind of an Australia Z-boys.

FWIW Bra boys was available via netflix over here - at least it was a few years back.

Last edited by Colorado^; 02-29-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,572,780 times
Quote:
I don't think there are any freeway shootings in Sydney and people are just as aggressive as drivers in SoCal, it's just that they don't do anything about it because there is always a chance that the aggressive driver has at least a handgun.
+1 here in Colorado (and most of the USA) you can walk into a gun store and walk out an hour later with a handgun powerful enough to kill a buffalo - at which point you can load it with hollow points and stick it in your glovebox. No permit required.

Only if you want to walk around with your gun AKA "conceal carry", then you need a permit.

There are some real 'me first' jerks over here on the road and they get away with it because people fear being shot at.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,404,722 times
Quote:
The East Coast is pretty good, try the west. Heaps of development and many sizable towns and cities. Bondi is popular only because it's in Sydney, it's the place you go if you want to see hot European backpackers in bikinis - or not, haha.

Actually Bra Boys is really a bit over the top and specific to Maroubra and PB is very much about the Shire which is kind of a microcosm of late seventies Australia.

Something that really shows Australian beach culture outside of the city is something like Coolangatta Gold.

The people who end up at Bondi are the Westies and the Poms. The best beach in the vicinity is probably Clovelly.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,335,743 times
Quote:
Actually Bra Boys is really a bit over the top and specific to Maroubra and PB is very much about the Shire which is kind of a microcosm of late seventies Australia.

Something that really shows Australian beach culture outside of the city is something like Coolangatta Gold.

The people who end up at Bondi are the Westies and the Poms. The best beach in the vicinity is probably Clovelly.
Thats probably because every tourist brochure produced for the foreign market has Bondi on its front cover, every morning show from Sydney shows Bondi in a heatwave, as if its the only place to be.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Thats probably because every tourist brochure produced for the foreign market has Bondi on its front cover, every morning show from Sydney shows Bondi in a heatwave, as if its the only place to be.
Let alone shows like Bondi Rescue. Why not Scarborough Rescue? lol

Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,014,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Bondi has far more going for it than the beach though. Infact I'd say the beach is probably the least enjoyable part.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Bondi has far more going for it than the beach though. Infact I'd say the beach is probably the least enjoyable part.
True, the times I've gone to Bondi I haven't actually got my bathers on or gone in the water. If you go when it's not too crowded it's nice to just stroll along the beach, check out the shops, cafes etc.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 12,315 times
1 vote for bondi beach Australia. I have spent my 5 days vacation there before and really enjoyed it a lot specially some of their activities.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,014,814 times
Quote:
True, the times I've gone to Bondi I haven't actually got my bathers on or gone in the water. If you go when it's not too crowded it's nice to just stroll along the beach, check out the shops, cafes etc.
It's very much a city beach which are fairly rare things. The grafitti, the general rundowness the bars/clubs/restaurants of it give it a sort of character that's very different to any other beach in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand