Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM

48 posts, read 137,328 times

Advertisements

well, I'm being considered for a job based out of Mackay. I don't really know much about the area, or Australia in general. I currently live in Gillette, WY which is basically a high-desert....cold dry winters, hot dry summers. 2 hours away from any kind of outdoor recreation or shopping.

I'd be moving with my wife and 2 kids, both young (1.5 and 3 years old) so we'll be looking at preschool to early elementary school while we'd be down there. I dunno, I'm not sure what to ask. Gillette's got a reputation as a pretty rough town, so the city goes to great lengths to do 'family' things throughout the year, which is nice. but we still are far from alot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj1983 View Post
well, I'm being considered for a job based out of Mackay. I don't really know much about the area, or Australia in general. I currently live in Gillette, WY which is basically a high-desert....cold dry winters, hot dry summers. 2 hours away from any kind of outdoor recreation or shopping.

I'd be moving with my wife and 2 kids, both young (1.5 and 3 years old) so we'll be looking at preschool to early elementary school while we'd be down there. I dunno, I'm not sure what to ask. Gillette's got a reputation as a pretty rough town, so the city goes to great lengths to do 'family' things throughout the year, which is nice. but we still are far from alot of things.

Mackay is pretty isolated from other cities, as most cities in Northern Australia are, but is big enough >100,000 to have everything there.
It is a humid tropical climate, with very little winter to speak of - you won't need any big jackets, jumpers or blankets there.
Mackay Council website would be a good place to start investigating:
Mackay Regional Council - Mackay Regional Council
Each state has it's own education system, for Queensland see:
Education Queensland
I have never been north of the Sunshine Coast in SEQ, but possibly some others may have been there, and could offer more insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand