Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,909 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a recent college grad looking for a fun place to live with the working holiday visa. I'm looking for:

-somewhat affordable (I don't plan on having a super high paying job)
-near the ocean and aquatic recreation -- scuba, surfing, kayaking -- super important!!
-near some sort of gay scene
-not a dead job market
-not a podunk town in the middle of nowhere -- I like vibrant city life
-decent public transportation
-outdoor recreation
-beaches!
-warm ocean
-mild winters

Any suggestions? Gracias!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krarnold View Post
So, I'm a recent college grad looking for a fun place to live with the working holiday visa. I'm looking for:

-near the ocean and aquatic recreation -- scuba, surfing, kayaking -- super important!!
-not a dead job market
-outdoor recreation
-beaches!
-warm ocean
-mild winters

Probably somewhere in South East Queensland would fit most of these criteria.
The Gold Coast -Brisbane area is almost one large contiguous city now, with plenty of opportunities (heaps of working class Kiwis living there now are a testament) and not as dear as Sydney, Melbourne or Perth.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Sydney as the winters are not too cold. That is what I get from the European backpackers I do meet and some I surprise wear shorts and shirts on the days I think Sydney is cold and some state its not too cold for them. Not sure if it the same standards as Americans. I have met many people on working holidays in Sydney and most of them love Sydney. Some admit they love it in Sydney so much that they don't want to live anywhere else but Sydney. Most of them tend to stay in backpacker accomodation or shared accommodation. Another reason why they are in Sydney is due to work. Yet of course they complain on how expensive Sydney is yet some backpackers have managed to get great paid jobs.

Also if you are gay, Sydney and Melbourne are the biggest gay areas with gay bars and clubs, etc. . From what I know Gold Coast only has one gay bar and from what I heard from a gay friend it is not that good and quite dead. Brisbane from what I hear the gay scene is more active but not as vibrant as the bigger cities down south.

With Queensland there are job opportunities but the best job opportunities esp for people on working holiday visas is Brisbane. Gold Coast is a bit harder except if you want to work in hospitality. Brisbane is great but I found it a bit boring in nightlife compared to Sydney and Melbourne. Yet each to their own.

Last edited by other99; 09-10-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM

18 posts, read 43,153 times
Quote:
-not a dead job market
-outdoor recreation
-beaches!
-warm ocean
-mild winters
You're pretty much limited to the capital cities, I'd say. Your weather/environment probably indicates Brisbane or (maybe) Sydney. Personally I'd say Melbourne because it's a better destination (all around) for recent grads - vibrant nightlife, etc. Also the Great Ocean Road coastline is breathtaking, for short trips. But Queensland will be the more stereotypical 'Australian' experience, if that's what you're after. Perth and Adelaide are more laid back, but still big by U.S. city standards (2 and 1.5 mil, respectively).

- Public transport: Melbourne - amazing inner-city tram (trolley/streetcar) system (like S.F.'s except nicer)
- Affordability: I'd say Adelaide, but Sydney is the clear loser here: Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth are all cheaper.
- The ocean's warm everywhere in summer, but winters are milder the further north you go: hence Brisbane, Sydney or Perth.
- Job market isn't especially bad anywhere
- No real knowledge, but I'd guess the LGBT scene would be alright in any capital city, simply b/c of population size.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:08 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,307,967 times
Quote:

-not a dead job market
-outdoor recreation
-beaches!
-warm ocean
-mild winters

What type of work?

If you are on a working holiday visa, why not tour around first and then decide. That is what every other person on a working holiday I know has done.

Though I love Brisbane, I do think it is very expensive now and Gold Coast is cheaper. Sydney is very expensive, though perhaps Newcastle or Wollongong might be worth thought - they are smaller cities but fairly close to Sydney.

Again, it all depends on the type of work you want to do.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,417 times
hi,im from Malaysia.there's a few question pop out in my mind lately.
im curious about the universities in australia, and im searching for banking and finance courses which are related with my diploma course right now.did anyone knows which is the best place/uni to further my degree studies?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Being able to do research is a valuable skill in Uni. Info on best business courses in Oz is easily found by doing a google. You may want to to try googling business week asia top business schools

Old 09-14-2012, 12:46 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,655 times
What about Perth/margaret river?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Perth is very expensive. Margaret River is very small perhaps something in tourism there? Fruit picking is easy to get in the regions but can be hard graft.
Also depends on whether you can get the WHV or are coming on spec in the hope of working in the black....

Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,298 times
Default Australia

If I were you I would go to the sunshine coast Queensland Australia, Mooloolaba has everything you are wanting and you can study at the uni in sippy downs. We moved and I run my wedsite from there [url=http://www.rapidtoolsdirect.co.uk/]Rapid Tools Direct - Online supplier of Tools and DIY Equipment[/url] its a great place, take a look!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand