U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM

24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times

Advertisements

Work Canada - IEP Australia - Canadian Working Holidays for Australians

Specifically the ski-programme. Sent in my application, spoke to the guy on the phone yesterday who answered most of my questions, now debating whether to pay the $695 programme cost. Almost guaranteed job offer/placement in one of the ski resort areas, if not your money back. Anyone done this or know anyone who has? Or any advice about doing a working hol overseas in general? That'd be ace, thanks all. I feel it might be just the thing for me at this stage in my life, wanna do as much of this before I'm 30 (due to stipulations in the programme).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 PM

4,632 posts, read 1,679,157 times
Whenever I go skiing to the rocky mountains, tons of Australians working there... plus many other nationalities.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:58 AM

9,713 posts, read 12,286,651 times
I worked with around a thousand Aussies and kiwis on working holiday type visas over 7 years in ski areas. I also worked a bit with the recruiting/training side after a while with new hires.

I can't speak to Canada specifically myself, but in my experience I don't recall anyone having any major issues with IEP/BUNAC, while people did have some issues with other companies. Some of the people worked with us that had been working in Canada before and many enjoyed Whistler Blackcomb. Also you don't have to restrict yourself to jobs IEP puts up.

I'd also recommend going to one of the job fairs in Australia if possible. Additionally try to ask around about potential employers by talking to former employees if possible.

Getting a job for ski season should not be a problem.

My recommendation is that you go for an employer that is used to using foreign staff and as such has employee housing. For your first season, employee housing is the best as you don't have to worry about furnishings and other issues and you merely get rent taken out of your paycheck.

Other recommendations:

1. I believe IEP requires travel insurance, make sure you have it. There were always a few people every season that broke a leg on the ski hill or had something stolen or lost or someone died back home and they had to change their ticket.
2. Travel light. If you are moving into employee housing likely you'll have just about everything you need except for things like linens, a few dishes, etc which you can source cheaply at a place like Wal Mart or similar box store.
3. Have some money in your bank account back home and have access to some funds to get you started as it is usually a few weeks before you get a paycheck. I'd also have a credit card for emergencies.
4. Plan ahead for the end of ski season, because it is always amazing how quickly everything will wind down, so have some money saved to tide you over until your next job, your travels or heading back home. I'd also take note if an end of season bonus is on offer. 10% of your seasons wages is common.

Personally I would highly recommend the experience. Most aussies that worked over here felt it was a good experience living in a ski town and the age of 30 creeps up on you sooner than you think.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 AM

24,693 posts, read 19,006,430 times
Thanks Wanneroo.

Yes insurance and stuff can be organized through them. I don't intend to anything aside from clothes, and perhaps my guitar, phone, ipod, kindle. Don't see the point in bringing anything else.

I don't expect to earn much to travel afterwards, so travel will be mainly short trips.

I'm aiming for BC, Alberta, but it may come down to where the jobs are. If it works out I'll keep you all posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand