U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,789,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It's very much a city beach which are fairly rare things. The grafitti, the general rundowness the bars/clubs/restaurants of it give it a sort of character that's very different to any other beach in Australia.
any other surf beach?
St Kilda is similar. Although I know, I know, to some it "aint a beach"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM

2,434 posts, read 3,090,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
any other surf beach?
It's not the same, you don't get the surf city culture.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:39 PM

24,683 posts, read 44,404,535 times
Quote:
any other surf beach?
Does anyone actually go to St. Kilda for the beach?

Bondi isn't exactly that rare. Manly, Glenelg, Cottesloe, Brighton Beach - each city has it's traditional beach with lots of old buildings, a grittiness to it.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
It's not the same, you don't get the surf city culture.
pretty much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Bondi isn't exactly that rare. Manly, Glenelg, Cottesloe, Brighton Beach - each city has it's traditional beach with lots of old buildings, a grittiness to it.
Of course!
Right before they down a few at the Prince

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:

It's not the old buildings it's the mix of the city culture with a surf culture. If St Kilda had surfers then it would be similar to Bondi. Most other beaches tend to be in beachside suburbs, which just feel like suburbia on the coast.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM

Quote:
It's not the old buildings it's the mix of the city culture with a surf culture. If St Kilda had surfers then it would be similar to Bondi. Most other beaches tend to be in beachside suburbs, which just feel like suburbia on the coast.
The ultimate example of that city on the beach feel is of course Surfer's Paradise. Bondi just feels like any of the older Sydney beachside suburbs like Manly, Maroubra etc, with a bit of the hip vibe of Newtown or Paddington.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
The ultimate example of that city on the beach feel is of course Surfer's Paradise. Bondi just feels like any of the older Sydney beachside suburbs like Manly, Maroubra etc, with a bit of the hip vibe of Newtown or Paddington.
No, you're missing my point. It's not about the buildings it's about the vibe. Bondi is really an inner city beach, like you said, very much like a lot of other inner city suburbs around Sydney (Potts Point, Paddington, Surry Hills etc) thrown in. The exception being that in Bondi you get the surf culture mixed in with the inner city culture. Manly (and most definitely the Gold Coast) are not like that at all. The Gold Coast is just a lot of high rises, and rather soul less. Manly, Maroubra etc are very different beaches. Maroubra is still very much working class suburbia for example. I can't imagine heading down there for a night out on the town.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
No, you're missing my point. It's not about the buildings it's about the vibe. Bondi is really an inner city beach, like you said, very much like a lot of other inner city suburbs around Sydney (Potts Point, Paddington, Surry Hills etc) thrown in. The exception being that in Bondi you get the surf culture mixed in with the inner city culture. Manly (and most definitely the Gold Coast) are not like that at all. The Gold Coast is just a lot of high rises, and rather soul less. Manly, Maroubra etc are very different beaches. Maroubra is still very much working class suburbia for example. I can't imagine heading down there for a night out on the town.
What 'inner city' culture are you exactly referring to? A wide variety of street shopping? A lot of pubs, live music venues? Lots of high rises and condos? You find this in plenty of places within about 10 km of the Sydney or Melbourne CBD (and further out). Fremantle is an example of a coastal city with that vibe too. Cottesloe has basically everything Bondi has just on a smaller scale. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'inner city beach' but I think you find that all over Australia, because the coastal suburbs were some of the first to be settled. If anything I'd say St. Kilda has more of a city feel than Bondi does, although no it doesn't have that surfing culture. It no doubt would if it wasn't on a bay.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What 'inner city' culture are you exactly referring to? A wide variety of street shopping? A lot of pubs, live music venues? Lots of high rises and condos? You find this in plenty of places within about 10 km of the Sydney or Melbourne CBD (and further out). Fremantle is an example of a coastal city with that vibe too. Cottesloe has basically everything Bondi has just on a smaller scale. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'inner city beach' but I think you find that all over Australia, because the coastal suburbs were some of the first to be settled. If anything I'd say St. Kilda has more of a city feel than Bondi does, although no it doesn't have that surfing culture. It no doubt would if it wasn't on a bay.
I do agree with you that other inner city beaches have a vibe. To me, St Kilda has a vibe that is more my style than say, Bondi

I think BCC is referring to the surfie culture, mixed with the city folk rather than just beach/coastal living.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20
What 'inner city' culture are you exactly referring to?
Quote:
I think BCC is referring to the surfie culture, mixed with the city folk rather than just beach/coastal living.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand