Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Best would be Whitlam. Free university education, dismantling the White Australia Policy, welfare - sure he was a lefty, but in a way he, along with Frasier I do admit, sort of created modern Australia.

Worst in my time and possibly for all time has to be Julia Gillard. Totally out of it.
Of recent PM's, Rudd was okay, Howard was good until the end, although there were a few things I didn't like about him. Keating and Hawke, didn't do much good for the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM

22 posts, read 26,496 times
Whitlam the best? lol. He was a failure and nothing good came from dismantling the 'White Australia Policy'. Welfare + third world immigration = disaster. "Modern" Australia will become a third world at this rate. There are no good politicians in Australia, at least not in recent times.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
Whitlam for me would have to be up there, he seemed to have an intelligent and inspiring manner to him and I think his greatest achievement for me was the introduction of universal healthcare (Medicare). I don't know much about Menzies, but his sheer longevity as PM would certainly have him up there in the 'greatest PM' stakes, I've also heard John Curtin talked about as a great wartime leader but again I don't know a whole lot about him.

Julia 'PR disaster' Gillard would have to be close to the worst, she's just uninspiring and robotic, she's clearly risen above her station. Federal Labor hasn't really had any strong leaders since Keating was booted out imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef18 View Post
Whitlam the best? lol. He was a failure and nothing good came from dismantling the 'White Australia Policy'. Welfare + third world immigration = disaster. "Modern" Australia will become a third world at this rate. There are no good politicians in Australia, at least not in recent times.
Where exactly is the evidence we are becoming a third world country due to immigration? Or are foreign faces just a bit freaky for you?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Best would be Whitlam. Free university education, dismantling the White Australia Policy, welfare - sure he was a lefty, but in a way he, along with Frasier I do admit, sort of created modern Australia.

Worst in my time and possibly for all time has to be Julia Gillard. Totally out of it.
Of recent PM's, Rudd was okay, Howard was good until the end, although there were a few things I didn't like about him. Keating and Hawke, didn't do much good for the economy.
Actually it was the Snedden government which dismantled the White Australia policy, one the many things that the Whitlam government took credit for but did not actually implement. Although Medicare and indoctrinated welfare looks good but it still isn't great. I would probably have to say Gorton was the best of the lot and McMahon the worst.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,587,584 times
^^Snedden was never PM...I assume you mean the Fraser government?

A fair amount of the 'White Australia Policy' was also abandoned in the conservative governments before Whitlam. I think it is fair to give Whitlam credit for totally dismantling it, by removing racial factors as a criteria for migration.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Whitlam was the smartest guy in the room, but pretty lame as a PM and was not a success.

The fact Gillard is PM is mind boggling. She's like a headless chicken.

I think John Howard is one of the best.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post

Where exactly is the evidence we are becoming a third world country due to immigration? Or are foreign faces just a bit freaky for you?
Just go to western/south west sydney and see what a hole these areas are. Non-western (European) immigration is lowering living standards here and turning Anglos into a minority. It is not the only reason but it is a big one.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
^^Snedden was never PM...I assume you mean the Fraser government?

A fair amount of the 'White Australia Policy' was also abandoned in the conservative governments before Whitlam. I think it is fair to give Whitlam credit for totally dismantling it, by removing racial factors as a criteria for migration.
And thus paving the way for turning us into a colony of asia (making way for an asia-pacific union). Whitlam and all other traitors like him should be hung.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Whitlam was the smartest guy in the room, but pretty lame as a PM and was not a success.

The fact Gillard is PM is mind boggling. She's like a headless chicken.

I think John Howard is one of the best.
i lived in oz for a while when howard was pm , i realise john howard oversaw the begining of australias longest economic boom but the man was insufferabley old country , he was like a carricature of some eighteenth centry viceroy who queen victoria might dispatch to some unruly part of the empire , nothing against someone being a monarchist but howard brought new meaning to that antipodean line " where england leads , we follow "

Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef18 View Post
And thus paving the way for turning us into a colony of asia (making way for an asia-pacific union). Whitlam and all other traitors like him should be hung.
what region of the world do you think is driving your boom , it aint the old country , australias future ( and its a very bright one IMO ) lies as part of a greater asia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand