Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL
Ha! No, I'm actually in Afghanistan even though Alabama is my home. I get a plane ticket to Dubai or Delhi, and from there it is up to me.
I had a contract job in Af. No fun. I just got back a few weeks back from Abu Dhabi. Go to Dubai and stay there for a few days and get some indoor skiing done (it'll give you time to get your sense of smell back). Much better than Delhi. Each time I get sent to India, I try to stay as little as possible. If you're stilling flipping the coin go to New Zealand instead of Australia.

Quote:
I think I found a 20 hour direct or one stop flight to Sydney from Dubai the other day. Does anyone know of any ways to get there quickly that the big travel sites don't have listed?
Fly with Emirates the flight is about 14 hours. 19 hour flight to NZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I had a contract job in Af. No fun. I just got back a few weeks back from Abu Dhabi. Go to Dubai and stay there for a few days and get some indoor skiing done (it'll give you time to get your sense of smell back). Much better than Delhi. Each time I get sent to India, I try to stay as little as possible. If you're stilling flipping the coin go to New Zealand instead of Australia.

Fly with Emirates the flight is about 14 hours. 19 hour flight to NZ.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I am really loving it here. The money is nice, and this is the most vacation time I have had since I was in high school. Dubai is great, but it is not for everyone. Luckily for me I rather like that the city is completely fake and is all about money. It's a bit like a better version of Disneyland with no admission fee in that respect.

Delhi's only an option because it is closer to my target so I figured cheaper and shorter flights. I really hate the long flights. Right now it looks like I'll be stopping in Singapore for a few days and then proceeding to the main event in Australia or New Zealand. That seems to give me the best combination of price and shorter flights.

I think the people in New Zealand might be more my speed, but Australia offers more to do plus if I go to Perth maybe I can get a feel about what kind of chance I might have at getting a job in the mines for a year or two after Afghanistan is played out. It is real close right now though, and I need to do more research.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.
The real reason we go there is as you quoted.

Quote:
The money is nice
When you get further along, you'll start taking business class flights on Emirates. Flying on transports gets old quick as you get older. Australia is nice but expensive. It felt cramped due to too many people. NZ is more layed back. I'd say fly the other way, but with Arab Spring over the past year its taken the fun out of it. You would like Lebanon or Morocco.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Bunny hop to Asia.

The flight from Hong Kong to Sydney is only 9 hours...I ADORE HK, it's a must see in my book.

Bear in mind that about 7 of those hours, you're still over Australia...its a MASSIVE place.
Yes oz is massive but 7 of the 9 hours are NOT over Oz.
Manila to HK alone is 1:30.

Please look at a world map and correct the flight time over Oz you misquoted.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 PM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
Jet Airways to Kuala Lumpur is like $350

Then hop on Air Asia. Right now Air Asia is running a series of deals from KL to places in Australia. For instance KL to Gold Coast is $65 one way(I believe for the month of June only). Check their Facebook page. They post new deals usually every Friday.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 PM

327 posts, read 644,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I am really loving it here. The money is nice, and this is the most vacation time I have had since I was in high school. Dubai is great, but it is not for everyone. Luckily for me I rather like that the city is completely fake and is all about money. It's a bit like a better version of Disneyland with no admission fee in that respect.

Delhi's only an option because it is closer to my target so I figured cheaper and shorter flights. I really hate the long flights. Right now it looks like I'll be stopping in Singapore for a few days and then proceeding to the main event in Australia or New Zealand. That seems to give me the best combination of price and shorter flights.

I think the people in New Zealand might be more my speed, but Australia offers more to do plus if I go to Perth maybe I can get a feel about what kind of chance I might have at getting a job in the mines for a year or two after Afghanistan is played out. It is real close right now though, and I need to do more research.
Yea the vacation time here in AF is fantastic. I get basically 3 months of vacation time a year. Can't beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand