Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Wannerroo, have you ever actually attempted to access help or known anyone who has in the US or Australia? Thought not. And how about the child care subsidy and 12 month maternity leave in the US? Oh, yes, they don't have it.
Oh yes we do:

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Leave Benefits - FMLA

OPM-Child Care Subsidy

Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
No you weren't demonstrating they were well fed, you just expressed your opinion. You did not provide links to established news sources to back your claim that all poor in america are well fed. That's how you can demonstrate your point.

However, we are again, veering off course and talking about the US (both sides are brain washed (left and right), IMO.

We should keep discussions on America's safety net to the Controversies forum.
Don't need to provide links when 46 million Americans are getting up to $1300 worth of free food a month courtesy of the US taxpayer. And that doesn't include what WIC provides as well.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Wannerroo, have you ever actually attempted to access help or known anyone who has in the US or Australia? Thought not. And how about the child care subsidy and 12 month maternity leave in the US? Oh, yes, they don't have it.
This attitude is why you should consider the USA as a better place if you and your family want to make a better life for yourself. If your content to sit on your arse and collect whatever the government is willing to hand out Australia is the place for you. If you want to work and be rewarded for it go to the USA.

Yes it is much easier to collect benefits in Australia but the US benefits network for able bodied/minded people is to encourage them to go back to work, not to make a permanent life for themselves on benefit. Much like Australia there is a shortage of affordable housing especially in the cities.

Wanneroo has listed a number of the government funded agencies but the US also have a number of NGO which provide "safety net" support.

Quality of Life is a factor, if you didn't have to work or are part of the 1% then Quality of Life in Australia would probably be better. If you're part of the middle class and you live outside of New York or San Francisco your Quality of Life in the US is better, New York and San Francisco it really depends on your occupation and salary as they are very expensive cities. Most professional jobs have 4 weeks vacation, job sharing is much bigger in the US, telecommuting is not frowned upon in many industries and the childcare subsidy is not required in many places because child care fees aren't exorbitant as Australian governments help child care facilities make a healthy profit.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Don't need to provide links when 46 million Americans are getting up to $1300 worth of free food a month courtesy of the US taxpayer. And that doesn't include what WIC provides as well.
I was referring ot your claim that all the poor in the US are fed and fat and lazy and drive BMWs
Ive left a link to an address of a housing project to show folks that its a myth they all have fancy cars.
I've worked at soup kitches and other social service agencies and I can attest that the majority are not fat and lazy.
This is how the fox media likes to portray the poor, which I find as abhorrent as someone claiming the private sector is fine
Hunger a growing problem in America, USDA reports

Bottom line is if you have a good career with health bennies, the US may be the better option for careers. Otherwise .. no.
Worse part of living here is the politics and full disclosure: I am a registered Independent and hate the 2 party system.
So caveat emptor for anyone wanting to come to the US, be prepared to deal with crap and a seeming lack of caring for people.

Yes Aussie politics can be harsh, but Americans have mastered the art form of dirty ugly selfish hateful politics and this is its biggest shame, along with their brainwashed minions.

Last edited by minibrings; 07-13-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 AM

She was referring to a years leave. The US does not have that. It has 12 weeks of unpaid leave and your job is protected for 12 weeks. After that you can be fired as the job protection has expired.

From your link:

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides certain employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year. It also requires that their group health benefits be maintained during the leave. And you have to qualify.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I dunno Djuna, apparently the "social safety net" is more important to some. Jobs? Who needs those? Let some other sucker pay the bill.
Of course the taxpayer should pick up the bill for the countless lazy bums who can't be bothered getting off their couch and get a job... Large eye roll there. I hate disgusting welfare mentality. It ruins people and robs their motivation.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
She was referring to a years leave. The US does not have that. It has 12 weeks of unpaid leave and your job is protected for 12 weeks. After that you can be fired as the job protection has expired.

From your link:

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides certain employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year. It also requires that their group health benefits be maintained during the leave. And you have to qualify.
You have missed the point. If people want to debate the detailed effectiveness or ins and outs of each program and all the little minutiae details of how much the taxpayer can be taken for, there is the politics forum for that.

What was asserted was that the USA had NO social safety net and that is plainly, factually, incorrect.

No doubt those programs are inefficient, wasteful and often taken advantage of and there are tens of millions of Americans that have no problem getting on those programs and riding the benefits out as far as they will go.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I was referring ot your claim that all the poor in the US are fed and fat and lazy and drive BMWs
Ive left a link to an address of a housing project to show folks that its a myth they all have fancy cars.
I've worked at soup kitches and other social service agencies and I can attest that the majority are not fat and lazy.
This is how the fox media likes to portray the poor, which I find as abhorrent as someone claiming the private sector is fine
Hunger a growing problem in America, USDA reports

Bottom line is if you have a good career with health bennies, the US may be the better option for careers. Otherwise .. no.
Worse part of living here is the politics and full disclosure: I am a registered Independent and hate the 2 party system.
So caveat emptor for anyone wanting to come to the US, be prepared to deal with crap and a seeming lack of caring for people.

Yes Aussie politics can be harsh, but Americans have mastered the art form of dirty ugly selfish hateful politics and this is its biggest shame, along with their brainwashed minions.
I love the 2 party system rather than the politically correct middle of the road and suck it up mentality I see in other countries. Americans question and challenge the status quo and debate and ask the hard questions. It's why this country has fueled the technological progress of the world for 2 centuries. We debate, we have big ideas, we talk it out and find solutions. In general as a society, we don't sit around like a bunch of lemmings and think everyone else will just take care of whatever we want.

It's like Mr. Miyagi once said: "Walk right side road, safe. Walk left side road, safe. Walk down center of the road, eventually squish like grape".

I never alleged all the poor in this country are riding in bimmers and are fat and lazy, however many are taking advantage of the system.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissar View Post
Hello All

I have just received my Permanent Residency in Australia and will receive the American Green Card by the end of this year.
I am from the Middle East and cannot decide on where to live, both countries are great and both are more like a dream coming true!! I have a lot of relatives and friends in the US (Atlanta, Seattle and New-york) while I know no one in Australia; therefore the US seems like a better choice, but my concern is finding a job. I know the unemployment rate in the US is much higher than that of Australia. I am a HR Manager at a multinational corporation. My husband is a Financial Controller at a multinational corporation as well. We both have a MBA from Spain and 9+ years of experience (and we are willing to compromise! not looking for fancy titles or similar positions )

Any advice?

Thanks

Thinking out of the box: Canada? First time I've seen more Americans moving to Canada than Canadians moving to the US due to the economy (when I came back George Bush was still the president and the economy had gone in the toilet)
Recession, unemployment drive Americans north | CTVNews

Last edited by minibrings; 07-13-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
I wish I could participate but I can't . Should of Could of Would of!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand