Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 12:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well you have to be able to help yourself before helping other people and for starters I don't consider NZ a charity case.

Certainly there are people like yourself who do stay and that's great, but you can't rain on the parade of those who leave either. And many of those who leave do come back anyways. I empathize with my kiwi friends because here in the USA, if I want a total change of job, weather, culture, etc, I just move to some state across the country, no problem. And it's not that easy for kiwis.
I don't consider NZ a charity case either. You can help yourself in this country, but a lot of people will never help others no matter how much they have got.

People who leave for career, lifestyle, or with some plan and intend to return are one group in my opinion. I think there is also a large group driven by negativity and a sense that the country owes them more. I think they rain more on my parade than vice-versa.

Australia does offer that option for a far bigger choice, and quite easily at that. Certainly not to the extent of the US though.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
I went back to NZ and started a business which my two nephews now run.
But yes the young who bludge on NZ for an education then take off makes one wonder if we should not bond all University /Poly graduates whom have cost we tax payers a lot.
Give the young a choice,be bonded or pay full overseas rates for your education.
I dislike the arrogance of too many of the young when they say they are owed an education at taxpayer cost.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:15 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I went back to NZ and started a business which my two nephews now run.
But yes the young who bludge on NZ for an education then take off makes one wonder if we should not bond all University /Poly graduates whom have cost we tax payers a lot.
Give the young a choice,be bonded or pay full overseas rates for your education.
I dislike the arrogance of too many of the young when they say they are owed an education at taxpayer cost.
Im shocked. Isnt NZ worth the sacrifice of giving up a life in Oz? Its not your own business if you gave it away.

Toughen up, like you like to tell people, and move home. So many posts on how superior NZ yet yiu dont back it up by moving home.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Of course he's not going to move back to NZ. He knows which side his bread is buttered on

Wax lyrical all you want to about NZ nzrugby, the fact of the matter is you are a hypocrite, making good use of Australia's higher standard of living yet berating me because I like the standard of living in the US.

Big fat hypocrite who doesn't know what he's yabbering on about.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM

264 posts, read 907,679 times
[quote=irish_bob;24413217][quote=corsa71;24410815]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

their is an irish sports journalist named declan lynch who is a huge soccer fan and not so much of a rugby fan , he has written some very humorous articles about both sports , the essence of his theory is that in his words " rugby doesnt matter " , the passion among fans of soccer is so fierce , the fans need to be kept apart by barbed wire and armed police in some cases , rugby fans ( usually doctors and barristers ) drink together before and after the match and when all is said and done seem happy to merley be there , who wins seems relativley unimportant , the exclusivity is whats important , i realise that doesnt apply in new zealand but such a view rings true to quite a degree in england , ireland , scotland and even australia

whenever the european championships or world cup rolls around and ireland has qualified ,the country comes to a standstill , people finish work early to see the matches and the homecoming is a huge event , while rugby victorys are acknowledged , the level of feeling it produces pales into comparison with that

of soccer , personally speaking , i have cried at soccer world cups , rugby gives

rise to a mere shrug

Rugby is the greatest sport in the world. Nothing like it. Rugby teaches how to live life. If you lose you don't throw a temper tanturm. You regroup and try again. No riots in rugby.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
[quote=runnerguy45;24588972][quote=irish_bob;24413217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post

Rugby is the greatest sport in the world. Nothing like it. Rugby teaches how to live life. If you lose you don't throw a temper tanturm. You regroup and try again. No riots in rugby.

if a sport is mainly about learning how to live life , its not much of a sport at all

some might say the army teaches you how to live life , i can see merit in such a view

as it happens , i enjoy a game of rugby thee odd time , i would not have a bad word to say about it if the rugby crowd ( not just in NZ btw ) didnt feel the need to take pot shots at other sports , in ireland its not just soccer they make jibes towards , they call our national sports bogball and stickball - gaelic football and hurling , gaelic football players tend to be from the countryside , hence the bog

Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
[quote=runnerguy45;24588972][quote=irish_bob;24413217]
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post

Well no not among the crowd, but some games used to be a running battle.
And some refs have no sense of humour, one sent four of us off for a minor tiff with only a couple of teeth lost.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 AM

264 posts, read 907,679 times
I wish I could watch the upcoming test match on TV here in the States.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,202 times
Wait, Mr Key didn't magically fix everything as advertised?

Shocking... lol.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Of course he's not going to move back to NZ. He knows which side his bread is buttered on

Wax lyrical all you want to about NZ nzrugby, the fact of the matter is you are a hypocrite, making good use of Australia's higher standard of living yet berating me because I like the standard of living in the US.

Big fat hypocrite who doesn't know what he's yabbering on about.
The truth must hurt as a rebuttal has not been provided
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand