U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,214,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
To those who have been to both countries, do you notice a difference in standard of living, do Australians live in better housing, drive better cars etc.?
New Zealand is a beautiful dump. Imagine a middle/lower income US city in a pristine part of the world.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM

17,760 posts, read 7,605,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
All the extra income comes from the Australian mining sector, none of it is because Australian management run more productive work practices than NZ.
Australia does have one problem with it's mining sector, China developing mines in Mongolia which could when developed replace Australian Iron ore and Coal, now a lot in the mining sector believe Japan would stay with Aussie ore no matter what, they are having pipe dreams.

A better standard of living, hmm, that average Aussie income will not buy you a house on the North Shore of Sydney, it may just be enough to pay a mortgage in Sydney's bogan (redneck) areas but that would be doubtful without two average incomes.

Too many kiwis sadly believe the streets of Australia are paved with gold for the picking, it is a pity more do not stay home and develop an export business, but they do not want to put in the hard graft needed.
Many believe they are owed a great income from being a wage slave.
You know, you sound a lot like Puerto Ricans that move away from Puerto Rico and into the US and use the US as one big university or job market, then complain that too many educated Puerto Ricans are moving away from the island!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
are you moving back to NZ to start an export business, even you keft for Oz.
My thoughts exactly when I read his post There's actually a lot of parallels between Kiwis and Puerto Ricans (although we're a territory of the US but we all are American citizens). Both of our people come from islands with lackluster economies, and move to the bigger brother further north to get a job or education. Would I return to Puerto Rico? Maybe in the future, but not now.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 05-14-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM

6,441 posts, read 2,762,642 times
People need to work smarter and save more. The old adage of - a penny saved is a penny earned- has fallen into disuse.

For those leaving for lifestyle, career, climate etc- good luck.

For those who leave because they think the country is screwed- good riddance losers.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Status: "she's a cray cray colonial chica" (set 2 days ago)

9,070 posts, read 11,542,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My thoughts exactly when I read his post There's actually a lot of parallels between Kiwis and Puerto Ricans (although we're a territory of the US but we all are American citizens). Both of our people come from islands with lackluster economies, and move to the bigger brother further north to get a job or education. Would I return to Puerto Rico? Maybe in the future, but not now.
First time ive seen kiwis compated to boricuas.. Maybe i should open a mofongo restsurant in auckland and see ifthey adapt to it

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,214,450 times
Quote:
All the extra income comes from the Australian mining sector, none of it is because Australian management run more productive work practices than NZ.
No. Mining accounts for 10% of Australia's GDP. Some simple back of the envelope maths will tell you that doesn't go very far in explaining the difference.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
First time ive seen kiwis compated to boricuas.. Maybe i should open a mofongo restsurant in auckland and see ifthey adapt to it
People from Puerto Rico do the same as kiwis. Kiwis have the right to live in Australia, apparantly, same as we do (we just don't need a visa on arrival for it), more people move out of those 2 places than move in and newcomers don't stay too long, etc. But that's where the similarities end, IMO

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Status: "she's a cray cray colonial chica" (set 2 days ago)

9,070 posts, read 11,542,660 times
Quote:
They need to harden up, NZ is a earthquake country.
Does this mean all kiwis in Oz have gotten soft? This could be why you havent moved back to your beloved country.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,731,928 times
I'd be more than happy to move to NZ if Canadians were given visa free access
It definitely looks like a pristine and beautiful part of the world. I wonder if NZ and Aus opened its borders to Canadians.. how many Canadians would actually leave Canada and move to the antipodes?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM

255 posts, read 192,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
thier is no other way of saying it , new zealand is quite poor compared to australia , i used to think it was similar to ireland and the uk some years ago but the difference between ireland and the uk is much narrower
Didn't Ireland go from being the Celtic tiger to a basket case?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I'd be more than happy to move to NZ if Canadians were given visa free access
It definitely looks like a pristine and beautiful part of the world. I wonder if NZ and Aus opened its borders to Canadians.. how many Canadians would actually leave Canada and move to the antipodes?
I would say equal to or less than the amount of Brits that move to NZ/AU. I don't think Canadians complain about the weather nearly as much as Brits do, and only a million or so Brits live in Australia, with another million or so in Spain, so I don't see millions of Canadians moving en masse to Australia. Maybe a couple hundred thousand at most, mostly retired folks that want to look for something more permanent than wintering in Florida or Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.