Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM

55 posts, read 133,855 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm an American who has a real interest in leaving my country one day and I'm actively looking at other cities around the world in hopes I can figure out where I want to move to(some day, I've got to save up first). Unfortunately, I have never left the USA so everything I've learned about other countries is through the internet and books. I have been interested in Sydney for many years because of the culture, beaches, shopping, and cosmopolitan lifestyle. I have a few questions for everyone who lives or has visited the Sydney/NSW area because there are many questions that guidebooks can't answer. Thanks in advance!

1- What's Sydney's winter weather like? I know that the seasons are reversed on the other side of the equator so right now it's winter there but does it get that cold?

2- I know Australia offers their citizens public healthcare but is it good? How exactly does it work?

3- Which neighborhoods are the safest and most affordable? What's the housing like there? I know in Europe you have to buy your own appliances and such, do they do in Australia too?

4- Do you need a car to get everywhere? How good and safe is the public transportation?

5- What do you love and hate most about Sydney?

If there is anything else you'd like to share, please do. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 01:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
1. You can google that. You can also go Sydney Morning Herald - Business & World News Australia | smh.com.au for current weather
2. If you are a citizen or PR you qualify. There is an existing thread on health care.
3. Id do an advanced search on cd. Several threads already exist.
4. Depends on where you live, just like any major city. Closer to city centre, no, further out.. Yes. Follows is more than you will need for info on syd transport:
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/a...ctransport.asp
5. Hmmmm. I prefer Melbourne actually. Again id do an advanced search.

Id check first if you qualify for migration before figuring out what neighborhood. I see you still need to save money. If you dont qualify, no need to research.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Cost of living is quite high, especially in Sydney, something I don't think most Americans realize until they get there.

Sydney more expensive to live in than NY

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinchic View Post
Hi,

I'm an American who has a real interest in leaving my country one day and I'm actively looking at other cities around the world in hopes I can figure out where I want to move to(some day, I've got to save up first). Unfortunately, I have never left the USA so everything I've learned about other countries is through the internet and books. I have been interested in Sydney for many years because of the culture, beaches, shopping, and cosmopolitan lifestyle. I have a few questions for everyone who lives or has visited the Sydney/NSW area because there are many questions that guidebooks can't answer. Thanks in advance!

1- What's Sydney's winter weather like? I know that the seasons are reversed on the other side of the equator so right now it's winter there but does it get that cold?

2- I know Australia offers their citizens public healthcare but is it good? How exactly does it work?

3- Which neighborhoods are the safest and most affordable? What's the housing like there? I know in Europe you have to buy your own appliances and such, do they do in Australia too?

4- Do you need a car to get everywhere? How good and safe is the public transportation?

5- What do you love and hate most about Sydney?

If there is anything else you'd like to share, please do. Thanks again!
1. sydney has a tendency to be humid...upto 90% sometimes. In winter it is not really cold (low-mid teens Celsius), but it does get a lot of heavy downpour intermittently.

2. healthcare is good in oz. We have a medicare system which covers us for doctors and hospital stays. If you have an emergency situation, you will be seen instantly without waiting... if you have a condition that requires treatment, your doctor will decide how serious it is and book you in for surgery...there is a waiting list but if you are more urgent, you get priority. So for example, if you get a sudden case of appendicitis, or tonsillitis, you will be operated on immediately if need be. The goverment only pay the bills...they dont have any say in what doctors you can see or anything like that. But you have to use a government funded hospital which is a 'public' hospital.

3. you can get any kind of accomodation you need. If you want a fully furnished apartment you can get them close to the cities. Or you can rent a house or unit/flat and put your own furniture and appliances in it. Rent in sydney is expensive... 1 or 2 bedroom unit may cost you up to $400 per week. You will need to pay a bond of 1 month in advance. You pay utilities on a monthly basis.

4. Sydney transport is very good and if you are using public transport you dont need a car...its cheaper not to have a car because parking costs a fortune in sydney.
the trains and buses are frequent and safe overall...just dont travel alone at night if you want to be safer.

5. i love the scenery, the trees, the harbor, so much to do, beautiful beaches (but a bit dirty) If you are an outdoors person, sydney is great...the good weather makes outdoor events possible all year round. But i hate the squeeze...its over populated! streets are cramped and accomodation is very expensive.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:14 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
To the OP,

Do you have to be in Sydney? As much I love it, if I were going to Oz without a specific job, I might opt for Melbourne. It's not really any less expensive but a little less crowded and hectic. Or, for a slightly lower cost of living, maybe Brisbane or Adelaide. (Perth is out of the question as it has gotten way expensive.)

Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brionne View Post

3. you can get any kind of accomodation you need. If you want a fully furnished apartment you can get them close to the cities. Or you can rent a house or unit/flat and put your own furniture and appliances in it. Rent in sydney is expensive... 1 or 2 bedroom unit may cost you up to $400 per week. You will need to pay a bond of 1 month in advance. You pay utilities on a monthly basis.
Less than $400/week for a two bedder? Maybe, but you won't be very close to Sydney!

Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Less than $400/week for a two bedder? Maybe, but you won't be very close to Sydney!
i just took a peek on realestate.com.au and i cant believe the prices! It was 10years ago when i was living in sydney and the prices were around $300 pw for a small terrace house. They seem to have gone through the roof!

im in melbourne now and the prices down here are very reasonable compared to sydney.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brionne View Post
i just took a peek on realestate.com.au and i cant believe the prices! It was 10years ago when i was living in sydney and the prices were around $300 pw for a small terrace house. They seem to have gone through the roof!

im in melbourne now and the prices down here are very reasonable compared to sydney.
The rental market moves differently to the straight out real estate values.
Sydney reached a peak in about 2003-4 and tapered from there, but rental values are dictated by occupancy rates - which are nearly 100% in Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand