Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 AM

7 posts, read 14,813 times

Advertisements

Ah, Ms Marini is just generalising about Australia, anyway you are following her don´t you?
Actually I know plenty of young italians with master degrees working as waiter in London, Berlin, NY...I don´t think we are arrogant..we are just annoyed that our country can´t offer us what our parents had so easily (jobs) and we´re looking for them abroad..someone just may not be made for it...but for instance I´m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I doubt Manderin Interpreter is high on the skills assessment list these days, we have plenty of them already.

Italy, its the only country I have being to and have vowed never to visit agian, a lovely place, rurined by not so lovely people.

Anyway to the OP, you will be hard pressed to find an Australian city cheaper than Barcelona these days.

Brisbane would possibly be the most afforable large city in Australia at the moment (it is as far as realestate prices are concerned), it has a far more tropical climate than Barcelona, a lot more rainfall, warmer winters, and humid summers, you would find it quite hot i am sure. As for work, that depends a lot on what sort of work you are looking for?
I´m currently still studying foreign languages, I may work as interpreter..are German, Spanish and Italian requested in the australian work market? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Don't worry. Australians generally are welcoming of Europeans. The migrants who came out here, back in the 50's - 70's worked very hard to change their lives. Don't take a lot of what Australians say too seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjii View Post
I´m currently still studying foreign languages, I may work as interpreter..are German, Spanish and Italian requested in the australian work market? Thanks!
At a guess, not really... Asian (Mandarin, Japanese etc) would be more sought after. However... there may be some places where these languages are preferred.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Unfortunately, Ms Marini, intellectualism doesn't pay the bills.

I do love when someone can turn up and in a month cast such wide generalisations. Having spent far more time in Italy than she ever will in Australia, I can make some fairly accurate observations about Italy. None of which are particularly flattering.
It's a pretty fair comment, though (re: history and intellectualism).

Quote:
Actually I´m from Venice Italy, that´s the reason why I would prefer a milder climate than the german one..I live in Berlin though
sorry, my mistake.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:16 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Ah, Ms Marini is just generalising about Australia, anyway you are following her don´t you?
Actually I know plenty of young italians with master degrees working as waiter in London, Berlin, NY...I don´t think we are arrogant..we are just annoyed that our country can´t offer us what our parents had so easily (jobs) and we´re looking for them abroad..someone just may not be made for it...but for instance I´m
As artemis said, don't take us too seriously.

I think the woman highlighted was the exception not the rule. I have family in Italy so I know the good and the bad. Italians (and many other immigrants from the same era) are held in high regard in Australia, mainly because they're the ones who came and worked their arses off and literally, with their hands, helped build this country.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Hi everybody! Considering the economic situation of Europe a lot of people here are thinking to spend a period in Australia and even to relocate there..what is the best city to relocate to? Personally I´m looking for a hot climate city maybe similar to Barcelona-Spain but a way cheaper and not as turistic as the Mediterranean city...could it be Brisbane? And how is the work market there?
Can someone give me a piece of advice? thanks
While the weather is certainly better,it is doubtful these days if you will find any Australian city as cheap as Berlin.
It can be hard getting Italian or other European qualifications accepted,even if recognised.
I know Italians here in Perth late twenties and other 34, degree educated but working as waiters in a Pizzeria. They seem to be happy enough as are making fairly decent money,but long term neither are sure what to do, beyond moving to Melbourne.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
While the weather is certainly better,it is doubtful these days if you will find any Australian city as cheap as Berlin.
It can be hard getting Italian or other European qualifications accepted,even if recognised.
I know Italians here in Perth late twenties and other 34, degree educated but working as waiters in a Pizzeria. They seem to be happy enough as are making fairly decent money,but long term neither are sure what to do, beyond moving to Melbourne.
Actually I could even spend some time in Australia before going back to Europe just to practice English and save money..But as I have studies languages it would be useful anyway

Old 03-12-2012, 04:12 PM

It's a pretty fair comment, though and I know Italy very well trust me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand