Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 AM

23 posts, read 40,621 times

Advertisements

The EIU is probably equal 1st or 1st as far as credibilty in carrying out these indexes go so people who say just anither survey should consider this. Alot of other research orgs have imbedded the EIU's findings into their own indexes. I once saw an org award Melbourne the best city in the world to host a sporting event and part of that criteria was lifestyle, and which org's numbers did they use, the EIU.

This is not some magazine for men asking its readers which do they think is the best city in the world to live in. It is far far more credible than that. Mercer is another credible one but its index is geared towards business execs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
The EIU is probably equal 1st or 1st as far as credibilty in carrying out these indexes go so people who say just anither survey should consider this. Alot of other research orgs have imbedded the EIU's findings into their own indexes. I once saw an org award Melbourne the best city in the world to host a sporting event and part of that criteria was lifestyle, and which org's numbers did they use, the EIU.

This is not some magazine for men asking its readers which do they think is the best city in the world to live in. It is far far more credible than that. Mercer is another credible one but its index is geared towards business execs.
I agree, Melbourne tops many of these lists. Either 1 or 2.

Personally, I wish they'd pipe down about it. The secret is getting out of how great Melbourne is

Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I agree, Melbourne tops many of these lists. Either 1 or 2.

Personally, I wish they'd pipe down about it. The secret is getting out of how great Melbourne is
Its too bad its full of bloody Victorians!
Victorians Come To South Australia! West End Ad (Funny Beer Ad) - YouTube
(Im not a fan of West End beer)

Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
That doesn't speak volumes at all, what a ridiculous comment. If you get overtaken by Adelaide and finish 8th or 9th, that's hardly an excuse to get excited. Haven't you heard the saying Sydney loves a winner. Bottom line is the Sydney folk don't care because they didn't finish top. The winner usually will jump up and down and that just happens to be Melbourne.
I'm originally from Victoria and I don't care for parochialism so I still stand by what I said before. Google it up and you'll see a lot of anti-Sydney threads are founded by Melbourne folk and frankly most Sydney folk don't give a damn about Melbourne.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I'm originally from Victoria and I don't care for parochialism so I still stand by what I said before. Google it up and you'll see a lot of anti-Sydney threads are founded by Melbourne folk and frankly most Sydney folk don't give a damn about Melbourne.
But this was not about Melbourne vs Sydney, this was about Melbourne vs 139 other cities...or...140 cities against eachother, in a global liveability index conducted by a London based organisation. YOU made it into Melbourne vs Sydney, no one else.

And as for your comment that Sydney could not give a damn about Melbourne:

Which city tried to take the grand prix from Melbourne?
Which city tried to poach the Australian Open from Melbourne?
Which city came out and said it wanted to build the Syd... umm it's own horse race to be bigger than the Melbourne Cup?
Which city passed relaxed liquor licencing laws to try and emulate Melbourne style laneways?

For a city that doesn't care less about Melbourne, Sydney sure tries hard to have what its got.

What you said is a blatant lie. Go on to any blog page following a Syd Melb article. You will see it is not Melburnians arguing amongst themselves.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 AM

317 posts, read 528,126 times
I really like Melbourne's poo brown river

Old 08-18-2012, 10:33 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
I lived in Melbourne for 6 months several years ago and I really liked living there.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:29 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
But this was not about Melbourne vs Sydney, this was about Melbourne vs 139 other cities...or...140 cities against eachother, in a global liveability index conducted by a London based organisation. YOU made it into Melbourne vs Sydney, no one else.

And as for your comment that Sydney could not give a damn about Melbourne:

Which city tried to take the grand prix from Melbourne?
Which city tried to poach the Australian Open from Melbourne?
Which city came out and said it wanted to build the Syd... umm it's own horse race to be bigger than the Melbourne Cup?
Which city passed relaxed liquor licencing laws to try and emulate Melbourne style laneways?

For a city that doesn't care less about Melbourne, Sydney sure tries hard to have what its got.

What you said is a blatant lie. Go on to any blog page following a Syd Melb article. You will see it is not Melburnians arguing amongst themselves.
If I read your original comment to my post correctly, you're the one who started jumping down my throat and accusing me of showing typical "Sydney" attitude when I merely questioned the authenticity of the survey as well as the "exact" number of participants who took part in it. I did add the bit about Sydney not caring because it's usually Melbourne that has a bone to pick with Sydney, judging by my experiences, not the other way around. If Victoria is that great then why do over 30,000 people leave the state yearly and why do most of the people at my workplace hail from Victoria, many vowing never to return, and also that most of my friends and relatives live here now? You're the one who started the MEL VS SYD debate, not me. I've heard it all before and it's quite boring and tiresome frankly.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 08-21-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
If I read your original comment to my post correctly, you're the one who started jumping down my throat and accusing me of showing typical "Sydney" attitude when I merely questioned the authenticity of the survey as well as the "exact" number of participants who took part in it. I did add the bit about Sydney not caring because it's usually Melbourne that has a bone to pick with Sydney, judging by my experiences, not the other way around. If Victoria is that great then why do over 30,000 people leave the state yearly and why do most of the people at my workplace hail from Victoria, many vowing never to return, and also that most of my friends and relatives live here now? You're the one who started the MEL VS SYD debate, not me. I've heard it all before and it's quite boring and tiresome frankly.
Bottom line is, I never mentioned Sydney. The article stated that Adelaide overtook Sydney, which it did. But you then inexplicably said why does Melbourne try to compete with Sydney. I mean WTF. And I wouldn't be talking about people leaving Melbourne because population gain is one area where Melbourne is dominating Sydney and every other Australian city. Melbourne has outgrown Sydney for the past 10 years. I'm afraid you and the people you referred to are in the minority. You may want to Google it before you next respond. Anyhow, you stated you're from Melbourne but all you've done is bag the place and been incorrect with everything you've said in this thread to date so anything you say can't be taken seriously. Why don't don't you make up some other rubbish about Melbourne in another thread you lying troll.

That is all.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Bottom line is, I never mentioned Sydney. The article stated that Adelaide overtook Sydney, which it did. But you then inexplicably said why does Melbourne try to compete with Sydney. I mean WTF. And I wouldn't be talking about people leaving Melbourne because population gain is one area where Melbourne is dominating Sydney and every other Australian city. Melbourne has outgrown Sydney for the past 10 years. I'm afraid you and the people you referred to are in the minority. You may want to Google it before you next respond. Anyhow, you stated you're from Melbourne but all you've done is bag the place and been incorrect with everything you've said in this thread to date so anything you say can't be taken seriously. Why don't don't you make up some other rubbish about Melbourne in another thread you lying troll.

That is all.
Sydney will continue to lose people... the cost of housing is ridiculous. (although realise not much different in other parts of the country)

Both are cool cities {with sydney doing a lot of work recently to emulate melb ~ which is flattery in its highest form }
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand