Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Having said that, I went for a walk through the CBD today and I did feel a bit like a foreigner. 85% must have been Asian. You can certainly see how some would claim we are being over-run.
Yes they do tend to concentrate in certain areas though, the Asians. Also on public transport and in certain enclaves. Parts of Sydney are 60%+ born overseas, and feel more like Hong Kong or Beirut than Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,439,550 times
[quote=sulkiercupid;26201268]Australia doesn't get anywhere near 200,000 migrants a year let alone that many from Asia and Africa.

There were 127,000 migrants in the year 2010-11 (net permanent migration of 39,000), with 76,000 from Asia, Africa or the Middle East. That doesn't constitute a flood of migrants from Asia, or anywhere else for that matter.
Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 2. Key Facts about Immigration[/

I'm pretty sure arrivals takes into account movements in people pernamently arriving or pernamently departing at air or sea ports. It does not account people like my wife who arrived here on temp visa and obtained her pr visa from within the country.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-22-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 09-22-2012, 09:18 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well sushi is more common than meat pies, you're seeing more Asians around, things like bubble tea are getting popular among non-Asians as well. I'd say they're all pretty mainstream too. Not to mention kebabs which are Asian too. Yes mainly food but that's an important component of culture too. Like the rest of the western world words like 'karma' are also becoming household words.
Sushi is ubiquitous around the world, like pizza, Chinese food and kebabs. If you think sushi is more common than meat pies then you might need to get out more. I've got no idea what bubble tea is, sorry.

You really lost me with the karma thing...

Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Parts of Sydney are 60%+ born overseas, and feel more like Hong Kong or Beirut than Australia.
Which isn't something to be encouraged.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,151,587 times
Quote:
I've got no idea what bubble tea is, sorry.
Bubble tea is quite popular, especially in areas with lots of young Asians. You can't escape it on the US West Coast or even parts of Dallas and Houston here in Texas.

Bubble tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, recent revelations about possible connections between bubble tea and cancer might put the brakes on its popularity:

Bubble Tea Tapioca Pearls May Contain Cancer-Causing Chemicals, German Study Claims

As for the original post, from this distance, it seems as if Asians may be having an easier time assimilating into Australian society than previous immigrant groups, if their general success here in the US (higher average incomes, higher percentage with degrees, etc.) is an indication.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Muslim and African populations in Australia. Interestingly, even though there's a large Muslim population in the US, there was no outbreak of anti-video violence here in the belly of the beast so to speak. A small demonstration here in Dallas by Muslims against the violent response to the video was the only one that I'm aware of. Yet there was a very different response in Sydney.

Are there fundamental differences between the Muslim populations in US and those in Europe, Australia and Asia? Maybe the Muslim community in the US, in the wake of 9-11, is more likely to try and keep a low profile?

Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Bubble tea is quite popular, especially in areas with lots of young Asians. You can't escape it on the US West Coast or even parts of Dallas and Houston here in Texas.

However, recent revelations about possible connections between bubble tea and cancer might put the brakes on its popularity:

Bubble Tea Tapioca Pearls May Contain Cancer-Causing Chemicals, German Study Claims

As for the original post, from this distance, it seems as if Asians may be having an easier time assimilating into Australian society than previous immigrant groups, if their general success here in the US (higher average incomes, higher percentage with degrees, etc.) is an indication.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Muslim and African populations in Australia. Interestingly, even though there's a large Muslim population in the US, there was no outbreak of anti-video violence here in the belly of the beast so to speak. A small demonstration here in Dallas by Muslims against the violent response to the video was the only one that I'm aware of. Yet there was a very different response in Sydney.

Are there fundamental differences between the Muslim populations in US and those in Europe, Australia and Asia? Maybe the Muslim community in the US, in the wake of 9-11, is more likely to try and keep a low profile?
I live close to a area that contains a huge muslim population and most muslims around are moderate in their beliefs. In addition the muslim leaders have denounced the protests that turned violent last week.

Of course I know a muslim that hate Jews and many muslims would have a dislike of Jews and if they were affected directly by the Israeli/Arab comflict and I guess it was due to the Israeli invasion and bombing of Lebanon.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,953,354 times
Quote:
Having said that, I went for a walk through the CBD today and I did feel a bit like a foreigner. 85% must have been Asian. You can certainly see how some would claim we are being over-run.
Well I know a few Asians that stated they saw Asians everywhere when they first arrived in Sydney and I know one that thought "Where are the Aussies"? When she spent a bit of time in Sydney she realised that you had to get into the suburbs usually find them mostly.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,439,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post

I had no idea this stuff was called bubble tea, ive always referred to it as pearl tea, asian milk tea or flavoured tea, and might stop drinking it after reading the second article.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-23-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times
Quote:
Sushi is ubiquitous around the world, like pizza, Chinese food and kebabs. If you think sushi is more common than meat pies then you might need to get out more. I've got no idea what bubble tea is, sorry.

You really lost me with the karma thing...
It might depend where you live, but in the urban environment of Perth sushi has definitely overtaken meat pies in terms of popularity. I guess it's comparatively healthy. I love a good meat pie, and they're still common, but it seems there are just so many sushi joints here, probably too many of them.

If you don't know what bubble tea is you may have to get out more.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
It might depend where you live, but in the urban environment of Perth sushi has definitely overtaken meat pies in terms of popularity. I guess it's comparatively healthy. I love a good meat pie, and they're still common, but it seems there are just so many sushi joints here, probably too many of them.
Yes but you didn't say "in some parts of Australia sushi is more popular than pies".

Quote:
Sushi
  • In total, we ate 115.6 million sushi serves. Eighteen to 24-year-olds ate 21.4 million.

Meat pies
  • We ate 176.9 million pies and those aged 50 to 59 years ate 32.5 million.

Dining at home
  • In late 2009, the Meat & Livestock Association surveyed our favourite dinner dishes. they are:
1. Steak and vegetables.
2. Roast chicken and vegetables.
3. Spaghetti bolognaise
4. Beef casserole/stew/curry/stroganoff.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Read more: What Australians Eat
[/LEFT]

Quote:
If you don't know what bubble tea is you may have to get out more.
Don't drink tea or coffee, so it's not something I would go looking for. I asked a few tea drinkers this morning, one out of four had heard about it. None had tried it.

Last edited by BCC_1; 09-23-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand