Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I didn't see that bit, all I saw was someone complaining that they weren't entitled to a carer's allowance.

Whether you treat Australian born children in NZ is a decision for NZ to make. I couldn't care less.
You agree with some taxpayers not getting the help their children need in Australia ?
Children who are Aussie citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So have you dropped your NZ citizenship as yet or does NZ owe you ?
As a born and bred New Zealander it is my right to retain my citizenship for whatever reasons I see fit. Have you dropped yours given the fact you have lived in Australia for so many years?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 PM

4,214 posts, read 4,883,280 times
Quote:
You agree with some taxpayers not getting the help their children need in Australia ?
Children who are Aussie citizens.
If they have lived there for that long, then why haven't they gotten PR or citizenship? A little personal responsibility goes a long way. The children are entitled to healthcare, the parents are not entitled to welfare.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,269,557 times
The health care system in Australia and New Zealand is reciprocal so this debate is pointless.

Up until a few years ago we could travel between countries without passports. It is only recently that visas have even come in.

My bf is still in NZ, she is a registered nurse and gets paid NZ$26 per hour - all hours, night or day, weekends, split shifts...doesn't matter. Currently that works out to be around A$22.

She is grateful to receive this pittance as NZ is encouraging non-english speaking nurse immigrants which keeps the wages low. Mind you the care they give is horrific, but they're cheap!

A friend in Aus who is NOT QUALIFIED, does weekend and shift CARING (no degree!) gets paid A$80ph in the weekend...about NZ$110.

My RN BFF has no carpet, cannot afford to put petrol in her car, and basically lives in poverty even though she works her arse off at a very demanding job. She never goes to the doctor as it costs $60 a pop (no medicare), whereas I go for free...100 times a week if I feel like it.

Booze is incredibly cheap in NZ too...as long as you can walk to buy it...no one can afford to run a car. I wonder if the Govt is purposely keeping it's population drunk so they don't realise the mess they live in.

That to me is below an acceptable standard of living. No wonder we call it Mexico.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times
Quote:
If they have lived there for that long, then why haven't they gotten PR or citizenship? A little personal responsibility goes a long way. The children are entitled to healthcare, the parents are not entitled to welfare.

Fair enough you believe tax payers in Aus are not entitled to welfare when they need it.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
As a born and bred New Zealander it is my right to retain my citizenship for whatever reasons I see fit. Have you dropped yours given the fact you have lived in Australia for so many years?
AND served in the Australian military.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM

4,214 posts, read 4,883,280 times
Quote:
Fair enough you believe tax payers in Aus are not entitled to welfare when they need it.
Is a WHV entitled to welfare when they need it? No.

Is a 457 visa holder entitled to welfare when they need it? No.

Why should a SVC holder be entitled to welfare, when every other visa category isn't, even though they pay tax?

We are not running a drop in centre for Kiwis to come and go as they please and have full recourse to the social security system.

Last edited by BCC_1; 05-01-2012 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
Quote:
I blame our education system for people being ignorant of the FACTS about the nuclear issue.
The anti- American bias came about because a very dumb US ambassador to NZ stated we had no right as a sovereign country to ban US naval ships with carrying nukes visiting OUR ports.
So you can blame the idiocy of a Reagan picked ambassador for kiwis getting just a touch annoyed.
And no it was not only left wing kiwis who wanted to keep the ban, the right were also saying who the hell are the yanks to tell us what we will do in our country.
One has to wonder what the hell Reagan was doing in picking such a prat.
It was over 25 years ago, so who cares? Time to move on.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Anyone who can't run a car on $26 an hour, needs budgeting skills.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Fix the real problem .. The NZ economy. Then people will stay, even native born kiwis who wont find the need to move to Australia. I never understand immigrant who c plain about other immigrants coming to Oz
Not all Kiwis that move to Australia do so for economic reasons, that's a myth perpetuated by the media.

The last 140 years prior to 2000 the NZ and Aus economy were very similar, GDP and wages similar and yet kiwis moved in similar "percentage of population" as they do now in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The media forget to factor in population growth when they print those sensational headlines "Kiwis moving to Aus in record numbers". People buy into it and there click count goes up lol.

Australia is the bigger market, more job progression opportunity is a very common reason. I have known people to move for a change and sure a few for money.

Quote:
Is a WHV entitled to welfare when they need it? No.

Is a 457 visa holder entitled to welfare when they need it? No.

Why should a SVC holder be entitled to welfare, when every other visa category isn't, even though they pay tax?

We are not running a drop in centre for Kiwis to come and go as they please and have full recourse to the social security system.

Australia benefits heavily from leaving the door wide open and free-loads off New Zealand.

Often get high skilled highly experienced professionals trained at the expense of the NZ taxpayer. At worst they get people that work harder than Aussies that fit right in.

The whole welfare garbage sprang from a few media articles around 2000 showing a handful of lazy kids (kiwis) holidaying on the Gold Coast on the doll. Hardly representative of the fact that Kiwis had a higher rate of employment in Aus than Aussies.

Aussies are not great at questioning the media I have found, just accept all as the truth and at face value.

Last edited by Battleneter; 05-09-2012 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand