Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Any Australians wanting to move the United States?
Yes, I want a Chevrolet, Hamburger and celebrate the 4th of July. 53 56.99%
No, I want a Holden, Chiko Roll and celebrate Australia Day. 40 43.01%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
As for BCC or whatever your name is, why should I leave? Why should I be forced out? Why shouldn't I fight for my rights? Why should I walk away? Why shouldn't I feel upset when new migrants from 3rd world hellholes are welcomed here with open arms with governments talking about 'tolerance' and 'diversity' while discriminating against me? I have family here. I have a history here. And I have every right to live here as anyone else. Why should I be forced out as if in exile?
Who said anything about forcing you out? You haven't had a single positive thing to say about Sydney or Australia, so why on Earth would you live here? You've made the most superficial comparisons; lack of an entertainment industry, no nude cities, a diversity of climates. Then you say, Sydney is a dump and everyone knows it. Not once have you made a single positive statement. It's baffling to think someone would live somewhere, voluntarily, that they profess a borderline hatred for.

As for the gay marriage thing, of course it should be changed, but to reduce arguments about "personal freedom" down to a single point of difference is absurd. How about those prisoners in Guantanmo, who have been held without trial for over a decade? I guess you don't think much of their personal freedom because it's outside your narrow frame of reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Of course, BBC shot me down in another thread for daring to suggest that Latin America wasn't as backwards as commonly perceived here by smug Australians who have had a Cuba Libre in Havana and suddenly are experts on Latin American social issues
Well you'd be wrong on multiple levels...

I have lived in Latin America for 18 months.

I have extended family there.

I can speak conversational Portuguese and passable Spanish, so I wasn't hanging out with expats when I lived there, quite the opposite.

I guess that just makes me a smug Australian with no idea.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
I can't have my marriage with another man legally recognised in Australia. I can in many states in the USA.

States | Freedom to Marry

I can engage in legal surrogacy throughout the country in the US. In Australia, I can only do it in Victoria, and I can't pay for the priviledge. I'm sure multitudes of Victorian women are burning to lend their wombs to gay New South Welsh man for free

SEE NOW? Yes, just another whining Sydneysider with nothing better to do, right?

So before you judge me for being anti-patriotic, how would you feel if your country didn't recognise your union with the one you loved? If you were denied the right to have a family? How would you like to feel like a second class citizen in the place you were born in? I have every right to call this place a dump, a backward, conservative society because I don't enjoy the same basic rights afforded to other Australians

As for BCC or whatever your name is, why should I leave? Why should I be forced out? Why shouldn't I fight for my rights? Why should I walk away? Why shouldn't I feel upset when new migrants from 3rd world hellholes are welcomed here with open arms with governments talking about 'tolerance' and 'diversity' while discriminating against me? I have family here. I have a history here. And I have every right to live here as anyone else. Why should I be forced out as if in exile?

So before you all act like 13yo school girls joking about old nude men in San Franciso, maybe you need to think outside your own narrow existence. If you're white, straight and from Vaucluse, I can see why Australia would be such a great place
As an American just fyi.. its not all rosy. Over 50% live in states that do not allow or restrict same sex marriage/civil unions.

The Republican party tried to have anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage policies as part of its official platform.

We elected George Bush... twice.

anti gay anti muslim Michelle Bachman got re-elected (google Michelle Bachman gay husband.. ironic)

And how can we forget Sarah Palin, the queen of someone that should disappear.

Etc etc.

on the flip side there are 200,000 Aussies lviing in the US versus under 80k in Oz (last time I checked) so there must be something in the water (here) that keeps people coming.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As an American just fyi.. its not all rosy. Over 50% live in states that do not allow or restrict same sex marriage/civil unions.
This is a quirk of Constitutional history, IMO. If the Australian Constitution had not made laws regarding marriage a Federal issue, we would have something similar to the US, with states split on the issue. As it is the states have no rights to legislate for marriage here.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
Quote:
Is this directed at me? hehe. The US is definitely a good place to find a man - for a lady or a gentleman (speaking from personal experience )
It was sort of an example of what we have that others don't. We didn't get where we are today by being cowards and taking the easy road. It's more than shooting off your mouth. It genuine and real....you CAN back it up.

No one is ever a victim if they choose the right partner.......the Second Amendment that is.

When the U.S. is mad at someone....they soon RUN with fear!

That fear comes from within....we have the purist blood and heart of all with the right people.

No one scares enemies the way we do.......look at our history.

Look at the 911 attacks.....cowards.

They knew better than to come to the Midwest........

Last edited by A. Victor; 11-20-2012 at 09:06 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well you'd be wrong on multiple levels...

I have lived in Latin America for 18 months.

I have extended family there.

I guess that just makes me a smug Australian with no idea.

Whatever. I guess some things are just over some people's heads.

Comparing gay marriage to Guantanamo? That has said a lot more than you intended it to. Maybe I should be happy because I'm not in Guantanamo! Oh I can feel the love...

Just because the right to walk around clothes free doesn't fit in with your idea of 'freedom' or worthy of being discussed, doesn't make it so. You complained that the reasons for me disliking this place were frivolous. That is a value judgement and it is no more right or wrong than the next person. To a nudist, that reason WOULD be very important. But you don't feel that way, so it isn't worthy of being taken seriously. Later on you were provided with two very legitimate reasons but refused to address them anyway.

I can feel the way I feel and because my feelings are not positive or in line with yours does not make them worthy of your derision or psuedo-analysis. Get used to them; a sizeable minority to which I belong feels this way.

Long live the States!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Well I feel so much better..a de facto union. Nice concession, we should be happy now. The fact you would even mention it as allowing me "to have the same rights I would" shows how little you know on the topic. Keeping signing those petitions and feeling good about yourself

Even Mexico is far more progressive on issues of same-sex marriage and adoption - . Of course, BBC shot me down in another thread for daring to suggest that Latin America wasn't as backwards as commonly perceived here by smug Australians who have had a Cuba Libre in Havana and suddenly are experts on Latin American social issues:

Mexico Gay Marriage: Supreme Court Orders All Mexican States To Recognize Weddings Performed In Mexico City
Oh you bore.

I was stating if I did not get married and lived with someone, you would have the same rights as I would. Did you miss the bit where I said I am 100% pro equality in marriage? I don't do it to feel good, some of us get involved, because its the right thing.

I wonder if you would be involved in something that wasn't part of YOUR narrow existence. I highly doubt it.

Grow up.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
We have many states that recognize same-sex marriage, already been through this

Quote:
The Republican party tried to have anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage policies as part of its official platform.
And Americans voted against all the crazy Republicans lol

Quote:
We elected George Bush... twice.
We elected Barack Obama... twice.

Quote:
anti gay anti muslim Michelle Bachman got re-elected (google Michelle Bachman gay husband.. ironic)
If you seen NW Minneapolis suburbs (Bachman district) you really wouldnt be surprised she got re-elected lol.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Comparing gay marriage to Guantanamo?
No. Comparing a single issue and reaching a conclusion based on that, just like you did.

Quote:
Just because the right to walk around clothes free doesn't fit in with your idea of 'freedom' or worthy of being discussed, doesn't make it so. You complained that the reasons for me disliking this place were frivolous. That is a value judgement and it is no more right or wrong than the next person. To a nudist, that reason WOULD be very important. But you don't feel that way, so it isn't worthy of being taken seriously. Later on you were provided with two very legitimate reasons but refused to address them anyway.
We have nude beaches, more than the US in fact. And the US just lost it's only nude city...

San Francisco votes to ban public nudity | World news | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
I can feel the way I feel and because my feelings are not positive or in line with yours does not make them worthy of your derision or psuedo-analysis. Get used to them; a sizeable minority to which I belong feels this way.
I haven't said you can't feel anyway you want. Get used to having them questioned or challenged without retorting with remarks like..."just another smug Australian".

Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We have many states that recognize same-sex marriage, already been through this

And Americans voted against all the crazy Republicans lol

We elected Barack Obama... twice.

If you seen NW Minneapolis suburbs (Bachman district) you really wouldnt be surprised she got re-elected lol.
Exactly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand