Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
The above poster is incorrect. As an American that lives and works in Australia I am very familiar with Australian legislation.

Moving and getting a permanent visa to Australia is a lengthy process and also you will need to have plenty of money in the bank as one of the criteria. And once you do have a permanent visa, there is a 2 year continuous waiting period (can not leave the country) before you can apply for any unemployment benefits. So don't expect to just arrive in AU and get on government unemployment benefits.

There is also the option to apply under a Family Sponsor visa. What that means is the Australian relatives are guarantees that they will cover financial expenses for a number of years so your medical expenses are covered and you don't use government resources. That is also a lengthy process and the relatives must have $$,$$$ put aside in a financial account just for this purpose.

Previously New Zealanders could use move over to AU and get government assistance. That even changed now, New Zealanders can come over and work here, however they have the same conditions now with needing a permanent visa and 2 year waiting period before apply for government benefits.

If it was as easy as the above poster said don't you think that millions of Americans who lost their jobs and houses in the last number of years would of gotten on a plane and started a new life in Australia? No, not so. If you want to migrant to Australia you will need to apply and have money in the bank to do so. I previously put up the link about Australia being very expensive to live in.

Good luck if you do decide to come over. Australia has been very good to me and my children living here.
After the two-year waiting period, how much(per month) unemployed benefits can a jobless person get?

And does the amount depend on one's age? Work experience? Or any other factors, etc.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
After the two-year waiting period, how much(per month) unemployed benefits can a jobless person get?

And does the amount depend on one's age? Work experience? Or any other factors, etc.???
I don't actually know how much unemployment someone can get. I am familiar with the information I gave as I assisted a couple of people that came from overseas to see if they could get some assistance and we read that information on the government website a couple of years ago. I would recommend going to the website and have a read. The power of the Internet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand