U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 PM

579 posts, read 377,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Every time one turns around a member of the royal family is in the USA, it seems a lot of Americans are confused in wanting the old enemy in their country.
And what on earth is this bloke doing saluting Harry when he has no head gear on and cannot return it ?
Prince Harry At West Point: Target Practice, Helicopters, Bonding With Cadets (PHOTOS)

What, more Royals in California, are you sure you Americans are not missing having a Monarch ?
But doubtful if HM would want the USA back, she would not fancy Kansas.
Royals waving to loyal American subjects

Will & Kate Headline BAFTA 'Brits To Watch' Event (PHOTOS)
nzrugby, I think I speak for a large number (if not the outright majority) of posters here when I say......you are, undoubtedly, one of the most annoying, childish/immature, and asinine posters around. Please, do the world a service and pull your lip over your head and swallow it. Have a wonderful day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,352,279 times
My folks are up in Brisbane, and last night we were talking about the diamond Jubillee. Apparently during the recent celebrations they all got up and sung God Save the Queen during parliment, and Gillard refused to open her mouth.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,352,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are Australians really serious about that though? I've always heard it was just joking.
I have a good friend lives here now but moved from Liverpool to Sydney. He loved Australia and always said it was just just **** taking. He did say however that he voted to keep the Monarchy at the last referendum cause he didn't want Britain to lose a special connection with Australia.
Aussies do that sort of stuff to people all over the world and 99% of the time it just joking. Unfortunatly a small minority of people interpret is as racism, and its their voices that are heard loudest.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-21-2012 at 06:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 PM

5,574 posts, read 2,633,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
My folks are up in Brisbane, and last night we were talking about the diamond Jubillee. Apparently during the recent celebrations they all got up and sung God Save the Queen during parliment, and Gillard refused to open her mouth.

Looks like support for a republic in Australia is dying. Looks like she may reign over you guys for a lot longer.

Well may we not sing God Save the Queen, but let it play on | smh.com.au

Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 AM

4,784 posts, read 2,827,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
nzrugby, I think I speak for a large number (if not the outright majority) of posters here when I say......you are, undoubtedly, one of the most annoying, childish/immature, and asinine posters around. Please, do the world a service and pull your lip over your head and swallow it. Have a wonderful day

post of the day

Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM

454 posts, read 231,831 times
I do hope australia does become a republic someday and serves as an example of a country successfully doing so. I hope it would give canada some motivation to move on from the royals itself.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM

4,784 posts, read 2,827,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Aussies do that sort of stuff to people all over the world and 99% of the time it just joking. Unfortunatly a small minority of people interpret is as racism, and its their voices that are heard loudest.
the best way to judge whether an aussie likes you is to see how much good natured abuse they heap upon you

Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM

487 posts, read 281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One thing you don't have in Canada compared to Australia is the whole hate related to the "pom" or "bloody pom" insult. People from England or Britain in general are not an issue in Canada and I've almost never heard people say negative things about them. Whereas in Australia, well... you know.

Strangely enough, there is almost a direct equivalent to the Australian "pom" thingy in Quebec with people from France. The historical term is "maudit français" (damned Frenchman).
That is true because unlike Australians Canadians havent historicaly been the victim of british condecention and even discrimination.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM

487 posts, read 281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Looks like support for a republic in Australia is dying. Looks like she may reign over you guys for a lot longer.

Well may we not sing God Save the Queen, but let it play on | smh.com.au
I'm not surprised they sang god save the queen, I don't hate the queen she's a nice lady and she does her job very well and I suppose she does deserve some congratulations for that especially considering she probably doesnt have much longer to live but her job is still unnecessary and unneeded for Australia.

Even John Howard has said Australia will become a Republic after the Queen dies, but I think it would be a shame if the Queen didn't live long enough the see Australia become a Republic because it would be a huge world history making moment I'm sure she would love to live to see that.

Australia will become a Republic it's just a matter of whether it's sooner or later, I hope sooner and Julia Gillard was right in not singing it would have looked very unbecoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand