Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

SYDNEY — The world's richest woman, Australian mining tycoon Gina Rinehart, urged those "jealous" of the wealthy to "spend less time drinking" in a piece the government described as "insulting" on Thursday.
Rinehart, whose family iron ore prospecting fortune of Aus$29.2 billion (US$30.1 billion) also makes her Australia's wealthiest person, hit out at those who she said were envious of the rich.

AFP: World's richest woman: 'Drink less, work more'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
SYDNEY — The world's richest woman, Australian mining tycoon Gina Rinehart, urged those "jealous" of the wealthy to "spend less time drinking" in a piece the government described as "insulting" on Thursday.
Rinehart, whose family iron ore prospecting fortune of Aus$29.2 billion (US$30.1 billion) also makes her Australia's wealthiest person, hit out at those who she said were envious of the rich.

Okeedokee.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:09 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I was interested to read that this woman inherited her wealth from her father, who discovered and developed (in partnership with a couple of mining companies) a vast deposit of minerals.

I have noticed that people who inherit great wealth often look down on people who did not inherit great wealth. See, if people simply drank less and worked more, then THEY would also, no doubt, inherit great wealth.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
I deal with the public and people of moderate wealth. (not billionaires)

I find on average people who truly came up from the bottom get it and treat lower wealth people better than those who are members of the lucky sperm club.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
The rich people in my circle are primarily self-made entrepreneurs. They are some of the most generous, down-to-earth people I've met.

I live in a pretty plain house. Nice zip code but hardly extravagant. My daughter needed a car and we bought her a Ford Focus. I could buy her anything. My wife's car is seven years old.

Most of us did "drink less and work more", at least metaphorically. She sounds out of touch.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I'm not going to accept her as a poster child for "rich people" any more than I'm going to accept that the poor are just lazy drunks.

I don't like playing the game where you pick out the biggest arse in a group and then try to label the whole as a result. Although it's done here all the time.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I was interested to read that this woman inherited her wealth from her father, who discovered and developed (in partnership with a couple of mining companies) a vast deposit of minerals.

I have noticed that people who inherit great wealth often look down on people who did not inherit great wealth. See, if people simply drank less and worked more, then THEY would also, no doubt, inherit great wealth.
I don't think she is looking down at people, she is merely being realistic and if you want to be successful you can't whizz all of your income away at the pub. People that are successful work hard and reinvest their income.

She did inherit money, but for the last 20 years she did not let the dust collect on her feet and instead worked hard to grow her businesses and many in Australia benefit from that.

When I was living in Colorado, we hired around 150 aussies and kiwis every winter season. It was a good job that if you worked hard, you could make a nice sum of money for a seasonal job. Many turned up with big dreams of after the season, traveling the world or something similar. And many left for home at the end of season with $100 in their pocket rather than traveling the world, because they blew every penny in the beer joints in town.

It's the same I've heard in Perth and Kalgoorlie, etc. Mining workers making big money and blowing it on broads, beer and fast cars.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
The few (relatively) wealthy people I've met are tightwads, and they don't pay a fair share of tax, either. Fortunately there are some around who are philanthropists.

The recent Dick Smith "rant" on the miserliness of many of the rich was right on the button.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't think she is looking down at people, she is merely being realistic and if you want to be successful you can't whizz all of your income away at the pub. People that are successful work hard and reinvest their income.

She did inherit money, but for the last 20 years she did not let the dust collect on her feet and instead worked hard to grow her businesses and many in Australia benefit from that.

When I was living in Colorado, we hired around 150 aussies and kiwis every winter season. It was a good job that if you worked hard, you could make a nice sum of money for a seasonal job. Many turned up with big dreams of after the season, traveling the world or something similar. And many left for home at the end of season with $100 in their pocket rather than traveling the world, because they blew every penny in the beer joints in town.

It's the same I've heard in Perth and Kalgoorlie, etc. Mining workers making big money and blowing it on broads, beer and fast cars.
Tell me you are kidding, she inherited the lot, hell she will be saying that she is envied for her good looks next.
Rather a stupid comment to make by her, she is suggesting that those who do not drink have just as much chance to INHERIT wealth.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Anytime land rentier and Australia meet, one needs to read this guy.

thedepression.org.au | The Depression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand