Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,595,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
then we get the instances of what happened yesterday. Thats why I want the boats to stop. Its illegal, its risky.

Asylum Boat Capsizes Near Christmas Island | Dozens Feared Dead
Exactly. If you let some people do it, everyone will do it and the problem will only get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 AM

790 posts, read 1,728,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Decent bloke Malcolm Fraser, and how right he is about the evilness of Abbott's plans for any future boat people.
It would not surprise me to see Abbott as PM ordering the Aus navy to use fifty cals on boats full of refugees, no,Labor is no better, go out to West Sydney and ask White West Sydney types how many boat people got into Australia last year, do not be surprised if a lot say at least 100,000.

Locking people up in concentration camps because of their colour, reminds one of the loyal US Japanese during WW2.
people aren't locked up because of their colour. They are locked up because they are undocumented. Hundreds of thousands of "coloured people" arrive in Australia through common immigration means each year and aren't locked up. People like yourself are the reason this whole discussion cannot be civil. You make these stupid accusations and then have the audacity to mock "White West Sydney types" for not knowing anything about the issue.

Quote:
Yet, people rant about boat people while Europeans arrive on a holiday with a lot staying on as over stayers and when some are caught they will argue they are White and English speaking and therefore should have automatic entry as permanent residents.
This is ridiculous. Asylum seekers and people who overstay their visas are entirely different categories. You are trying to force a connection. You even throw in that no one complains about Europeans that overstay their visa insinuating a racial connection yet neglect to mention that no one complains about the non-europeans that overstay their visas, either.

Try facing the fact that the current system is broken.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM

2,933 posts, read 4,093,133 times
Now that things have gotten a lot worse I'm wondering what other people think.

Personally, I think it's pretty ridiculous. In the 90s there were a few million people living in the US illegally and the government offered them amnesty and a path to citizenship. What happened? Over the next 20 years millions more followed so that there are now +13 million people living in the US illegally . . . and this is after up to 2 million left the country after the GFC.

To hear about people flying from Tehran to Jakarta then hopping on a boat to Australia as opposed to taking a bus to Turkey, Armenia, Georgia or Azerbaijan and applying for asylum status in any number of countries . . . well, they don't because they have no asylum case and it's a slap in the face to anyone who has gone the legal route.

I'm all for helping out people who are in real danger but things are really backwards when someone with no asylum case, no money and no credentials gets let in and starts collecting centrelink payments but people who have jobs here, understand the culture, have advanced degrees, and paid the gov't a few thousand $ for the privilege get sent packing.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,569,414 times
Just wait until the USA elects some Right Wing Religious tyrant that establishes a white christian theocracy. Then you will see some immigration pressure.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,914,128 times
If you happen to be an exceptional sports person you will have no difficulty in being processed immediately.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,048,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Now that things have gotten a lot worse I'm wondering what other people think.

Personally, I think it's pretty ridiculous. In the 90s there were a few million people living in the US illegally and the government offered them amnesty and a path to citizenship. What happened? Over the next 20 years millions more followed so that there are now +13 million people living in the US illegally . . . and this is after up to 2 million left the country after the GFC.

To hear about people flying from Tehran to Jakarta then hopping on a boat to Australia as opposed to taking a bus to Turkey, Armenia, Georgia or Azerbaijan and applying for asylum status in any number of countries . . . well, they don't because they have no asylum case and it's a slap in the face to anyone who has gone the legal route.

I'm all for helping out people who are in real danger but things are really backwards when someone with no asylum case, no money and no credentials gets let in and starts collecting centrelink payments but people who have jobs here, understand the culture, have advanced degrees, and paid the gov't a few thousand $ for the privilege get sent packing.
I think there are genuine asylum cases mixed in with those who may not be in real danger in their home country.

...who with no asylum case, are able to start collecting centrelink payments? and who are these people with advanced degrees, and are getting sent packing?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,826,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So, I have a hard time understanding why the law should apply one way to people of a certain nationality or any other demographic you might come up with and then the law should apply differently to those that come from certain places and those people get a free pass and don't follow the law and the established process everyone else has to go through.

I've got a huge collection of "Border Security" episodes. At least from that it appears to me nationalities or race or religion makes no difference. If you violated your visa rules or failed to disclose required information or showed an attempt using deception to evade the law, then you get sent home by the immigration authorities. Which is as it should be.

If the law doesn't apply evenly to everyone, then why have a law or legal system?
Err...coming to Australia in order to claim asylum is not illegal, nor does one require a visa to do so. There's nothing illegal about what boat people are doing.

As a general point, in an advanced economy like Australia, I think our ability to cope with large amounts of unskilled labour is pretty low. Most factory fodder type jobs that used to be the domain of recent immigrants are now in Asia. I don't think we should be accepting any above our normal quota.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,955,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Err...coming to Australia in order to claim asylum is not illegal, nor does one require a visa to do so. There's nothing illegal about what boat people are doing.

As a general point, in an advanced economy like Australia, I think our ability to cope with large amounts of unskilled labour is pretty low. Most factory fodder type jobs that used to be the domain of recent immigrants are now in Asia. I don't think we should be accepting any above our normal quota.
Maybe they should be applying this same principle to Kiwis and UK immigrants as well.
The majority of Poms in Perth and Kiwis on places like the Goldie are hardly Harvard graduates.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,938,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Maybe they should be applying this same principle to Kiwis and UK immigrants as well.
The majority of Poms in Perth and Kiwis on places like the Goldie are hardly Harvard graduates.

That would hurt the Aus economy, the GC is a stereotypical poster child. Should add most Aussies are hardly Harvard graduates

Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,955,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
That would hurt the Aus economy, the GC is a stereotypical poster child. Should add most Aussies are hardly Harvard graduates
Yes but we are talking about the quality of immigrants here, and what skills and education they bring.
My point is many UK and Kiwi migrants that have been allowed here very liberally in the last 30 years,. are no more skilled than the boat people, with the exception that they are English speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand