U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
9,750 posts, read 11,170,409 times
Reputation: 4077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
So on ACA tonight they had a segment on people retiring in Bali. Said there are 80,000 people being paid Australian pensions overseas, though I suspect quite a lot are former immigrants returning to places like Greece. But I cannot imagine what I would do all day in somewhere like Bali. Not helpful that I hate the weather there, but do many people want to spend their retirement years sitting on a beach?
Yes that's exactly what I would love to do for retirement My retirement goal has always been to live in the tropics. I don't have any children or dependents so it would be relatively easy for me to do when the time comes. I would have considered tropical Australia if it wasn't so expensive and very restrictive with retirement visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 3,006,182 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I think Australia is in need of workers not retirees.
Although the need for workers appears to be somewhat over estimated. It does increase GDP of course, which can give the 'appearance' things are better than actually are.


No, the government wants the cash of rich retirees or anyone else for that matter; as the entire migration system is an important contributor to government coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 3,006,182 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes that's exactly what I would love to do for retirement My retirement goal has always been to live in the tropics. I don't have any children or dependents so it would be relatively easy for me to do when the time comes. I would have considered tropical Australia if it wasn't so expensive and very restrictive with retirement visas.
A sound idea. I've crossed paths with many retirees in the tropics. Not all stay the distance. Ill health or death of one of the couple can induce a return to country of origin, or elsewhere.


Saying that, most will cite better health and well being. More to do in life than stuck in some suburban setting. The heat is far better for aches and pains. Weight loss. Eating healthier. More diverse crowd of people than at home. More freedom .


Your in a similar boat to us, with no dependants. Not a bad situation at all, to have the world at your finger tips and the freedom to live and travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 3,006,182 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
So on ACA tonight they had a segment on people retiring in Bali. Said there are 80,000 people being paid Australian pensions overseas, though I suspect quite a lot are former immigrants returning to places like Greece. But I cannot imagine what I would do all day in somewhere like Bali. Not helpful that I hate the weather there, but do many people want to spend their retirement years sitting on a beach?
A lot are former migrants. Greeks in particular returned in droves a few decades back. I guess many have passed on now. One thing that did come out is that the mortality rate for over eighties is only half that of those that live in Australia.


Now either that suggests, Australia is not a very healthy country to age in, compared to Greek Islands, Italy and Spain (main countries) or that something 'fishy' is going on. That being deceased folk go on getting paid long after claimant dies. Hence remaining relatives gain. From 1 July a more rigorous system will be introduced, with checks every two years.


Gosh there is plenty more to do in the tropics that sit on a beach. Bali, would not be my choice, but even there, a ton of things within the ex pat community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:44 AM
 
Location: Australia
433 posts, read 146,186 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
A lot are former migrants. Greeks in particular returned in droves a few decades back. I guess many have passed on now. One thing that did come out is that the mortality rate for over eighties is only half that of those that live in Australia.


Now either that suggests, Australia is not a very healthy country to age in, compared to Greek Islands, Italy and Spain (main countries) or that something 'fishy' is going on. That being deceased folk go on getting paid long after claimant dies. Hence remaining relatives gain. From 1 July a more rigorous system will be introduced, with checks every two years.


Gosh there is plenty more to do in the tropics that sit on a beach. Bali, would not be my choice, but even there, a ton of things within the ex pat community.
Interesting, as anyone here getting an Italian pension have to prove the person is alive at least annually. Has to be signed off by a doctor as well as by the contact office here.

I have heard it said that some of the people in nursing homes from Italy etc who are supposedly over 100 may not actually be that old, keeping in mind that record keeping in those days when they were born was erratic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:26 PM
 
2,152 posts, read 3,006,182 times
Reputation: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Interesting, as anyone here getting an Italian pension have to prove the person is alive at least annually. Has to be signed off by a doctor as well as by the contact office here.

I have heard it said that some of the people in nursing homes from Italy etc who are supposedly over 100 may not actually be that old, keeping in mind that record keeping in those days when they were born was erratic.
Indeed. Germany has the same requirement. I can't think why Australians have been so reticent in the past on this matter. There must be any number of 'living relatives' quite possibly never set foot in Australia, in receipt of a payment to long deceased folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top