Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:18 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times

Advertisements

We had a taiwanese cultural festival up hear on the weekend at a suburban show ground. It was well advertised and i went along but the crowd while large would have being at least 95% Asian. I assume it will be exactly the same at the Korean Film festival we have next weekend as well.

Yes we are seeing a lot more asians here no doubt, and i find it wonderful that we have these sorts of things regularly, but its going to take a long time for the mainstream white population to understand and integrate with asian culture.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-23-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We had a taiwanese cultural festival up hear on the weekend at a suburban show ground. It was well advertised and i went along but the crowd while large would have being at least 95% Asian. I assume it will be exactly the same at the Korean Film festival we have next weekend as well.

Yes we are seeing a lot more asians hear no doubt, and i find it wonderful that we have these sorts of things regularly, but its going to take a long time for the mainstream white population to understand and integrate with asian culture.
Exactly my thinking. Mainstream Australia has little interest in Asian culture in their everyday lives. That's why they travel.

On Korean film festivals, I spent a week in North Korea once and we were scheduled to go to some film festival for "non-aligned and other developing countries" but at the last minute they said no Westerners, so we ended up having to watch a NK musical on the landing of our hotel floor. It went for 6.5 hours...No joke! This is the movie, thankfully it's only a sampler.

GIRLS IN MY HOME TOWN - YouTube

And while we are doing a bit of DPRK propaganda, we also took a trip out to the captured American "spy" ship Pueblo, where they play this movie for you. I got to the end and had to ask someone what exactly Prebro was. Also the way he says shuperpower...at 1:30 .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95qtd...eature=related

Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,901 times
Yes, but my guess is the Korean Film Festival will attract a wider white audience than some random Taiwanese Cultural Festival. First of all, the movies will be expertly made films from South Korea and my guess is none of them will be running six hours.

Movies from South Korea are now quite hip, like their cars, especially among a younger audience. That's certainly true in the US and I'm sure it's the same in Oz as well. South Korean films, much like Japanese and Chinese films before them, have begun to crossover to a more general art house and cult audience that is not necessarily Asian.

Films like "Old Boy," "The Host," "The Man from Nowhere," and "The Chaser" have found an audience outside South Korea and, after Sweden, South Korea seems to be one of the hot places Hollywood looks to for ideas: Discover Your Connection: Castaway in Hollywood: Remakes of Korean films

After all, it's not just Koreans who are doing things "Gangnam Style" these days.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,496,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Yes, but my guess is the Korean Film Festival will attract a wider white audience than some random Taiwanese Cultural Festival. First of all, the movies will be expertly made films from South Korea and my guess is none of them will be running six hours.

Movies from South Korea are now quite hip, like their cars, especially among a younger audience. That's certainly true in the US and I'm sure it's the same in Oz as well. South Korean films, much like Japanese and Chinese films before them, have begun to crossover to a more general art house and cult audience that is not necessarily Asian.

Films like "Old Boy," "The Host," "The Man from Nowhere," and "The Chaser" have found an audience outside South Korea and, after Sweden, South Korea seems to be one of the hot places Hollywood looks to for ideas: Discover Your Connection: Castaway in Hollywood: Remakes of Korean films

After all, it's not just Koreans who are doing things "Gangnam Style" these days.
I certainly hope you are correct, as you said, Korean films are normally very good.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM

318 posts, read 625,687 times
Is stef18 Pauline Hanson in disguise?

Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM

48 posts, read 64,549 times
If white Australians don't want their country to become Asian, then they should have more kids or shut the borders, abandon global capitalism which requires population growth, and embrace a small population.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,526 times
Australia will have a majority Asian and Eurasion population, but it will take at least another century. You can see the beginnings of it here in Sydney. I do wish that migration was a little less heavily Asian. We need more hispanics which are underrepresented in our migrant intake. That is true diversity, not just Asian immigrants.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
^ I think interest in Asian culture is definitely growing. Things like karma, feng shui, chakras, chi, tai chi - have become household words, many Australians eat sushi more than hamburgers, a large percentage of Australians have been to Asia, have Asian friends. A lot are getting into Asian films, music, anime.etc. I mean take a lot of video games, they have Japanese themes etc like Final Fantasy. The younger generation is embracing it more.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Yes we are seeing a lot more asians here no doubt, and i find it wonderful that we have these sorts of things regularly, but its going to take a long time for the mainstream white population to understand and integrate with asian culture.
Taiwan could promote itself outside Asia. It has a lot to offer. I'd never considered visiting it much, but am glad I went.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,952 times
I wonder when the asian population is going to integrate and understand white culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand