Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 AM

89 posts, read 209,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yes I live in the inner city, yet some suburbs are heavily Asian too such as Parramatta, Chatswood and Cabramatta to name a few. I remember Sydney 30 years ago and it was sure had much less Asians. Melbourne suburbs that are mostly Asian include Box Hill and Glen Waverley.
Thats true. There were a lot less of them even 15 years ago from what i remember. Our country is going down the drain quickly and not many people are speaking up, mostly cause of fear and apathy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 PM

251 posts, read 396,152 times
I don't know why people say White Australian Policy was evil.

It was necessary at that time or otherwise Australian would've became Asian majority country.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
I don't know why people say White Australian Policy was evil.

It was necessary at that time or otherwise Australian would've became Asian majority country.
What is wrong with been an Asian majority country? The essential law upon which this country is based and run (the constitution) was set in place before the WAP even existed.
It's almost impossible to say that we would be any better or worse off if Australia had a majority asian population.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-27-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM

251 posts, read 396,152 times
Europeans built Australia and made it a first world country. It should always be white majority.

I am not even white btw. I am south Asian living in Australia.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Europeans built Australia and made it a first world country. It should always be white majority.

I am not even white btw. I am south Asian living in Australia.

Over the coming centuries I doubt that's remotely possible and not sure if skin color really matters. 2nd generation Asian descendants appear quite culturally Aussie or mainstream Westernised to me.

Also keep in mind balance of wealth and power is shifting, there will be a number of what we would class as first would developed nations in Asia depending on world resources, but thats another topic.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Thats true. There were a lot less of them even 15 years ago from what i remember. Our country is going down the drain quickly and not many people are speaking up, mostly cause of fear and apathy.
It is the same apathy as to why we are not a Republic and still a Monarchy.
The changing face of Australia is only good thing for progress in my book.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 PM

89 posts, read 209,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It is the same apathy as to why we are not a Republic and still a Monarchy.
The changing face of Australia is only good thing for progress in my book.
Most people don't want a republic. What good would it bring anyway? Its just another assault on Australia's heritage. This "changing face" is displacing the majority population and if that's your definition of progress then enjoy living in a future third world banana republic.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 PM

598 posts, read 955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
Most people don't want a republic. What good would it bring anyway? Its just another assault on Australia's heritage. This "changing face" is displacing the majority population and if that's your definition of progress then enjoy living in a future third world banana republic.
Sorry monocnut, we will become a republic and there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There was a lot of immigration in Australia from China, but also places like Afghanistan, i.e. non-European places, in the early days. If not for the White Australia Policy, how do you think this would have shaped Australia's demographics and culture today?

Since 1973 we've rapidly become multicultural, but even today some areas are pretty solidly white. I think without the WAP, multiculturalism might've began earlier, and Australia would be less British, less European, and culturally more Asian, perhaps also African. The population might've been as much as 30% Chinese: I read that for many years Asians outnumbered Europeans in Darwin. The Chinese were also very prominent in the Goldfields. Whether there'd be a lot of racism, it's hard to say, but I don't pretend to think it would be some peaceful utopia, no society is.

It's interesting to speculate. The policy is probably what kept Australia from being 'swamped by Asians' as they used to say. We're geographically in the Asian region, so it's not too implausible to think Australia would have become a majority ethnically-Asian country. Many believe the Malays and Chinese might've made it to Australia before Europeans.
Good question. I think you're right about it being more Asian, not sure about it being more African. I do wonder if Britain and the allies would have been less protective of the country during WWII if that had been the case. There would have had had a very different outcome to the war in the Pacific if Japan had expanded its empire into an Asian Australia.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:20 AM

142 posts, read 239,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Good question. I think you're right about it being more Asian, not sure about it being more African. I do wonder if Britain and the allies would have been less protective of the country during WWII if that had been the case. There would have had had a very different outcome to the war in the Pacific if Japan had expanded its empire into an Asian Australia.
Not saying I wish that were the case, but it would give the invaders a taste of their own medicine I suppose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand