Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
KRudd upped the ante. Huge announcement on refugees.

None to be settled in Aus. PNG as close as they'll get. Wow
Surprised at this tactic.
They've been signalling a major change of thinking for a few weeks now: Economic migrants coming by boat: Carr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
They've been signalling a major change of thinking for a few weeks now: Economic migrants coming by boat: Carr
Yes, know some people who work for immigration and they've mentioned economic refugees being a huge issue

According to news reports there is rioting in Nauru and centre staff have been taken hostage, possibly in response to this report

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Something had to be done to deter people coming on boats. The numbers have been increasing for the last couple of years along with the number of people dying. If something wasn't done Australia has no way to control the borders. Australia takes a fair share of refugees. They take the highest amount per capita than any other country in the world. Australia will continue to take refugees but not those arriving in boats. It is a good move in my opinion. Refugees are looking for a safe country so it shouldn't matter where they are settled.

It should be interesting to see what effect this has on the boat arrivals.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Something had to be done to deter people coming on boats. The numbers have been increasing for the last couple of years along with the number of people dying. If something wasn't done Australia has no way to control the borders. Australia takes a fair share of refugees. They take the highest amount per capita than any other country in the world. Australia will continue to take refugees but not those arriving in boats. It is a good move in my opinion. Refugees are looking for a safe country so it shouldn't matter where they are settled.

It should be interesting to see what effect this has on the boat arrivals.
I think part of the issue is, PNG aint a safe country.

The amount of economic "refugees" from countries like Sri Lanka have increased the number of boats. I do feel sympathy for those genuine refugees escaping violence and persecution, and have no issue if they arrive by boat (other than its unsafe for them, and those opportunistic slime who profit off this trade). But people who are coming here because they are poor... I do not think that Australia has to take them.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:59 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,578 times
Rid Christmas Island from the Commonwealth. After all, the great British Empire is long dead, and it's only a stone throw from Indonesia, so let them stick a flag in the ground and call it theirs -- no longer our problem!

With the amount of money being poured into lost causes Internationally, coupled with jobs continually being lost here to off shore interests by the Corporations, how long can this or any other government continue paying out for Christmas Island, Nauru, goodness know how much now will go to PNG Government to support refugee management there, and unemployment and pensions in little ol' Australia before it goes totally broke -- what then?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Not sure why it is such a hot political issue.
Most asylum seekers will be granted entry, I don't have a problem with that.
Christmas Island? Asking a country to give up a territory is like asking a kid for their birthday presents back - it won't happen.
Tony Abbott has offered nothing more on the subject, other than " we will do as we have always done " - well that was some 6 years ago now that Liberal were in government.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I think part of the issue is, PNG aint a safe country.

The amount of economic "refugees" from countries like Sri Lanka have increased the number of boats. I do feel sympathy for those genuine refugees escaping violence and persecution, and have no issue if they arrive by boat (other than its unsafe for them, and those opportunistic slime who profit off this trade). But people who are coming here because they are poor... I do not think that Australia has to take them.
No its not, I wonder how long it will take before freshly settled PNG refugees start fleeing across the 5 or so km of ocean that Separates mainland PNG from the North Most Australian Controlled Island in the Torres Strait?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Ive never figured out why aussies are so worried about a couple of boat people, and completly agree with everything you say. We need a Malcom Fraser type in charge of the libs right now, Abbot is scary, and will never get his policy through when the greens contol the senate.

Funny enough, my wife is very anti boat people, she got hear the correct way, initally enrolling as an international student, all up including upfront university fees, english test fees, visa application fees etc etc, it takes 6 years and costs over $90,000 to get Australian PR visa that way. So I can see her point of view
Well if your boat people are anything like our border people they breed like rabbits and continue the cycle of poverty.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Well if your boat people are anything like our border people they breed like rabbits and continue the cycle of poverty.
That post is a year old and I would be the first person to admit that headlines like these are far too common these days, here is two from last week alone.

BBC News - Three dead after Australia-bound asylum boat sinks

BBC News - Migrant boat capsizes off Australia's Christmas Island

It was not that long ago when this might have occurred once a year.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
If you have a house - you are fully entitled to restrict entry into your home...what's wrong with you people? Have you lost your survival instincts- You can afford the luxury of progressive liberalism now- but there are limits...if you do not regain control of your own turf...you will be internally displaced...and YOU will suffer poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand