Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 AM

19 posts, read 43,548 times

Advertisements

While most would agree that Australia is rather a laid back nation who can be identified by certain characteristics, we still draw upon other (mostly Western) cultures to build up our own (hello white Christmas traditions in the middle of a smouldering summer).

The Australian population is mostly around the coastal areas, and it is in these high density areas that women, in my opinion, differ greatly from those further out West.

Why? Because city women have more funds, exposure and access to everything than anyone east of the Great Divide.
When I visit my sister in Melbourne, I have started to notice the variation in people’s accents and vernacular. They appear to be more Americanised and less ‘Australian’. It is also evident when walking down the street that women keep up with the latest fashion and technology fads, which is not often seen in a rural town in Western NSW (I am a Mid/Central West NSW girl myself).

With the whole ‘which is bitchier’ element, I am going to have to say that that is a common aspect (to some degree) of women everywhere, especially when they are in a large group. Some women are more astute in keeping themselves in check, others will let loose whenever and wherever they deemed necessary.

In saying all of this, as a high school teacher, I have also noticed that teenager girls and young women are much more materialistic and more concerned with technology, being accepted and having an overly social lifestyle, than they are with more rudimentary aspects of life, like acting your age. But then again I suppose that is part of the whole growing up process…

I cannot say much about American women as I haven’t spent a great deal of time over there (2 months being the longest and that was travelling to one side to the other rather quickly). I can say that while over there, I did notice that women from Northern California, random places through the middle states and down south, were much more welcoming and cheerful that some of the other places we ventured to. I especially remember one lady in Arizona who was rather concerned that three young women were travelling across the States by themselves and gave us a list of all the places to avoid, just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
^ Good summary Eliza. Yes you can even hear it in their accents, the accents of many young kids under the age of about 21 can grate on me. As if teens don't annoy me enough.

Yeah I think that's why I sometimes don't feel comfortable in a large group of women...

Yes in the US for instance one lady in San Diego actually asked me if I was lost and needed help, I can't remember the last time this has happened here, or if indeed if it's ever happened.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 AM

I also think the observations that Aussie women are actually more reserved on average and less extroverted and 'cheerful' than American women do seem to go against the stereotypes Americans have of Australians (based on people who are often on HOLIDAY and tend to be more extroverted and adventurous than the general populace) but definitely have a ring of truth to it.

My experience is culturally Australians in general are closer to the reserved British than Americans, who have more of a pre-occupation with having a smile (fake or not) on your face and greeting you with a 'hi friend' or something like that lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Australian women are more feminine. American women are raised to be men and compete in the market place.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Australian women are more feminine. American women are raised to be men and compete in the market place.
Lol I always hear how un-ladylike Aussie sheilas are, curious that you hold the opposite opinion.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This is definitely NOT true in my experience. Although Australian women care about their appearance... after moving here I realized how much *extra* attention I needed to pay to my appearance (fake nails, fake eyelashes, weekly pedicures, fortnightly hair salon appointments, etc).

That aside, I've found Americans in general more accepting of stereotypical male-female roles, especially in the South. Whereas few of my female friends cooked or accepted traditional feminine roles in Australia, it's "the norm" for women to care about cooking, decorating, etc over here, to a greater extent than it is in Australia.

Even in the Midwest, although it's not as profound as in the South, I would definitely say American women are far more feminine and 'girly' no matter what way you slice it.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
This is definitely NOT true in my experience. Although Australian women care about their appearance... after moving here I realized how much *extra* attention I needed to pay to my appearance (fake nails, fake eyelashes, weekly pedicures, fortnightly hair salon appointments, etc).

That aside, I've found Americans in general more accepting of stereotypical male-female roles, especially in the South. Whereas few of my female friends cooked or accepted traditional feminine roles in Australia, it's "the norm" for women to care about cooking, decorating, etc over here, to a greater extent than it is in Australia.

Even in the Midwest, although it's not as profound as in the South, I would definitely say American women are far more feminine and 'girly' no matter what way you slice it.
why would you even conform to that?
Thats high maintenance right there. Weekly Pedicures? fake nails, fake eyelashes? No thanks. I care about my appearence, Its just all real.

again, with the stereotypes. We do cook. Decorating? ... . The feminine roles chugg along just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
LOL. there seems a lot of comments..

I barfed a little on the Texas women comment. They are no better or worse than a New Yorker, a Californian or even an Australian. People change and im not talking about just weight.

One can't make a blanket statement about women, no more than you can make one about men.

For every person that says Australians are fat or loud.. there will always be someone with a contrary opinion based on personal experience.

Here is my opinion from someone that has lived in Asia, the USA, Canada and Australia

Australian women:
some are nice, some not so
some are fat, some aren't
some like coffee.. some like tea
some are loud, some aren't
some are inquisitive and boldly ask questions, some aren't inquisitive or ask annoying questions
some are materialistic, some aren't
they sit when they poop and some use one ply dunny paper.. others use double ply
only South Australian women are perfect, unless they are misanthropes

I had to put something inane in my response to fit in.. guess which comment?
The only accurate post in this thread. (oh, except the last line. SA women. wrong. )

Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
why would you even conform to that?
Thats high maintenance right there. Weekly Pedicures? fake nails, fake eyelashes? No thanks. I care about my appearence, Its just all real.

again, with the stereotypes. We do cook. Decorating? ... . The feminine roles chugg along just fine.

The only accurate post in this thread. (oh, except the last line. SA women. wrong. )
Weekly pedicures do sound pretty excessive...Are you sure that's most women or just a certain beauty-conscious subset? Yeah honestly why the pressure to conform...And fake nails/eyelashes are not unknown here. I feel Aussie women actually wear MORE makeup than American women in general, at least from what I saw. Excepting certain regions, California and the South come to mind.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric9090 View Post
I think the American woman is more liberal and dominating in nature and strive to gain control by avoiding being under control, this might mean independence but actually it drags them towards loneliness and it has been observed that American woman don't get settled easily by making family and being more cultured, they believe to be always independent which restricts them to compromise that will result in breakups on the contrary oz woman is also lively and liberal but they still have tendency to compromise and settle down as a family by the end much easily.
And there you have it.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 57,194 times
How about this; at least upon the anglosphere women are women. Thinking about this thread I hate to say it but all the stand out features between my relatives here, in Australia and the UK; I cannot tell their traits by region. Compare China, India and Africa if you are looking for something quantifiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand