Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Although I have not spent much time in Melbourne, having listened to many TV shows emanating out of Melbourne, I would say the accent is much broader than Sydney's.
Of course, I am not including bogan shows like Kath and Kim, or the uncultured accent of the Minogue sisters.
Nah the differences within cities and between country/city are much greater than between states. For instance, take the typical middle class suburban family. Whether they be in Perth, Melbourne or Brisbane they are going to roughly sound the same. Now compare someone from the North Shore, to someone from Campbelltown, and the different will be noticeable. Or someone from inner city Melbourne to someone in the Northwestern and Northern suburbs. I'd say overall, Melbourne and Sydney urban accents are a bit more watered down or 'progressive' than other accents, but they have their fair share of broad accents. Perth's accent isn't particularly strong. Of the capital cities, Hobart and then Brisbane probably average out as a bit stronger than the others. Young people with the broad accent are not uncommon in small country towns, but aren't so common in urban areas anymore, even in the 'poorer' areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:27 AM

58 posts, read 162,727 times
I'm the same - I am very good at mimicking accents, but also pick them up if I'm in a place long enough.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 AM

58 posts, read 162,727 times
there's absolutely no trace of a Welsh accent in Julia's accent. I'm from Wales - although I don't have a "welsh" accent - but Julia's from Barry which is very south walian. It does sound like she's trying too hard.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,795,201 times
I don't find the Australian accent easy to pick up.

I've been here for over a year and get surprised that people pick out my accent as being foreign, often in 2-3 words.
Funny, but I do not consider being Canadian a part of my personal identity.
Being Canadian for me is coincidental.
Since being here, I don't hear Australian accents easily.
Funny I can listen to it unaware, but people pick me out immediately.

Canadian/American English is more different to Australian English than British English.

I would assume my accent has less than 10% Australian influence.
I'm still not sure how Australians say a few of their sounds; I'm missing some of the subtleties.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,631 times
Here's a video from the ABC of Julia Gillard speaking during her student politics days in 1980.

Julia Gillard footage from ABC Archives | Facebook

Old 03-15-2012, 11:55 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
I can't believe anyone would try to sound like her on purpose!
It's probably a mix of welsh and Australian, that's she's picked up due to how her parents talk.
haha my sister does a dead on impression. Its hilarious, and mostly consists of "moving forward"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That said, I think that, after a certain age, you don't pick up the accent of another country. Look at all the immigrants who came over here (the US) in their 30s. People can still peg what country they came from in a heartbeat.
I agree. There are many people who have lived in Australia for 30-odd years and never picked up the accent... still have thick migrant accents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Accents in young people have changed in the past 30years, depending on where they live and go to school, Northern and Western suburbs of Melbourne the young have been influenced by ethnic migrants. American TV programmes and movies.
*shudder* I can't stand that accent that you're referring to. I don't understand why they need to put that crappy accent on

Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

I agree. There are many people who have lived in Australia for 30-odd years and never picked up the accent... still have thick migrant accents...
I'd like to think my accent sounds mild to Aussies.
I've adopted "ba-non-ah" and "to-mah-to" for example.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'd like to think my accent sounds mild to Aussies.
I've adopted "ba-non-ah" and "to-mah-to" for example.
The a's are the ones you have to pronounce differently right? Like think of the candian way of saying 'at' that a sound is more of an 'o' like in in ott. Vowels change the most I think.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
The a's are the ones you have to pronounce differently right? Like think of the candian way of saying 'at' that a sound is more of an 'o' like in in ott. Vowels change the most I think.
actually in australia (and England) it's a mish-mash.
Some words with "a" sound the same,
others have "ah" sounds, rhyming with "father," instead of what we expect to hear

Ex: matter is never "mahtter" (motter), hand is never "hahnd"

Old 03-20-2012, 06:27 PM

104 posts, read 276,521 times
my boyfriend is from Perth and I'm from the US and he always laughs so hard when I try to imitate and aussie accent. It's very difficult to mimic correctly.

However, I am now very good at telling who is fake and who isn't. People who are fake tend to pronounce Australia "AusTRAILya" whereas a true aussie would say "AuSTRAYlia"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand