Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM

103 posts, read 304,910 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We just returned from an amazing trip to New Zealand. The landscape is definitely one of the most beautiful I've seen. We spent the last day or two of our trip in Auckland since that's where we flew out of to come back home. While we were souvenir shopping downtown, I noticed that almost every single store we walked into, the shop owners or the employees would watch us almost the entire time. When that happens here, I get really uncomfortable and I end up leaving but it hardly ever happens any way. I think it was pretty obvious that we were tourists probably because of the way we were dressed or whatnot, but I don't think we look like suspicious individuals (there was two of us). I'm just curious if it's just a general mindset for shop owners where tourists are concerned, or if it's just the standard. Does shoplifting happen often? I would definitely understand if that's the case. I just couldn't handle it after a while and would start to dread it every time we went into a shop.

It didn't make me want to stay away from New Zealand, I'm not that easy to scare away. It was just a trend that was too blatantly obvious to ignore.

When all is said and done, I can't wait to go back someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Thats not common at all here. You were unlucky. That said, Auckland does have some of the highest rates of shoplifting in the country, so thats the most likely place for this to occur. Pleased you enjoyed your trip.

Last edited by dave nz; 09-27-2012 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I've noticed in Australia and NZ, some of the touristy areas and sometimes in cities you can get watched like a hawk in stores, the worst being the Gold Coast where vendors in the mall even had a camera set up to watch the opposite side of their cart. Overall, I don't think it's a problem and most shop keepers are probably more interested to see what they can help you with.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've noticed in Australia and NZ, some of the touristy areas and sometimes in cities you can get watched like a hawk in stores, the worst being the Gold Coast where vendors in the mall even had a camera set up to watch the opposite side of their cart. Overall, I don't think it's a problem and most shop keepers are probably more interested to see what they can help you with.
I've been in many and hardly noticed it and I probably look more dodgy than the OP

They all have surveillance, so why would they need to watch for security reasons? I agree, its usually more about to see if they can help or make a sale.

Last edited by dave nz; 09-27-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I've been in many and hardly noticed it and I probably look more dodgy than the OP

They all have surveillance, so why would they need to watch for security reasons? I agree, its usually more about to see if they can help or make a sale.
I haven't noticed this in the shops I've been to around North Island, NZ, Syd, Mel, ADL, Darwin, etc. etc. and when I'm down under I wear very casual clothing (boardies, thongs, t-shirt).. I've never felt like I was watched like a hawk. Then again, I'm not paranoid (much)

Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
It's much cheaper to buy stuff there when converting to Aussie dollars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand