U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM

9,750 posts, read 11,170,409 times

Advertisements

I would absolutely consider retiring in Australia but from what I've seen, the economic requirements are far too onerous at this time and will likely be so in the forseeable future. I'll probably end up retiring somewhere like Thailand or Costa Rica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 01:20 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,674,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting topic in regards to retirement visas in Australia and in general.

Definitely wouldn't be able to afford to retire there, but never in my life would I ever want to live in Australia.

Have you seen those Huntsman spiders? They even surprise you in cars. No way. No freaking way.

No need to fear the Huntsman. Watch the video down under for a good explanation of what they really are about. Pretty harmless, really, unless the bring on a coronary from fear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCO56iyBXtU

PS fascinating that I started this thread nearly 4 years ago and it's still kicking.

One thing I didn't address in 2012 about "Why should Aussie let in a bunch of old geezers who are only interested in milking the health care system and public social services?":

What about all the poor Muslims that Oz let land on their shores and took in who got onto free health care and welfare and then started rioting? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, and a generous hand it is at that. What was that all about, or has the Oz govt. since changed their minds and figured it wasn't such a wise thing to do after all?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:25 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,597,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yeah. I've love to visit Australia, but I couldn't live there.

I like the things that can kill me here in Canada. Things that can be seen, or heard crashing through the bush or growling. Not silently walking on my neck while I sleep.
lol. I'll take my chances with a huntsman, over a bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No need to fear the Huntsman. Watch the video down under for a good explanation of what they really are about. Pretty harmless, really, unless the bring on a coronary from fear:

PS fascinating that I started this thread nearly 4 years ago and it's still kicking.

One thing I didn't address in 2012 about "Why should Aussie let in a bunch of old geezers who are only interested in milking the health care system and public social services?":

What about all the poor Muslims that Oz let land on their shores and took in who got onto free health care and welfare and then started rioting? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, and a generous hand it is at that. What was that all about, or has the Oz govt. since changed their minds and figured it wasn't such a wise thing to do after all?
lol. Muslims? You mean refugees, people seeking asylum, or immigrants, that are of various religious backgrounds?
Not sure what welfare they're entitled to, or what you're referring to at all. Perhaps you can be more specific.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 AM

913 posts, read 560,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Yeah. I've love to visit Australia, but I couldn't live there.

I like the things that can kill me here in Canada. Things that can be seen, or heard crashing through the bush or growling. Not silently walking on my neck while I sleep.
Don't worry, we also have plenty of big, sometimes noisey, things that can kill you...

Old 03-01-2016, 03:40 AM

424 posts, read 249,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
lol. I'll take my chances with a huntsman, over a bear

lol. Muslims? You mean refugees, people seeking asylum, or immigrants, that are of various religious backgrounds?
Not sure what welfare they're entitled to, or what you're referring to at all. Perhaps you can be more specific.
Wonder what rioting he is referring too?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:04 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,597,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Wonder what rioting he is referring too?
who knows... Nauru?

Old 12-08-2018, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 200 times
Hi:

I'm wondering if the Standard Retirement Visa has really been cancelled or has it been hidden away beneath the Investment Visa's high financial requirements.

Reading that I could have a four-year retirement visa sounded just right to me. I already have a pension from the U.S. and won't be asking the Australian government for anything, beyond the Visa. I'm not seeking permanent residency either.

Has anyone tried applying for a Standard Retirement Visa since the changes have taken place this year, 2018?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:16 PM

433 posts, read 146,186 times
I think that the government wanted to cancel it but it was knocked back in the Senate. So the waiting time was allowed to balloon out to about thirty years, which is obviously not practical when you are talking about people of retirement age. So for all intents and purposes that visa does not exist.

The investment retirement visa would be the only permanent option.

Think of the situation like this. Our Medicare, which most residents can access, is partly funded by a levy on taxable income. Because of the structure of the tax system most retired people do not pay the levy as they do not pay tax. Superannuation income up to $100k pa is not taxable over 60 years of age. Other taxable income is reduced by a seniors tax offset, a low income tax offset and share imputation credits. I actually think it is a bit ridiculous but that is how it is now.

Obviously the cost the government want to avoid is healthcare costs. Even when people have their own insurance they would be treated in a public hospital in an emergency and if they had let their insurance lapse the money would be hard to recover.

A large proportion of our immigrants now come from enmeshed cultures where it is normal for the elderly to live with their families. So the potential cost to the country can easily outweigh the benefits.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM

3,621 posts, read 1,324,565 times
Quote:
Australia seems like the perfect country to retire to: friendly people; open space; 1st world living conditions.

BUT!!

Take a gander at what they require from a person seeking a retirement visa:

I should add that even after investing minimum 1 million dollars in Australia you still do not nor will you ever qualify for state-sponsored health care.

Needless to say I won't be moving to Australia any time soon.
I think many Australians actually themselves choose “.Malaysia my second home” program and get out of Australia after retirement.

Cost of living is pretty high for retirees in major Australian cities - and on the hindsight, some Australians actually cry of boredom and lonelyless after moving to Malaysia. Perhaps there is a transition period?
“No Country for old men”, as the movie name goes.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,006,182 times
Quote:

Why? Well as with most countries a private health insurance would be required Old for Old Geezers, well possibly better off under Pommy NHS anyway.

Immigration to Australia is a business. It has clearly been so for a considerable time. You could at least get your facts straight before going on a rant concerning Muslims. No they have not rioted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand