Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipodus View Post
Hello all. I am a history graduate and know a lot about Australia and also NZ and the other countries in the Pacific Ocean. I have also lived there in all of those countries including some very small islands you have probably never really heard about.

That point of view you mention was a myth. If you go back in time to the mid 19th Century, Australians were either NSWers or Victorians or Qlders or Tasmanians etc. Even before Federation there was a vast distance from England to Australia, and unlike the American colonies the Australian ones had self government. There was little use or need for England to send orders or instructions. Also the environment was so different, only 'local' mattered. Then when Federation happened, Australia was. This idea of Commonwealth is really a convenient one that has been resurrected in the post colonial days so that Brand England can keep its cultural influence up. In some of the other former colonies like NZ, Fiji etc it has more importance than in Australia. But of all of the colonies in the US, Canada, NZ, SA or Australia, Australian colonies had the most independent minded citizens, thankfully in large part to the US Revolution in which the British Govt realized it couldn't behave the same way, and partly because of the distance and sheer size of Australia (people needed to work together or nothing could have been accomplished there - it's too big - so every man counts). When you think of the population it has and the fact that they built that country in 200 years it is remarkable. But like the Brits in NY, HK and everywhere, they think they built it. They didnt - the settlers did, and the settlers did not regard themselves as British at all - but rather as SA, NSW, Qld, WA etc.

New Zealanders are rightly proud of their history but do tend to lack the same cultural traits as Australians - the environment is so different, and the divided long narrow islands mean a different way of life and identity. It's also a very small country in comparison. There is a lot of wounded pride in the last 25 years or so because of the poor state of the NZ economy, chances for young people and also because of the huge diaspora that has occurred because of the lack of opportunity which makes the whole thing even worse for the ones staying there, so then they also want to leave. But it makes for an interesting cultural event to watch though!
Wow. Great first post. I agree with everything you have said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,058 times
I moved to Christchurch from perth 2 years ago. I found australia is still better in overall. Better health system for example.
Warrant of fitness of car? Don't bother, It's just paperwork, no guarantee that your car is always fit, read the term and condition of it.
I agree that in some places you'll meet some annoying bogan etc. But to be fair it's not much different with Christchurch. You can also find some crazy people, impatience driver, drive like they own the road e.g. no signaling, u turn everywhere.
My opinion is depend where you live and stay.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
There is a lot of wounded pride in the last 25 years or so because of the poor state of the NZ economy, chances for young people and also because of the huge diaspora that has occurred because of the lack of opportunity which makes the whole thing even worse for the ones staying there, so then they also want to leave. But it makes for an interesting cultural event to watch though!
I don't get a sense of wounded pride in NZ, over Kiwis going to Aussie.

Creating an economy that keeps people at home, often gets talked up, but I really don't sense it as wounded pride.

People just accept it's a bigger country/economy with more opportunity ..... and better weather. Even if the Aussie economy is performing poorly, Aussie still has plenty to offer.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryharyono View Post
I moved to Christchurch from perth 2 years ago. I found australia is still better in overall. Better health system for example.
Warrant of fitness of car? Don't bother, It's just paperwork, no guarantee that your car is always fit, read the term and condition of it.
I agree that in some places you'll meet some annoying bogan etc. But to be fair it's not much different with Christchurch. You can also find some crazy people, impatience driver, drive like they own the road e.g. no signaling, u turn everywhere.
I think any comparison is very situational and when we start comparing medium sized cities to small ones, some of it becomes small vs bigger towns rather than country comparisons.

The Health system is a funny one, I am not convinced the public system is better in Australia however far more people have private health care which is unquestionably better but at a cost.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,271 times
Quote:
Hello all. I am a history graduate and know a lot about Australia and also NZ and the other countries in the Pacific Ocean. I have also lived there in all of those countries including some very small islands you have probably never really heard about.

That point of view you mention was a myth. If you go back in time to the mid 19th Century, Australians were either NSWers or Victorians or Qlders or Tasmanians etc. Even before Federation there was a vast distance from England to Australia, and unlike the American colonies the Australian ones had self government. There was little use or need for England to send orders or instructions. Also the environment was so different, only 'local' mattered. Then when Federation happened, Australia was. This idea of Commonwealth is really a convenient one that has been resurrected in the post colonial days so that Brand England can keep its cultural influence up. In some of the other former colonies like NZ, Fiji etc it has more importance than in Australia. But of all of the colonies in the US, Canada, NZ, SA or Australia, Australian colonies had the most independent minded citizens, thankfully in large part to the US Revolution in which the British Govt realized it couldn't behave the same way, and partly because of the distance and sheer size of Australia (people needed to work together or nothing could have been accomplished there - it's too big - so every man counts). When you think of the population it has and the fact that they built that country in 200 years it is remarkable. But like the Brits in NY, HK and everywhere, they think they built it. They didnt - the settlers did, and the settlers did not regard themselves as British at all - but rather as SA, NSW, Qld, WA etc.

New Zealanders are rightly proud of their history but do tend to lack the same cultural traits as Australians - the environment is so different, and the divided long narrow islands mean a different way of life and identity. It's also a very small country in comparison. There is a lot of wounded pride in the last 25 years or so because of the poor state of the NZ economy, chances for young people and also because of the huge diaspora that has occurred because of the lack of opportunity which makes the whole thing even worse for the ones staying there, so then they also want to leave. But it makes for an interesting cultural event to watch though!
Fascinating post! I'm a Brit living in Queensland and before that New Zealand. People here in Queensland identify with their state far more than with the Commonwealth, so yes I agree with what you're saying. IMO the Commonwealth is slowly chipping away the States' powers, which should be resisted. I lived in NZ for a while and still have family there, there's a definite antagonism towards Australia and people who leave NZ to come here (I've even experienced it on this forum, which was a shocker!). The lack of opportunity in NZ really got to me as did the arcane working practices. We didn't want our kids growing up with some of the social norms that are taken for granted in NZ, they are thriving here and turning into fine young men.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryharyono View Post
Can't fault the health system at all. MY SIL is a Kiwi medical practioner and moved over here recently. She has nothing but praise for the Australian system and can't believe how much better equipped it is, and the boost in salary helped pay for some of the expenses incurred in her move. She's still raves about how cheap the petrol is too, paid under a dollar a litre yesterday

Last edited by Samuel,J; 01-19-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
For the information of non Aussies here, I think antipodus and Sanual,J are speaking about two different "Commonwealths"; the concept of the British Commonwealth, and the Australian federation, legally called the "Commonwealth of Australia".

Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 PM

Just to clarify, by the Commonwealth I meant the Australian Federal Government.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
F (I've even experienced it on this forum, which was a shocker!). .
Yea there are some unbalanced ridiculous WAY over the top bordering on insane posts here!, which turns this section into a circus.

People are not stupid they can usually spot patterns and see who has a agenda, just because something is posted doesn't mean anyone believes it.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't get a sense of wounded pride in NZ, over Kiwis going to Aussie.

Creating an economy that keeps people at home, often gets talked up, but I really don't sense it as wounded pride.

People just accept it's a bigger country/economy with more opportunity ..... and better weather. Even if the Aussie economy is performing poorly, Aussie still has plenty to offer.
That's interesting, I think people are glad to have somewhere to move on to with relative ease. I know a lot of NZers (tradies mostly) who move between the two countries depending on where the work is and what the weather is like, much of it is seasonal in nature. With obvious exceptions, such as the boycott countdown campaign, the backlash over The GC TV series etc, people are generally pragmatic about the whole issue. It all comes down to being able to make a living, at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand