U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Any Australians wanting to move the United States?
Yes, I want a Chevrolet, Hamburger and celebrate the 4th of July. 48 60.76%
No, I want a Holden, Chiko Roll and celebrate Australia Day. 31 39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM

8,134 posts, read 5,337,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCostas91 View Post
Off course you are...
I meant financially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM

31 posts, read 18,104 times
Quote:
Well the allure for me to the Boston/ New England area is
1. Four distinct seasons
2. Town hall style government
3. Geographic variety in a small space (cape cod beaches/ new Hampshire mountains/ Vermont country side)
4. Boston RedSox
The red sox, bruins and celtics blow lol. MIAMI

Winter is horrible up here, you might like snow and cold but I personally hate it. Beaches are alright but I'd rather be in FL for that. No comment on the government because I'm not into that type of stuff haha

Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,011,139 times
Quote:
1. Four distinct seasons
3. Geographic variety in a small space (cape cod beaches/ new Hampshire mountains/ Vermont country side)
4. Boston RedSox
Now that is amusing, Americans believe those who pay tax in the USA but are not citizens should not get the vote and they don't.
It seems their memory of no taxation without representation has faded.

Baseball, why ?, yes it is a simple game that is easy to follow but it hardly has the range of skills one sees in Cricket.
Can you imagine the shame in cricket if all fielders wore gloves on their non throwing hand to protect their pinkies.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:20 PM

19 posts, read 20,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Now that is amusing, Americans believe those who pay tax in the USA but are not citizens should not get the vote and they don't.
It seems their memory of no taxation without representation has faded.

Baseball, why ?, yes it is a simple game that is easy to follow but it hardly has the range of skills one sees in Cricket.
Can you imagine the shame in cricket if all fielders wore gloves on their non throwing hand to protect their pinkies.
taxation without representation was an issue before there was a union. There is a union now to pay taxes to that will give you a voice and provide for you general protection and freedom of US citizens/permanent residents.

I agree with that statement. If your not a citizen/permenant resident, why are you paying taxes anyway? (sales tax and the like is the exception, you can't expect every tourist why buys something to get a voice in congress).

And please do not compare baseball to the tragedy cricket. OMG Australian sports fml (AFL, NRL, CRICKET) yawn fest.

BASEBALL/NFL that's amazing.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:30 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,295,167 times
[quote=iCostas91;23816902]taxation without representation was an issue before there was a union. There is a union now to pay taxes to that will give you a voice and provide for you general protection and freedom of US citizens/permanent residents.

I agree with that statement. If your not a citizen/permenant resident, why are you paying taxes anyway? (sales tax and the like is the exception, you can't expect every tourist why buys something to get a voice in congress).

And please do not compare baseball to the tragedy cricket. OMG Australian sports fml (AFL, NRL, CRICKET) yawn fest.

BASEBALL/NFL that's amazing.[/quote]

Omg- Yawn Fest

Old 04-11-2012, 04:39 PM

1,508 posts, read 869,165 times
When you say move, I assume that you mean permanent residency.
However, there are plenty of Aussies that would love to go for 12 months or 2 years, but it is too difficult for them to get in - compared to say Canada or the UK.
Personally, I have probably ""missed the boat"" as far as getting in for a short term period - and don't plan on doing postgraduate studies etc - which is how some others I know have got in. (In one case the guy married an American, so became a permanent resident).
I couldn't care less about baseball and not being able to watch cricket, for most people it is the chance to experience another culture - without having to learn a new language.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,011,139 times
Quote:
taxation without representation was an issue before there was a union. There is a union now to pay taxes to that will give you a voice and provide for you general protection and freedom of US citizens/permanent residents.

BASEBALL/NFL that's amazing.
Now a game of half and half of Baseball and Cricket would be interesting between a Pro Baseball team and Pro Cricket.
I have a suspicion the Cricket team would win because most of them who played also played some Softball.
A Baseballer trying to face up to Warne with him jamming the ball in from the leg side, they would be confused.

Shane Warne - Biggest turning ball of all time - YouTube

Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 1,288,605 times
Quote:
1. Four distinct seasons
4. Boston RedSox
What does "Town hall style government" mean? It's been my observation that US politics is very much in the gutter in every possible way. I'm not sure it's something that any country should strive for. It's dominated by who has the biggest chequebook and who is willing to give the most in return for campaign donations.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM

1,911 posts, read 1,288,605 times
Quote:
Permanent residents don't have a right to vote, except in local elections.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 722,729 times
Quote:
Dear jandur, the answer to that question is too complex however I can provide a short answer.
Life is good, it's beautiful. I want an already good life to get better.
You are buying into the fantasy Hollywood sells to the rest of the world. Our unemployment is high, along with our cost of living. This country is a "Dog Eat, Dog World Country". Our crime is high; We have had the highest percentage of our population in jail than any other country in the free world. For those who have been to Australia from the U.S., the opinion is...that your country could very well be, the more desirable. --However, for those that are rich, and have lots of money....yes, life could get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand