U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 PM

11,544 posts, read 24,776,819 times

Advertisements

You've probably answered this a dozen times, but if you wouldn't mind one more time.

I've watched the movie Crocodile Dundee several times and it's fun. My question is about nature, I'm quite sure your 'roos do not shoot rifles and the movie does have some great gigs. The movie portrays bats, mountains, lakes, narrow trails, hunters, and barren land that seemed almost like desert..

It also portrays Aborigine males at what American's might call a very small tribal meeting or powwow. I saw face paint and what I thought might be a ritual dance.

Then there was the scene where berries that have an unpleasant smell attracted bats.

My question is how much of this is real outback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM

600 posts, read 703,962 times
Well to my knowledge they filmed that on location so it was probably real...

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,083,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You've probably answered this a dozen times, but if you wouldn't mind one more time.

I've watched the movie Crocodile Dundee several times and it's fun. My question is about nature, I'm quite sure your 'roos do not shoot rifles and the movie does have some great gigs. The movie portrays bats, mountains, lakes, narrow trails, hunters, and barren land that seemed almost like desert..

It also portrays Aborigine males at what American's might call a very small tribal meeting or powwow. I saw face paint and what I thought might be a ritual dance.

Then there was the scene where berries that have an unpleasant smell attracted bats.

My question is how much of this is real outback?
The majority of the film was made in the Kakadu national park (or at least the parts you are talking about) its an aborigional reserve, so im sure you will find people living a more traditional life style in it, and im pretty sure that everything you see in the movie exists within the park (not sure about the bat attracting trees however). The pub at the start is in the town of McKinlay in Queensland, the pub actually sits on the main highway heading south towards Brisbane. They picked it and moved it off the highway when making the film.

Only a small % of the outback looks like that however, from what ive seen it mostly it looks like this,

just imagine that for hundreds and hundreds of miles end on end, with a few areas areas of sand dunes, barren rocky landscapes, and salt plains thrown in, and maybe the odd Kangaroo or Camel if your lucky.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 06-28-2012 at 02:00 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,005,260 times
Kakadu's not the outback.

It's the Never-never.

Two different things. The outback is a whole enormous great bunch of nothing except dingos, emus and kangaroos. You truly can't comprehend it unless you've been there.

Sadly, a lot of traditional Aboriginal lives have deteriorated into sniffing petrol around the bushfire, not dancing. The pretty Aboriginals you see in movies are far removed from the truth. The below clips have footage of your average aboriginal camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lOY-jehPE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO6nF...eature=related

Last edited by MsAnnThrope; 06-28-2012 at 02:58 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 42,341,239 times
^ Actually I think all or most of the NT is considered the 'Outback' but I'm not positive about Kakadu.

The aboriginal dances/ceremonies are called 'Corroborrees' - aboriginal culture is very diverse with over 200 language groups and as many different cultures.

Check out the film 'Samson and Delilah' for a look into how many aboriginal people in the outback live these days.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 AM

11,544 posts, read 24,776,819 times
It is no consolation that our Native Americans don't live much better. One would think that governments and local communities could do more to better a bad situation. I am not convince that more police is the answer to poverty and boredom.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,135,053 times
Linicx, it's not poverty that's the problem, it's way more complicated than that. There's an argument that too much easy money robs people of their need to work. It's more a mix of the awful things white australia did to them over the last 200 years, combined with fumbled efforts to atone for it that have caused more harm than good. It's a really really complicated issue, and a lot of people are trying to figure out how to fix it. As far as I understand it the problems on native american reservations are poverty and isolation mainly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand